ANU Chatter Thread (1 Viewer)

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Re: ANU 2011 Semester 1 Chatter Thread

I wanted to go to ANU 'cause of a variety of reasons that include moving away from home, wanting to leave Sydney, wanting to be more independent, wanting the campus experience etcetcetc. But mostly because ANU is Australia's best university and I reckon' that if I can, then the best is where I'd want to be c:

That and ANU is supposedly great if you want to get into the field of politics, so that's why I'm here.

@azsakura, warrumbul is great. Though. It really is like living in a hotel :| It's hard to make friends :c But it's still lovely anyway.

@ajdlinux, ahahaha, I walked from UniLodge to the Civic Area and back again probably four times today just shopping and trying to get myself a new phone-plan with Vodafone.

And I can get the card in Civic? I asked reception and they said I had to go to the RTA in Dickson or wherever :s

How do you guys have so many things to carry? D: Or rather, how can you carry all of it?! My room seems ridiculously empty right now.
I moved in 5 hours ago and i already have too much shit

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC

So, since this thread is rather morbid, and lethargic I'll ask: Why did you guys choose to go to ANU? The prestige of the university, convenience of being close to your home, scholarship(s), or simply because they offered the course you wanted?
Thank you for livening up this thread!

Reasons for me were a mix of: reasonable distance (I'd have to go at least to Sydney anyway), good environment (it's not Sydney), prestige and academic excellence (particularly in politics).

ANU is the best for maths (imho) and Canberra looked okay for students to live in.
'Looked' being past tense. :p It's great once you find a place to live...

@ajdlinux, ahahaha, I walked from UniLodge to the Civic Area and back again probably four times today just shopping and trying to get myself a new phone-plan with Vodafone.

And I can get the card in Civic? I asked reception and they said I had to go to the RTA in Dickson or wherever :s
Civic Driver Licence Service at the Civic Library issues them. From UniLodge, walk along Childers St towards the School of Music, get to University Avenue, walk all the way down to London Crt (the Supreme Court), turn left and follow the road, eventually you'll find the library (near the Legislative Assembly). Inside, downstairs, take a ticket...

Nelke

HSC

Civic Driver Licence Service at the Civic Library issues them. From UniLodge, walk along Childers St towards the School of Music, get to University Avenue, walk all the way down to London Crt (the Supreme Court), turn left and follow the road, eventually you'll find the library (near the Legislative Assembly). Inside, downstairs, take a ticket...
I should probably write this down... except. I didn't bring any paper. Ahahahahahaha.

Thankyou! c:

Studentleader

HSC
N/A

nvm nelke doesnt catch buses :p

ajdlinux

HSC

bus from civic. 1.50 is a single (used with your concession card), gets you as much journey in an hour and a half)

$2.80 (?) is a daily and gives you unlimited all day.

Signal for bus, get on, pay at door, show concession card, he will give you a reciept, sit down on seat :)
Go to newsagent or similar shop. Buy ACTION Concession Faresaver 10, $12.60. Enjoy $1.26 bus rides and free transfers within 90 minutes.

Or eventually (hopefully this month or next), buy a MyWay card for $20, set up autoloading, and enjoy very cheap fares which automatically top up from your bank account.

ajdlinux

HSC

ajdlinux

HSC

The poster is wrong, at least if the trial period fares are anything to go by. They charge the same fare as the Faresaver 10, and maximum daily fare is capped at the current cost of a daily ticket.
The official fares have been released: http://www.transport.act.gov.au/myway/fares.html - same as Faresaver 10s.

On a completely unrelated matter: who's all psyched up for Monday?

Studentleader

HSC
N/A

Analysis I (Hons) is gonna tear me a new asshole

Studentleader

HSC
N/A

Ah, Analysis 1... so glad I'm not doing that. Doing Algebra 1 Honours in S2, that will be hard enough.

You taking MATH2301 or COMP2300 by any chance?
I'm doing COMP2300 - did enough of MATH2301 last year that I don't want to do it again.

I'll also be doing Algebra 1 next sem - i failed algebra last year soo bad

ajdlinux

HSC

I'm doing COMP2300 - did enough of MATH2301 last year that I don't want to do it again.
MATH2301 is a pretty easy course and it's somewhat boring at the moment...

Got into the Friday lab for 2300 when I really wanted the Wednesday afternoon one. :|

I'll also be doing Algebra 1 next sem - i failed algebra last year soo bad
That doesn't sound encouraging...

Studentleader

HSC
N/A

MATH2301 is a pretty easy course and it's somewhat boring at the moment...

Got into the Friday lab for 2300 when I really wanted the Wednesday afternoon one. :|

That doesn't sound encouraging...
I got the wednesday lab bl - what tute? And aren't you doing COMP2100?
yeah my math2301 was so easy my 90 got scaled down to a 50
yeah alegbra is pretty hard - not having a proper textbook was shit too.

ajdlinux

HSC

I got the wednesday lab bl - what tute? And aren't you doing COMP2100?
No, I'm not doing 2100. Why would I want to do 2100 when I've been programming since primary school? Unanimous opinion amongst people I've asked is that 2300 is orders of magnitude more interesting than 2100.

yeah my math2301 was so easy my 90 got scaled down to a 50
yeah alegbra is pretty hard - not having a proper textbook was shit too.
Hope that's not the case for me...

Studentleader

HSC
N/A

No, I'm not doing 2100. Why would I want to do 2100 when I've been programming since primary school? Unanimous opinion amongst people I've asked is that 2300 is orders of magnitude more interesting than 2100.

Hope that's not the case for me...
Yeah 2100 looks like what i did last year but i need it for algosssssssssss

Studentleader

HSC
N/A

Mhm. If I do decide I want to do Algorithms I think I'd rather get a waiver than do 2100...
Yeah I'll try to get a waiver if I can drop 2300 (depends on how much credit I get.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)