Any other dancers here? (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
Just wondering how you manage to a) keep in shape and b) keep your technique up over the long year of doing almost nothing other than sitting at the computer typing and typing and typing... (particularly if you don't go to a PA school)

Best wishes!
glitterfairy

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
haha lolz me too ... like i danced when i was lil' an stuff but no longer no more

my frienz who dance run to keep in shape though so yeah

mayhemily

HSC
ahhh dancing... I almost wrote 'yeah, I do' then i remembered I dont anymore... too damaging to my self-confidence. Miss it though.

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
I did Ballet for 10 years, but quit a few years ago to concentrate on something else. It got a bit too bitchy for my liking.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I just didn't keep in shape....

But I never was in shape anyway!

I just dance for fun....

dancegal

HSC
i have danced since i was 5 and still do...
i HATE not being the standard I was about 2 years ago- it really sucks and when i look back at eistedford and performance videos and photos i wish i was still fit/toned/thin.

neway, since year 10 i have cut down classes heaps so im only doing 2 a week. the first thing i noticed when i cut down classes was that i had to cut down food too if i wanted to stay in shape!

my teacher says if u maintain just a little bit of ur dancing fitness (flexibility etc.), ur technique wont suffer too much when u go back to it. so keep up pilates and go running about twice a week coz its worth it in the long term! another thing ive found helpful is sydney dance company open classes - u can go whenever, pick what class and what style and it'll help u keep in shape and help ur technique.

Last edited:

rubylotus11

I did Ballet for 4 years from 7-10 and jazz ballet for 2 from 11-12.
I love dancing, but my teacher was a really horrible lady and my friends stopped when we went to highschool so I just stopped too. But I am thinking of taking it up again just for fun and going to the Sydney Dance company open classes. Although I haven't danced in so long I think I could make a bit of an idiot out of myself.

Sasky

HSC
I try to get to the SDC classes as often as I can too, they are such fun, I usually stay on for another class! I love jazz and contempo, but I haven't done classical for awhile...
HSC has been pretty bad on my dancing though, I wish I could do it more often! I keep in shape mainly because I'm naturally quite thin and also because I watch what I eat pretty well. With technique, since I don't get to practise that much, when I go for walks or runs I always do stretches and practise positions for about 10-15 mins and always, always stretch, +c @ home - its just so comforting and relaxing.
I used to go to the gym, but time and money does get tight during yr 12, so I quit that about two months ago.
Anyway, I guess I try to fit what I can, when I can to help with the HSC and everything else.

toms

I started dancing last year! Bit of a late bloomer...

I started a jazz class at the local studio because I had to dance in the school musical production, so I needed to learn, but then found that I absolutely loved it! Now I dance for 3-4hours every night of the week, except Thursdays and Sundays.. I'm doing year12 but if I don't do it now, when will I get to do it?

It's tough, but you only get one shot at life..and the HSC isn't the end of the world. Besides, you have to have something to do other than study...

Benno

HSC
i find dancing out at nightclubs is really fun, especily when ur the only guy out there :D

epimetheus

i have a strong passion in dancing. group, solo, in the kitchen when no one's watching.

<_<

>_>

<_<

In no way am i fit... but i'm going to be once the HSC is over and i get more time. i'm planning to do jazz, contemporary, hiphop, etc at the wharf when i can next year....

babygoose!

>>rraahhh<<
HSC
i dance as well, but now only once a week..a combo class of ballet, jazz, modern, contemporary and tap that goes for about 2.5 to 3 hrs...it works out pretty good..

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
I did 6 years of jazz, tap and ballet, although tap was the only one I was ever really good at. I'd recommend about 1/2 hour of pilates a day though, and running/walking 3 times a week and you should have no problems staying fit or toned

yulia

i'm sorry for your face.
HSC
I'm a tap dancer. Started mucking about with tap when I was 3 or 4. But then I moved here...didn't find another teacher until I was 6...then she moved...didn't find another teacher until I was 9...but I knew more than her and somehow already knew the dances she was teaching us :S...so I left after a year and just danced on my own for fun. I run...hehe on an airofit to keep fit, and whenever I'm standing about doing nothing much, like brushing my teeth, I do lunges or something...and when I'm waiting for food in the microwave, I do sit ups. Haha, my theory is, the sit ups will cancel out the food I'm about to eat. But then again, I'm not in fantastic tone, but I don't jiggle...lol...and anyways, as my friend always, ALWAYS reminds me..."you know...you're kinda small...."

This year was the first time tap dancing for me since I left lessons btw, and I had to do so for the musical..hehe I made each dance up on the night, but they still loved me!

HSC
N/A
Wow all this is really positive!! :D:D

Sorry that I haven't really checked this post since I originally posted it-

For anyone that's interested, I'm doing two classes a week (I'm still competing in McDonald's Performing Arts Challenge- Solo and Troupe this year, forte is tap) and moaning around the rest of the time. Yikes, I did 30 hrs a week in Yr 10, and I was at a selective school!!!!

Everybody says that you just have to keep working on at home, and I did the whole "Stetch for an hour every night" thing for about 9 months two years ago...lol, really couldn't motivate myself to do the same thing now lol...

Like the above poster, I also have a small frame and perhaps this is what's stopped me from looking too "beached whale"-ish, but honestly, when the "layer of fat for the winter" starts to hang around long into summer, it's a tad discerning... it WILL go away after the HSC, right? Right? :S

yulia

i'm sorry for your face.
HSC
lol yes IT WILL IT WILL!! Think of all the after HSC partying...I've managed to fight off the winteritis this year as I've been sick and have only been eating soup and toast....mmmm even thought I've been eating it 4 times a day. But it's soooo annoying trying to dance in this cold. I put all on my clothes and start dancing then I feel too hot and have to take all the clothes of and then it's too cold. ARGH!!

HSC
Originally posted by yulia
lol yes IT WILL IT WILL!! Think of all the after HSC partying...I've managed to fight off the winteritis this year as I've been sick and have only been eating soup and toast....mmmm even thought I've been eating it 4 times a day. But it's soooo annoying trying to dance in this cold. I put all on my clothes and start dancing then I feel too hot and have to take all the clothes of and then it's too cold. ARGH!!
ditto^

lengstar

HSC
i'm not a professional or student of dancing...yet
my friend went to mcdonald college originally as a ballerina then a violinist.
i like to dance like micheal jackson though

Lundy

Banned
HSC
The only form of dance I ever learnt was irish dancing, for about 4 years. Still have my trophies from the days when I was actually physically active. I must say no other type of dance has prettier costumes. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)