Any questions about first year at university? (1 Viewer)

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Hey, I'm free to answer any questions about first year at university, more helpful for UNSW students and moreso math and/or comp. sci students. I can help assist with queries since I get that uni can be confusing at first.

Can't guarantee I'll be able to answer all questions nor will I be active on this thread but I can give my own personal advice as someone who finished first year this year. Feel free to Private Message if needed.

Thought I'd just do something to give back to the forum and stuff I learnt from people here. Cheers 👍

Trippzy

HSC
Hey, I'm free to answer any questions about first year at university, more helpful for UNSW students and moreso math and/or comp. sci students. I can help assist with queries since I get that uni can be confusing at first.

Can't guarantee I'll be able to answer all questions nor will I be active on this thread but I can give my own personal advice as someone who finished first year this year. Feel free to Private Message if needed.

Thought I'd just do something to give back to the forum and stuff I learnt from people here. Cheers 👍
how good is sof eng at unsw

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC

How to social life

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Update:

I'll be answering these questions with a group of people who you might or might not know. This will be a group response.

liamkk112

HSC

should i go to unsw or uts for maths, if i get a scholarship at uts

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
How to social life
The consul says:

1. talk to people in your tutes and go to societies and events
  2. continue extra-curricular events if you can and take up leadership roles
  3. Join university committees to interact with other people
  4. Don't do CS
  5. Go O-week and meet other people :)
  6. Meet other people from BoS doing the same degree + going to the same uni as you (easy strat 10/10)
  7. Take subjects with group projects since bonding with teammates over finishing a deadline is a surefire way to make nemesis' or friends' for life
  8. Do group projects publicly hosted e.g hackathons

Last edited:

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
how good is sof eng at unsw
The consul says:

Generally people would say its more better for actually "being" a software engineer since you're opted into courses which revolve around that but personally and from what other people say in UNSW CS forums + irl, there's not really a major difference between CS and Sof eng. since you can just opt for the courses Sof does in CS and it doesn't seem to be superior to CS in terms of qualifications?

I'd go for it if you're dead set on working in a tech company e.g FANG because I think the skill of working in a group, managing responsibilities and time is something that is a field in itself rather than just being a good coder but once again I don't really think that CS shies away from this, it just gives you more flexibility in what you want to choose. Don't think you can escape groupwork in CS (Im a CS student) since it'll sprinkled there in core courses but sof eng does emphasise it with its structure.

A personal anecdote is that a SDD state ranker doing sof. eng was in one of the group members' tutes and lost considerable marks on their labs for 2521 which says a lot about the jump difference since you'd assume a state ranker would be cracked at doing reports. Don't go in there or CS thinking its a breeze unless you are HIM but just know its going to be rough regardless and just embrace the difficulty and get better.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
should i go to unsw or uts for maths, if i get a scholarship at uts
The consul requests:

> What is the scholarship?
> Range of scholarship money if not included?
> Is UNSW or UTS closer?
> Intention for studying maths

The consul suggests some opinions:

If money is not a big issue and the scholarship is not of a considerable amount e.g $500, then it shouldn't impact your decision making since you'll ideally be going to study this degree for 3-5 years. UNSW has better facilities for mathematics and more opportunities than UTS and is more renown for it relative to UTS however this is not to discredit UTS. If you feel the scholarship money is a big incentive, go for UTS. If you want further clarification, try answering the questions above.

carrotsss

HSC
The consul requests:

> What is the scholarship?
> Range of scholarship money if not included?
> Is UNSW or UTS closer?
> Intention for studying maths

The consul suggests some opinions:

If money is not a big issue and the scholarship is not of a considerable amount e.g $500, then it shouldn't impact your decision making since you'll ideally be going to study this degree for 3-5 years. UNSW has better facilities for mathematics and more opportunities than UTS and is more renown for it relative to UTS however this is not to discredit UTS. If you feel the scholarship money is a big incentive, go for UTS. If you want further clarification, try answering the questions above.
tbh even for significant scholarships I was doing the calculations with my parents and if its increasing your commute but even half an hour it becomes significantly less worthwhile if you value your time at like any job

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)