• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Any one want to medicine at uni? (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
For all health practitioners, we can only hope he is a rarity.

As for not needing a passion to do something, I find that to be just plain incredible. Take my job, I'm a checkout chick, and yeah, I have no passion in that itself. I do, however, have a passion for talking to people, interacting with customers, and thats what keeps me there.

My course (Occupational Therapy), we started with 55 people in first year. Now second year, we're down to 40 people. Yeah, there were a few that left for other reasons, but overwhelmingly, most were because they simply didn't have the passion for the field.

dora_18

HSC
im glad that so many people share the opinion for requiring passion, good to see guys!:D

For all health practitioners, we can only hope he is a rarity
lol...you took the words right out of my mouth...

funnybunny

funniest bunny in th land
HSC
hey hipsta..i stopped reading your post after seeing "i;m a checkout chick"..

what makes you think i want to do medicine?
well when u say :-
"ok i need some help....preferably from someone whos doing graduate medicine @ sydney....i want to do med postgrad but this GAMSAT exam just freaks me out.."
i think it suggests u want to do med....

hmm...i just did a google search on Bayley Seton Hospital ..

"Save Bayley Seton Hospital Petition"
www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/629112651

is this the hospital ur talking about?
.yea, im pretty much done

Last edited:

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Wow, that was intelligent of you, I was expecting some snide remark about OT's being "basket weavers". You've managed to take a step up from that by insulting my current job, rather than my future one. I'm impressed, I really am.
My job is purely for no reason other than to get me through uni (and, it just happens to work wonders for increasing my people skills)

If you're like this on a seemingly anonymous internet forum, I'd hate to see your bedside manner.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
hmmmm id have to say funnybunny is right about certain things

Passion for the work..
there are a few that arent and they are doing well.. generally tho they have very little passion for anything at all.
also u cant make a career out of just any of your interests.. it may not maintain a lifestyle... those that realise that they hate it eventually do other things.. i know a couple of 60 yr olds that realised this.. they cope just fine.

dropping out
the main factor is the workload and the stress of keeping up. social support/finance/psychological factors usually also play a part..

TV vs Reality
There is some resemblance but obviously u cant experience all of medicine in 30mins - 1 hr shows.. no matter how many episodes...
moderately-low realistic: ER, Grays, Scrubs
unrealistic: House

also doctors do not look that good after a shift..
med students dun look that good pre-exam they look lik complete shyt ...
no matter wat uni - from my experience UMelb, UAdel, UNSW, UNCLE, UWA, Monash..
and as a cohort they seem to have the worse personal lives and substance abuse disorders.

on the converse:
about massive egos.. no its not a rarity... they make some of the best medics once they have it undercontrol cos they are so determined to be right usually it happens by end of the course =) cos otherwise they just drop out..

even when i read the post from dora_18 I realise it was a misunderstanding... UNCLE uses the UMAT
UNSW uses UMAT + estimated UAIs
to allocate interviews

dun judge a person's uni course by their part time job... u may end up working under them one day... just cos u cant juggle a job while doing medicine doesnt mean anyone who can in another course is a lesser person.. lots of ppl do work that isnt exactly challenging cos they like it to 'escape' from uni work..

some jobs i recall med ppl doing are.. professional sports (e.g NBL player).. lots of ppl tutor.. heaps of other drive delivery (pizza, parcels etc)... work at supermarkets.. at fast food places... lab technicians.. sales ppl etc...
personally im a lil offended cos i work at coles as a shelf stacker.. ..

and
OTs are some of the best ppl... I have a strange feeling u have little understanding of their role in medicine tho..

/end rant..

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Was the "OTs are some of the best ppl... I have a strange feeling u have little understanding of their role in medicine tho.." aimed at me or that other dude?! Coz I'm a little confused now ;)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
hipsta_jess said:
Was the "OTs are some of the best ppl... I have a strange feeling u have little understanding of their role in medicine tho.." aimed at me or that other dude?! Coz I'm a little confused now ;)
you of course ;)

he just needs to learn that OTs are as important as medical practitioners and should be admire for both professional and personal reasons :)

tennille

HSC
funnybunny said:
hey hipsta..i stopped reading your post after seeing "i;m a checkout chick"..
I stopped reading your post after seeing it was incoherent. ;)

dora_18

HSC
well when u say :-
"ok i need some help....preferably from someone whos doing graduate medicine @ sydney....i want to do med postgrad but this GAMSAT exam just freaks me out.."
i think it suggests u want to do med....
ever head of people CHANGING their mind? that post was written a while ago....and ill give u one guess what facotors attributed to changing my mind too

hmm...i just did a google search on Bayley Seton Hospital ..
lol a google search now you're just lame..but i guess you had to check if i was lying...? so how increadibly persistant of you!...anyway point is the hospital exists and so do the people tha work there...and that website can be perceived as a complete crock of shit...you do realise that people put all kinds of things on the net right? do they teach you that in med school??what you choose to believe is up to you...but considering you ARE in medicine shouldnt you be busy with.."something" instead of proving your point on a forum?

dora_18

HSC
i think one final note "funnybunny"...you need to take into account that all these people seem to find many problems with and your attitude towards certain things for a reason! and hipstajess is right...god id hate to see your bedside manner..but i guess that would be explained by your lack of passion for the job..so its ok!!

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
you of course ;)

he just needs to learn that OTs are as important as medical practitioners and should be admire for both professional and personal reasons :)
haha, I was going to be more than just a little concerned if you thought I could get this far into my course with little/no understanding of the OT role in the healthcare network!

funnybunny

HSC
I thought i'd add this ...

you need to take into account that all these people seem to find many problems
You need to take into account of ALL posts on this thread e.g. pointdexter

Changing ur mind a while ago? yep im sure...
and ill give u one guess what facotors attributed to changing my mind too
If u base ur decision not to go into med solely on one person, then ireally hav to question ur supposed “passion”

t...you do realise that people put all kinds of things on the net right? do they teach
Actually yeah..as pointdexter would prob tell u, we med students have gone through rigouros tutorials about computer resources and searching ....besides it's a petition....it's pretty obvious that it's not a crackpot who put it up there.

and also did u realise that the info ur getting are from AMERICAN doctors ..and their health system is basically screwed.

"id hate to see your bedside manner..but i guess that would be explained by your lack of passion for the job..so its ok!!" Great diagnosis!..im sure ur goin to become an outstanding doctor..eg. hmm…"it seems that ur ulcer can be explained by the fact that u hav red hair)

considering you ARE in medicine shouldnt you be busy with.."something" instead of proving your point on a forum?
no...u must hav sum warped view of what studying med is like...if u knew ANYTHING about medicine...it does give u freetime...pointdexter and many other medical students frequently post...
i seriously doubt u know anything about medicine

btw pointdexter, i didnt say that OTs are less important than medical professionals .... im sure u'd agree that we get the concept of working with other disciplines drilled into us since the start of first year..lol

Last edited:

Maxi

Bust
HSC
funnybunny, which uni are u at...cos if ur at unsw ull find med to be a pretty big challenge....the introductory course there for 1st yrs is an absolute blugde, but things only get worse from there

dora_18

HSC
oh wow what do you know! if you dont want to hear it from someone like me who has no 'apparent idea' about medicine..then take it from a guy whos in your same course and uni....and o-m-g he has a similar opinion!!!lol now we all know for a fact you're screwed.....

now stop backing yourself up with "pointdexter" said just because he agreed on a few things with you and go watch "House"

funnybunny

HSC
and o-m-g he has a similar opinion!
seriously what is this ape logic?...
yes he has a similar opoinon as i that med gets harder in the next few yrs.

agreed with a few things? no i thinke he blew ur argument to pieces...
na ill watch prisonbreak...maybe u can go back to ur fantasy world where house and JD come tru.

seriously do u type random phrases up and string them together and convicne urself that ur a genius?

serious ape go back to the zoo

Last edited:

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
i really want to do medicine as a course, but i doubt i will get a high enough uai. The max uai i would ever get would probably just at early 90's.

P

pLuvia

yoakim said:
i really want to do medicine as a course, but i doubt i will get a high enough uai. The max uai i would ever get would probably just at early 90's.
There are different ways you can do a medical course, i.e. medical science which is I think 94 in USYD and 85 in UNSW? and also you can transfer if you do well enough stay positive ;)

funnybunny

HSC
low 90s would be hard but with a very good umat and an excellent interview u prob could get in...e.g some unis only look at interview (but to qualify u need at least 93) u should find more info about unis such as adeladie, newcastle, qld

but to get into unsw would be difficult (average was like 99.8) unless u apply throuhg access etc.

but goodluck
u could always do postgraduate or transfer

dora_18

HSC
10 points for originality man

seriously do u type random phrases up and string them together and convicne urself that ur a genius
serious ape go back to the zoo

with the extreme level of intellect and sophistication within those 2 phrases you really should fire those 2 comments back at yourself!!! i also find it ironic that you're insulting MY intellect when you can't even spell "convince"

the broken up "omg" ie "o-m-g" exemplifies emphasis on the phrase itself....go read a novel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)