Any help with my problem? (1 Viewer)

jassono

HSC
Hey everyone, i've lately thought a little too far ahead with my subjects and all
Right now i have 12 units, 3 maths, 3 english, economics, business and modern history (all 2 of course)
I see myself doing 4 maths and probably 3 english (if im unfortunate, then advanced), either way i have 10 or 11 units
its just the other two subjects, im sticking with econ, but its a toss up between modern and business

A pro for business is that its a relatively easy subject to modern, and i dont see myself having TOO much difficulty with it
With modern, i believe the scaling is a fair bit more than business, and its more of a 'real subject' my teachers say

What do you guys think i should do?
Im fairly sure that business wont be hard for me, i havent gotten back any assessment marks yet though
and with modern, i am an alright average student

I'll wait till my half yearly report but till then, what do you think?

Danke!!

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
I always thought it's a bit pointless to do both buisness and eco. Eco scales so much better, and its still dead easy.

HSC
well, until you get your half yearly report i'd say ask a couple of people in the year above you what the topics are in modern and business and see which interests you more... HSC business studies is pretty boring IMO (but as you said, easy, and doesn't scale as well), but i'd say keep both for a while in year twelve to see which you like more. don't make a decision until you've done a bit of the course, in case you regret it later.

selablad

HSC
Doing modern gives you a bit of variety, depends on how much that matters to you. Which one's more interesting to you?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Hey Jas. :)
Wait til we get our meeting with Jaggar, then decide - but you've always got until Term 3 to drop it (that means that you have until your Yearly report to decide, too).

To be honest, it all depends on you. Personally, having done Business Studies in year 10, I always found it a bit of a bore, however, the exams turned out to be quite easy. And according to the accelerants in our grade, who are doing BS, HSC Business studies is even more boring (dunno whether or not it's the subject, or Howey's way of teaching).

Modern seems to be more enjoyable. The accelerants in Modern all enjoy it, and for me, I always enjoyed History, since it was more interesting and engaging than BS was. But once again, that's just a personal perspective.

As for accelerants quitting the subject in Year 11 - four people dropped out of BS from our grade, compared to zero from Modern. Probably says something about how interesting the courses are.

Good luck Jason.

bekibear

HSC
personally i'd say wait a bit and see which subject you like doing better. i think i agree with selablad, modern might give you some more variety in your subject which would be good..

adidasboy

weee
HSC
Yeah I'd pick Modern History, from what I hear from my friends- Business is a bit too easy.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
Business is really fun & easy to do well in.
Scaling won't affect you to bad if you get >90.

Business is my favourite subject, doing economics also makes it seem alot easier, and i really enjoy it.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
if you find something easy you should stick with it so my advice is to stick with bussiness

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
risole91 said:
Business is really fun & easy to do well in.
Scaling won't affect you to bad if you get >90.

Business is my favourite subject, doing economics also makes it seem alot easier, and i really enjoy it.
Unfortunately, it still affects you if you got over 90. Even if you get 95 in Business Studies, you get scaled mark that is less than 90.

Business Studies' scaling = works badly you

Last edited:
HSC
lyounamu said:
Unfortunately, it still affects you if you got over 90. Even if you get 95 in Business Studies, you get scaled mark that is less than 90.

Business Studies' scaling = always works against you
^ yup. wish i knew that before i picked it. if i'm getting scaled down i may as well be doing something more interesting/challenging (i.e. economics. why the heck did i not do eco!!!).

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
foram said:
Yea, why? Economics is so dead easy. I wonder why it scales well?
Probably due to people who are doing it. Economics attracts top ends of 'academic' students. More of 'academic' students, the higher the scaling will be.

jassono

HSC
Alright thanks everybody
I guess i enjoy modern history more, its just im worried i wont do too well in the coming year, so far its ok but it's so different to what i was used to in year 10-everybody in my class seems to already have a wealth of knowledge about everything in history, whereas my business class is a bunch of greasy nerds
I'll wait it out, but history sounds more challenging (great:() and helpful

Whoot~

~aussiegirl!~

08 sac baby!
HSC
its all about what you enjoy, and know that you will do well in!
not the scaling who cares, just make sure u do well and enjoy it, then you will be fine!:sleep:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)