• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Any one want to medicine at uni? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

outwide

HSC
so i know that i realy want to do medicine at uni in 2007 but i dunno if i'll get the marks i'm in the top 10 for all of my subjects at school but i dunno if that's enough.... anyone else in the same situation or anyone else go undergraduate to medicine? help.... lol

P

pLuvia

I want to either do pharmacy or medical science. The MBBS requires a UAI of at least 99.90 or 99.95 I think, to be able to do it, and some also require you to sit the UMAT or STAT test depending on the university

Check the UAC website and look for the courses and their UAI or actually go to the university and search for the courses

outwide

HSC
yeah western sydney uni is opening a medical wing next year min. uai 92 plus for medicine, what sort of marks are you getting?

P

pLuvia

Marks are not the thing you should be worried about, its ranks that are more important. So seeing as your top 10 for all your subjects and good ranked school? I are on your way for 90+

outwide

HSC
so far after 2,3 assesments im 4th in dt mulitimedia, 6th society, 9th english adv, 5 math adv, 3 business .... i dunno what that equates to, my schools only been around for about three years so i'm not sure how were reanked in the state
you think your on your way to med. so far?

H

housemouse

outwide said:
so far after 2,3 assesments im 4th in dt mulitimedia, 6th society, 9th english adv, 5 math adv, 3 business .... i dunno what that equates to, my schools only been around for about three years so i'm not sure how were reanked in the state
you think your on your way to med. so far?
You dont do any sciences so you have to fix that up before uni starts.

rocafella32

HSC
whoever said you got to get 99 or 98 to get into med is crazy....what they look at is how well you did in the umat, which is like a GA test basically and all you got to do is get a cut off uai of 93-94 and then you hopefully got yourself a interview....im trying out this year undergrad, and hopefully aiming for newcastle....if you want nsw then your looking at getting a uai 98+ cause of so much demand

Riviet

HSC
N/A
That's true, it doesn't mean that if you get high 90's, you are guaranteed to get into medical. The interview will probably be the final deciding factor as they see how you are in communication skills and whether you're suitable on top of your UAI and UMAT results.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
housemouse said:
You dont do any sciences so you have to fix that up before uni starts.
Sciences are good precursors for Medicine, but neither Newcastle nor UNSW require any of the sciences as prerequisites for the undergrad Medicine course.

I was thinking about doing Medicine, but I don't think I will now. It takes too long and it's too much work... I'm not that crazy about it. :p

I_F

Sam.

bored.
HSC
insert-username said:
Sciences are good precursors for Medicine, but neither Newcastle nor UNSW require any of the sciences as prerequisites for the undergrad Medicine course.
There's a good chance you'll fail your first years though. A lot of the course essentially requires Year 11-12 Chemistry and Physics knowledge. Most of HSC Biology is repeated.

I want to apply for the course (at Newy, Syd or UNSW). Does anyone know when and where you get admission forms etc. you have to fill out and send in beforehand? I know a guy at my school who's already gone around to get letters of recommendation and I was just wondering if anyone knew what the deal was.

Last edited:

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
Sam. said:
There's a good chance you'll fail your first years though.
Hence the "good precursors". :p

Sam. said:
I want to apply for the course (at Newy, Syd or UNSW). Does anyone know when and where you do the UMAT course, and what forms etc. you have to fill out and send it beforehand. I know a guy at my school who's already gone around to get letters of recommendation and I was just wondering if anyone knew what the deal was.
All the information you need on UMAT is available here, the UMAT homepage. Registrations will open after the Easter break and the test itself will be on Wednesday July 26. You can email the UMAT office to be sent an information booklet with more details.

I_F

dora_18

HSC
and just as well that they introduced the freaking umat and postgraduate medicine...all the freaking nerds out there who think that just becuase they get 99.99 in every exam think they'll also make good doctors...what a load of crap...i mean sure you need pretty decent marks but dont do it just becuase your parents are forcing you to...or just becuase you got the marks for it...or because( and i know this sounds idiotic but it happens) you think it'll be like greys anatomy..or scrubs..or house.... you need passion, and if you're lacking that then i guarantee you'll drop out first year

HSC
I agree totally with that, i think that when you want to become a doctor you need some drive to help ppl etc and take everything that goes with it, alot of ppl see it as a respectable job and relatively good pay but yea i guess thats why so many ppl drop out b4 the end....

dora_18

HSC
i know so many people who do medicine...some who have already graduated..and my friends say you have some people that dont even know how to speak english properly treating patients...i mean sure they get to the right diagnosis but a patient wants more..they want communication, they want to see a person in front of them who can support them and get through a certain problem..not a person who can spit out facts and figures...

stainmepink

HSC
im confused. The universities decide whether to give us a med interview based on our ESTIMATED UAI right? do they also hand out offers before the actual UAIs are released? because i fucked my internal exams big time and i'm really worried.

dora_18

HSC
....ok...you sit your hsc final exams right...meantime in july you sit the umat...when you get your uai you finalise preferences for uni ....meantime umat people select individuals for interviews based on what you received in the umat, after you get your uai you will receive an offer if your uai is high enough if you've gotten through the interview successfully
eg-scenario 1: you sit the umat and get an awesome score and you get a letter home saying tha you've been successful and you get an interview...you pass the interview get a uai of 92+ and successuly get a 1st or 2nd or maybe 3rd round offer

scenario 2: you get an awesome score in your umat, you get an interview and flunk it, even if you get a uai of 100 you wont get a place becuase you've failed the interview

scenario 3: you screw everything up and dont get an interview, ie no medicine for you this year....

once you sit the interview you will receive notification in the mail if you've been successful in passing the interview.....from then on all you have to do it get a uai 92+

stainmepink

HSC
dora_18 said:
....ok...you sit your hsc final exams right...meantime in july you sit the umat...when you get your uai you finalise preferences for uni ....meantime umat people select individuals for interviews based on what you received in the umat, after you get your uai you will receive an offer if your uai is high enough if you've gotten through the interview successfully
eg-scenario 1: you sit the umat and get an awesome score and you get a letter home saying tha you've been successful and you get an interview...you pass the interview get a uai of 92+ and successuly get a 1st or 2nd or maybe 3rd round offer

scenario 2: you get an awesome score in your umat, you get an interview and flunk it, even if you get a uai of 100 you wont get a place becuase you've failed the interview

scenario 3: you screw everything up and dont get an interview, ie no medicine for you this year....

once you sit the interview you will receive notification in the mail if you've been successful in passing the interview.....from then on all you have to do it get a uai 92+

thanks for answering dora, but the thing is they give out interviews when the actual UAI isn't realeased yet! meaning the people who have good estimated uais (but say hypothetically fuck up the actual HSC) have the upper hand over someone whos already fucked their internal but will presumably do well in the real hsc. do they hand out places for med before the uai results are released? im still confused.

dora_18

HSC
ok..yes theoretically they'll give you a first round offer based on your umat mark and if you successfuly get through the interview ie. BEFORE the uai is released....if you screw up ur uai that place will no longer be open to you....like my friend got an offer right after she did her umat exam and interview...she got 1st round offers into medicine...luckily she did well in her hsc and uai and got offered 2nd round offer @ newcastle....this is because UMAT give you a offer through your umat score and UAC give you an offer based on your uai....

just to confuse you..thats another thing you need to take into consideration..if you ace umat and the interview and you get offered a place...when uac given out their 1st/2nd/3rd round offers you MAY not get one in the first round...thats what happened to my friend...she got offered a 1st round offer through umat but then when uac brang out their 1st round offers she didnt get one and she was so upset...and she was going to do medical science instead...and then in 2nd round offers she got one....

in a nut shell: YES they hand out offers before uais are released :p

hope this time i answered the question....:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)