• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

ANU Basis of admission(Weighted Formula?)- PLEASE HELP (1 Viewer)

Hercules6

HSC
I am hoping to transfer into law at ANU next year.

If people could explain to me how ANU assign their applicants an entrance rank, I would greatly appreciate it.

Here is what I have done so far:
-I got an OP 17 (UAI equivalent of 61) in 06, (very shit I know)
-I went and got a Diploma of justice at TAFE in 07 (and got the best marks possible)
-I am currently doing law / psych at Griffith Uni (QLD), When I apply for ANU I will have done 1 year of law with at least a GPA of 5.0 hopefully.

On ANU's "Missed out website", they state "Each qualification's rank is combined in a weighted formula to give an applicant an overall Entrance Rank between 0 and 100." (http://info.anu.edu.au/studyat/student_administration/_missedout.asp#basis_

So ultimately;
How will they establish my rank using these qualifications?
Is it likely that my poor OP will massively drag my rank down?
Is a GPA of 5 good enough?

And overall do I really have a shot?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

L

Evilo

HSC
Contact them and apply, if you've done a year of uni and you're going well, then they're more likely to accept you. Just write that you've proved youself at uni, and you wish to transfer to follow your dreams etc.
As for the ranking process - i dont know sorry. I'll make the assumption there is a committee that decides whether you should come to anu.

Last edited:

Sammy-Blue

HSC
Assuming you're planning on transferring into law you might want to pull some HDs off (given the cut off was OP 3). Because yes, a 17 will probably pull you down a fair bit. Don't let it stop you though, just make up for the work I suspect you didn't do during year 12.

blacksunset

HSC
the OP shuldnt make a difference. as ur in the uni system, they will go on ur previous marks. dont stress about that. i know someone that got a 70 enter and is doing vet science now

Hercules6

HSC
I just got my first semester marks.
My cumulative GPA is 6.

I am getting really confused about how my application will be considered.
If people could look at this website and tell me what they think, I would be very grateful. http://law.anu.edu.au/undergraduate/Admission.asp

Look particularly at the "transferring from other law schools" section.
It doesn't seem to mention secondary results, but instead says "academic merit".

However are secondary results included when considering academic merit?

I am really confused and would really appreciate and feedback / suggestion?

Cheers

Sammy-Blue

HSC
Hercules6 said:
I just got my first semester marks.
My cumulative GPA is 6.

I am getting really confused about how my application will be considered.
If people could look at this website and tell me what they think, I would be very grateful. http://law.anu.edu.au/undergraduate/Admission.asp

Look particularly at the "transferring from other law schools" section.
It doesn't seem to mention secondary results, but instead says "academic merit".

However are secondary results included when considering academic merit?

I am really confused and would really appreciate and feedback / suggestion?

Cheers
"Some weighting is also placed on secondary results, so the lower the UAI score obtained the higher the tertiary results need to be."

Edit: I know this isn't under the other law schools heading, but in both cases it mentions no less than a full first year load, so I'd guess they would still look at your secondary results. Although it seems that if you were to have a second semester under your belt they would take only your tertiary results. Best bet is to shoot an e-mail to the law school explaining your situation and see what they have to say.

Last edited:

Hercules6

HSC
Sammy-Blue said:
"Some weighting is also placed on secondary results, so the lower the UAI score obtained the higher the tertiary results need to be."

Edit: I know this isn't under the other law schools heading, but in both cases it mentions no less than a full first year load, so I'd guess they would still look at your secondary results. Although it seems that if you were to have a second semester under your belt they would take only your tertiary results. Best bet is to shoot an e-mail to the law school explaining your situation and see what they have to say.
I have sent two emails over the past fortnight.
would you suggest that I call perhaps?

Sammy-Blue

HSC
Yeah. It is holidays, so depending on who you are trying to contact you might have some trouble (I can't imagine many admins hang around the law school during the break).

Evilo

HSC
Sammy-Blue said:
Yeah. It is holidays, so depending on who you are trying to contact you might have some trouble (I can't imagine many admins hang around the law school during the break).
especially if they're student receptionists

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)