ANU/Canberra 2011 Rollcall (1 Viewer)

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Hi everyone! I'll be at ANU next year doing a B. Asia-Pacific Studies. :)
Just a quick question, when ANU says I need to bring my 'offer letter and enrolment instructions' to my enrolment session, do they mean the letter I got from UAC which has my main round offer along with my list of preferences?
Because I don't recall getting any other mail from ANU apart from the enrolment info pack which was just my enrolment form and a few brochures.
Can find everything online http://www.anu.edu.au/sas/enrolments/instructions/1930.php is what I think they mean + your enrolment form for units

AussiePiranha

HSC
Did anyone get a "first year planner"? The enrolment thingo says to consult it, but I don't remember seeing anything like that...?

mmm_brrraains

HSC
N/A
It's just an A4 sheet of paper with a table with space for you to write in the courses you plan to do in each semester of your first year. Nothing that couldn't be replicated using MS Word or a pen and paper.

sezfoo

HSC
Did anyone actually get into Bruce? I deferred my B. Arts in 2010, did my accom application as soon as it was open and I still got into Ursies (my preference Bruce), and I didn't get my offer for accommodation until the 31st of Jan. I know I'm lucky to even get a place at all, but considering the 6 hour drive from my home town to Canberra I was relying on Bruce because of their allowances for overnight guests (my boyfriend is staying in my hometown). I think Bruce offers 14 (?) per semester whereas Ursies offers 2. Don't even get me started on contacting the parking office. Does anyone know if Ursies is flexible on their guest policy?

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
I've been told informally that it's not really enforced as long as you're not too obvious or excessive about it, but I haven't had any guests over so I don't know how true that is. (According to the 2010 Bruce handbook, at Bruce it's 2 weeks a year, not a semester.)

Our office staff are nice people so you might be able to persuade them otherwise. Personally though I think that the limit is there for good reason and I really wouldn't want to see non-residents staying in Hall every weekend.

tlodg

HSC
N/A
lol @ long distance relationships. *so* much effort, with little benefit at a young age. Sorry, but it just seems like a massive waste of time.
Some of them work..don't they?

Nelke

HSC
Some of them work..don't they?
I'm sure some of them do, but imo, it'd take a shitton of trust, patience and understanding for that to work.

I'm with Davo but, I think it's a bit too much of a hassle since well... we're young, aren't we? Still have our whole lives ahead of us, or something. But also, different strokes for different folk still applies.

vikraman

HSC
I'll be honest, i dont see anything we say having any effect on your decision. :p I remember having this argument with a girl in college about it. She was like "WE LOVE EACHOTHER AND THATS ALL THAT MATTERS". 6 months later they broke up, i wasnt surprised, but i didnt tell her that though :p
I would have told her. Bitches need to get told son. On the question of relationships, well my take is niggers gotta be ballin and strings don't help.

tlodg

HSC
N/A
some.... out of all the people i know, the only successful LD relationships i can remember lasting were where both people moved to canberra. (or the canberra person moved back home)

yeah, totally agree, its a big time commitment & pressure on both people. The fact of the matter is that both people will be doing their own things, and (despite planning) you'll have you're own stuff to do in canberra = overall too little time to travel to see eachother.

agreed, i assume tlodg is under 21, probably has had a limited number of partners? imho you're young, and should be free, i dont really see the point on putting pressure on yourself and your partner over something so trivial at such a young age. Sorry to burst your bubble.

I'll be honest, i dont see anything we say having any effect on your decision. :p I remember having this argument with a girl in college about it. She was like "WE LOVE EACHOTHER AND THATS ALL THAT MATTERS". 6 months later they broke up, i wasnt surprised, but i didnt tell her that though :p
I assure you I'm much older than you and I'm not under 21.
I just believe some would work (I mentioned some, not all).
I am a romantic person, and I believe that if it's true love it will eventually work out.
Not love, but true love...
you can argue that it doesn't exist --- everyone has a different view to these things.

How did you come up with the assumption that I had a limited number of partners?

Last edited:

tlodg

HSC
N/A
does it matter? (EDIT: you didnt deny it either)

my comment still stands.

drop me a pm when you graduate, if you're still together with your bf, i'll officially apologise to you, and use this form (which ill post at my expense)
It matters. It doesn't feel good to be judged simply from a question I've asked. Besides, who has an unlimited number of partners? I am not in a long distance relationship and nor do I need your apology. I was just curious what made you form so many judgements on me. You can have your own opinion about long distance relationships...I wasn't trying to prove that your comment about LDR was wrong.
Remember, I was trying to know whether other people believe some long distance relationships work.

Last edited:

tlodg

HSC
N/A
fair enough, the majority of the LDs i've seen are in love with their high school sweeheart - probably met around year 10, maybe a little earlier. If you're an exception to the stereotype, i apologise. But i've just seen so many 1st years being like "OUR LOVE IS DIFFERENT, WE WILL BE TOGETHER 4EVA", kinda get sick of it after a while, because its always the same.

Call me cynical, but meh.
I'm not even in a relationship..As for LDRs, I don't know if I would even try one myself.
I just thought some might work because: there are so many LDRs in the world,
some must work. I just didn't want to be seen as a naive person who knows nothing about the "real world"...I think most people won't be happy being seen as one who knows little due to lack of experience(s).

Nelke

HSC
Remember, I was trying to know whether other people believe some long distance relationships work.
IMO, they don't always work, but as you said, there's a difference between ~love~ and ~true love~ and well if it's ~true love~ it could work but at our age? (lets work off mine, which is, you know, eighteen/nineteen) What do we know about the differences between ~love~ and ~true love~?

I actually have a serious love (point proven? c;) for someone extremely close to me who'll stay behind in Sydney. IMO, if we're meant to be (like I think we might), then we'll just let these five years pass by now and if we are meant to be, then it'll work out then as much as it will now.

Those are my thoughts though.

alsobtw. More on topic: Assuming I rock up to my ~Surname Enrolment Day~ like I want to, even though I'm staying at UniLodge (with the intention of saying "I live off campus :|") for the sake of it, do I have to tell them where I live? Or rather, is it recorded? Like, will they check? So like, if i say "I live with my Aunt who lives on _____ Street which is like fifteen minutes away from the CBD" will they do anything that might get me in trouble seeing as I don't live there?

sezfoo

HSC
Haha, oh dear I didn't realise this would become such a big issue. As for the whole boyfriend staying with me all the time, I doubt it will be extreme, most likely one night a month or so. His work restricts his time to come to Canberra to one night stays, and rarely. I was just concerned if Ursies were to be strict on the issue it would cause some headaches. But for the whole 'is it really worth it' issue, I'm not going to speculate, just going to take things one day at a time. And no I'm not that naive to think it will survive on "true love". Seems like a touchy subject for some. I think you don't have to wait until you're 30 to find the right person and relationship, but hey if it takes till then so what? Everyone's different.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)