Any 2015s doing 4U maths? (Also 2015 4U maths thread) (1 Viewer)

turntaker

HSC
Who here is doing 4U maths. How are you finding it so far?

Axio

=o
HSC
Hey turntaker, I'm doing it as well :). Doing complex numbers first and finding it interesting, challenging but not too difficult (for now). Wbu?

merrick

HSC
does anybody know if geometric representations of complex numbers is being covered in your school?

J280

HSC
Hey turntaker, I'm doing it as well :). Doing complex numbers first and finding it interesting, challenging but not too difficult (for now). Wbu?
Exactly my thoughts :)

turntaker

HSC
Its challenging but interesting as well. I want to stick with it

iStudent

HSC
Yes ^_^

It's pretty cool right now - will get more challenging in the future tho
Yea I thought it was kinda easy when i first did complex too lol. But it does get harder. (although I thought it was aight all the way till harder 3u inequalities blegh)

callipygian

HSC
Yea I thought it was kinda easy when i first did complex too lol. But it does get harder. (although I thought it was aight all the way till harder 3u inequalities blegh)
yeah I thought the actual understanding involved in 4u wasn't as bad as it's made out to be, the difficult part for me was really just having the ability to attack those weird questions which comprise >50% of the 4u exams

BlugyBlug

HSC
Hey turntaker, I have this great video explaining the actual difficulty of the Extension 2 course. Being a past 4U student, I outline the main factors to determine if you should study the 4 unit course, hope you find it useful!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBRkz8e1nG4
Even if you're not interested in math in year 11, I'd still recommend doing 4U if you're decent at math.

I wasn't at all interested in math until I took up Ext2. It's a little sad because all mathematics before Ext2 is REALLY lacklustre and boring, despite this I did 4U partly because "why not" and a lot of my friends did it. In the end the subject actually CAUSED my interest and I really started to enjoy math sometime around the graphs topic (Conics was a pretty big bump though).

Divinitus

HSC
Picked it because I formulated a true appreciation for Maths in the last term of Year 11, and it has been brilliant so far. Complex numbers are awesome! :D

turntaker

HSC
Picked it because I formulated a true appreciation for Maths in the last term of Year 11, and it has been brilliant so far. Complex numbers are awesome! :D
Yeah. Another cool thing about complex numbers is that i^i which is imaginary gives a real number xD

turntaker

HSC
I think the reason I am doing 4U maths is because it will help me a lot in the future since I will be doing computer science. I think if you don't do 4U you will struggle in uni if you're doing engineering or heavy math based courses.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yes, but what does it actually MEAN?
Visually I mean.
I think that's not the right question to be asking at this stage, considering this is his first exposure to complex numbers.

Suck them in first with those neat results, without proof initially.

Then dig into the Maths behind it.

braintic

HSC
N/A
I think that's not the right question to be asking at this stage, considering this is his first exposure to complex numbers.

Suck them in first with those neat results, without proof initially.

Then dig into the Maths behind it.
I was asking out of sheer curiosity.
I have no idea how to visualize i^i.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)