• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Any Point Transferring from Monash Law to ANU? (1 Viewer)

jonceg

HSC
Hello

Been reading these forums for a couple of months now and thought I'd finally get around to asking a question or two :)

I currently study Commerce/Law at Monash and am in 2nd year. I've got to thinking lately and have been reading around, and was actually warming up to the idea of transferring to ANU to continue/complete my degree since everything about it sounds so great! And I get excited about unis that sound great (oh yeh!) - but I have a couple of reservations.

1. Is there really any point moving from Monash to ANU? I mean I know ANU must be great (that's all I've been reading about on here lol) but is there much of a difference with Monash (especially law) to make a change worth my time?

2. Since everyone says uni rankings are based on research output, how does ANU rate for undergraduate performance/student satisfaction? Does ANU only excel in regard to postgraduate studies? :/

3. With having recently changed commerce majors, I figure I have another 3-4 years at uni to go... is there anyone living on campus that has/will be spending that long there? Is that daunting to you, living away from home for so long?

4. From the residences I've been reading, apart from Ursula, it sounds like (almost) everyone is a pisshead lol... I like to go drinking and get trashed every now and again, but most of the time I'm a more "serious" type of person lol who likes to read the newspaper and talk about news lol :/ I'd say I have a 80/20 quiet-loud ratio :p are there any residences with people like that? Or is everyone mostly like the jocks type? :confused: I'd be scared to be living around super loud ppl where I'm the only book-loving nerdish-type around lol

yeh any help would be great, I know sometimes these questions seem to be asked over and over but I've read as much as I can, and sometimes theres no other way to get any useful info other than ppl that actually GO to the place you're talking about

so any help would be greatly appreciated :)

cheers big ears

jon

Last edited:

Evilo

HSC
Hey there
I can really only answer the latter questions because i do a bachelor of Science
jonceg said:
2. Since everyone says uni rankings are based on research output, how does ANU rate for undergraduate performance/student satisfaction? Does ANU only excel in regard to postgraduate studies? :/
I don't have the stats on me (i actually went to look them up but couldn't find the relevant ones). I think the satisfaction here is pretty good - i have had a great time, and although there are times when you get bogged with work - overall most of my courses are going well. I can't really make a comparison with other uni's because i haven't been to them. But living on campus really makes the courses alot more interesting. I socialize a lot with people in my course (and outside too). As far as my friends go - everyone has those "moments" when their course is hard, but overall i think everyone here is having a good time :)

jonceg said:
3. With having recently changed commerce majors, I figure I have another 3-4 years at uni to go... is there anyone living on campus that has/will be spending that long there? Is that daunting to you, living away from home for so long?
I've had a blast so far, so 4 years interstate isn't really a concern for me. At johns there are many people that spend 3-4 years+ living on campus. Home sickness doesn't really affect you when you get here - you make a new circle of friends (remember everyone here is in the same boat) and everyone gets on surprisingly well :) its a great community. theres always something to do (despite what people say) and i have never had one of those "i wish i was at home" moments. your mates will help you out if you have any troubles - we all look after one-another here :)

jonceg said:
4. From the residences I've been reading, apart from Ursula, it sounds like (almost) everyone is a pisshead lol... I like to go drinking and get trashed every now and again, but most of the time I'm a more "serious" type of person lol who likes to read the newspaper and talk about news lol :/ I'd say I have a 80/20 quiet-loud ratio :p are there any residences with people like that? Or is everyone mostly like the jocks type? :confused: I'd be scared to be living around super loud ppl where I'm the only book-loving nerdish-type around lol
The forums give a generalization of each hall, but i would say Johns would be the loudest. It's not wild every night of the week though - just a Thursday night (as would be most halls). considering your quite "conservative" - i would be more inclined to go to ursies (catered) or fenner (self catered) if i was you.

No problems jon
you must apply soon though - so go online and APPLY NOW
regards Oliver

Epic_Postings

lol wut?
HSC
Dear Jon,

Don't leave Melbourne for Canberra if you are already doing law at Monash.

*edit: There is no point - Referring to the name of thread.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)