Any thoughts on repeating a year? (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
I'm thinking of repeating a year. Many people say that it's beneficial, but statistics show that many of the people that repeat a year are likely to drop out, due to self-esteem issues. Repeating a year never occurred to me, as I am usually a straight A or B student. I hate the concept of repeating a year - no one really expected me to, but a recent steep fall in my grades this term made me think twice about repeating a year.

If anyone has repeated a year, please let me know how it was like, and if it was worth while :)

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
I'm thinking of repeating a year. Many people say that it's beneficial, but statistics show that many of the people that repeat a year are likely to drop out, due to self-esteem issues. Repeating a year never occurred to me, as I am usually a straight A or B student. I hate the concept of repeating a year - no one really expected me to, but a recent steep fall in my grades this term made me think twice about repeating a year.

If anyone has repeated a year, please let me know how it was like, and if it was worth while :)
If I were to repeat a year, I would repeat my hsc year if I get a crap ATAR.

astroe

HSC
You could do the Pathways program, where you only do half or so of your units in the first year and complete the next lot during the second year.

It would only make the best sense if you accelerated a grade then decided to decelerate or something.

I guess the key benefits are that you only need to study for half the exams that regular HSC students would, and that it would let you take more subjects.

I personally don't do that, but it's one option available.

cdjm92

HSC

This is my 4th year of VCE, and planning on finishing next year...For me it was the best option because I could spread it out and spend more time on each study (three yr12 subjects at a time)

If I had time I would love to go back and do a few again and do really well....but its pointless for my ENTER etc :(

Theres probably no harm in repeating unless you think you might get bored with it or something....

johony

HSC

your hsc is in more than a year? that's a lot of time to turn your marks around.

also imo, pathways should only be a resort to those who have been affected by illness or people involved in activities that affects their ability to complete their hsc at a satisfactory standard. not because you're 5-10 points short of doing med, comm, law, etc. for that, the much better option is to go for a lower course and transfer at the next opportunity.

HSC
N/A
That's true - it IS in a year. But 6 months ago, I was only getting used to getting GCSE's and now this bloody HSC thing is taking over my life!

Besides, it's not that I wanna repeat a year because of my grades, it's just i'm applying for a selective this year - and I feel/KNOW I can do better than I did this semester!

And, I really don't want to apply next year, as not many people leave their school in year 12 and that means it will be my 10th school i've been to.

:confused:

occer

HSC
N/A
How much have your marks dropped?

Also, you moved from England? Same here.

HSC
N/A
Oh wicked!
What part of England did you come from? And how are you finding it here? :)

But yeah, I don't want to talk about my grades. Lets just say I got worse than a C :) which was like unacceptable in my old school...

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
That's true - it IS in a year. But 6 months ago, I was only getting used to getting GCSE's and now this bloody HSC thing is taking over my life!

Besides, it's not that I wanna repeat a year because of my grades, it's just i'm applying for a selective this year - and I feel/KNOW I can do better than I did this semester!

And, I really don't want to apply next year, as not many people leave their school in year 12 and that means it will be my 10th school i've been to.

:confused:
don't repeat, year eleven doesn't count anyway, and it's a good year to prepare for hsc and to learn how to optimise your marks.

selective schools generally don't let people in in year twelve. and selective schools are not as good as they are cracked up to be. unless the school you're at is absolutely horrible and they don't teach you anything, don't go to another school just for the sake of it. if you're smart enough to go to selective, you're smart enough to learn the hsc course on your own.

occer

HSC
N/A
Oh wicked!

But yeah, I don't want to talk about my grades. Lets just say I got worse than a C :) which was like unacceptable in my old school...
London, but I moved here for Year Eight so I'm pretty much integrated.

C as in Credit or C as in A, B, C?

Anyway, I wouldn't repeat.

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
Oh wicked!

COOL ENGLAND. I'd love to go there. I just don't like it's gloomy weather.

retromcnugget

HSC
i'd fucking hate to repeat a year, but looking at my grades it's a possibility.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)