• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

any advice for a diploma in law student? (1 Viewer)

Minax

HSC
I'm in my first year of the diploma in law course and planning to study full-time next semester. After reading the posts here, it looks like that it is a very competitive field and I'm really uncertain about my future. For those of you who have succeeded in getting an offer from a top/mid tier firm, would you be kind enough to give me some advice? I would like to know exactly what I should do to prepare myself in this competition? Good marks - D in all subjects? Second language? a proper law degree as opposed to my diploma? An interesting hobby?

PS. I had a few years of work experience as a translator and a first degree in journalism. I'm still doing a little bit of translation and investigative journalism on the side only when an interestin job comes up. Will my age/non-legalexperience be viewed against me? :fish:

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Good marks, good work experience (volunteer at community legal centre, a law firm etc) and if you can some kind of mooting or activity the only problem you may face in the last one is I don't know what they offer through the LPAB because it is not a university.

Minax

HSC
Good marks, good work experience (volunteer at community legal centre, a law firm etc) and if you can some kind of mooting or activity the only problem you may face in the last one is I don't know what they offer through the LPAB because it is not a university.
Melsc, thank you. I have already done 4 subjects with 16 left to finish in 2 years. Transfer is not really a good option financially or time-wise. What about doing an LLM right after my course? How is an LLM viewed by the industry?

flamearrows

come on die young
HSC
Melsc, thank you. I have already done 4 subjects with 16 left to finish in 2 years. Transfer is not really a good option financially or time-wise. What about doing an LLM right after my course? How is an LLM viewed by the industry?
I don't think it adds a great deal, and it is expensive. A better bet would be any sort of legal experience in that time.

Minax

HSC
Thank you guys. I just started looking for volunteer work at legal centres.:guitar:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)