Any tiPs? for a year 10 going to year 11 ? (2 Viewers)

HSC
if your doing easy subjects like me and finish your work relatively fast, go ahead like I am ;)

ccc123

HSC
Eng Adv: Take yr 11 as an opportunity to really consolidate your essay writing skills. Also, if your a rote-learner (i.e, you memorise essays then regurgitate them in exams), get out of this habbit, because remember they can ask anything in the HSC.

Eng Ext: One of the things I noticed with this course is the standard of writing is extremely high. It is unlike adv where you can get away with somes substance but sophisticated language. In Ext, you really need to know what you are talking about, and demonstate a personal engagement with the texts. Here we come to another crucial point that really applies to all extensions: ONLY STICK WITH IT IF YOUR PREPARED TO WORK HARD AND HAVE NATURAL APTITUDE. To give you an idea of how difficult the ext's are/ how many people choose it when they're not capable of it, the eng ext course at my school had 56 peopele at the start of yr 11. We now have 22. Similarly, Maths Ext began with 134. They now have 63.

Maths: Irrespective of what level your doing, teh best bit of advice I can give you is KEEP UP TO DATE WITH HOMEWORK. Remember in maths especially, the foundation of yr 12 content and skills is set in Yr 11.

Sciences: In Biology, prepare for shit-boring topics on plants and ecosystems. In all sciences, make sure you cultivate practical skills, and keep up to date with the syllabus. Also, if your one of these people who just took physics and chemistry to look cool, DROP NOW. Do not assume just because you could do SC science, you a suddenly a science genius. I got band 6 in science SC, yet I can assure you I would not have been capable of physics or chem.

Humanities (Legal, histories): Truly try to understand what is being taught rather than just memorise stuff. This will help you a lot. In Legal Studies, revide consistantly because there is a lot of content. You will also probably find Legal very disjointed to begin with, but it all comes together later. In Modern and Ancient, make sure you get into the habbit of quoting historains and sources from the start. If you are looking for top marks, you should also master the concept of historiography, as the top-range answers in the HSC will, I guarentee you, make use of it.

PDHPE: To not go in there with the misconception that it is a bludge subject. This is WRONG. There is a lot of content that you need to master. For this subject, the syllabus is also very useful. Also, writing in PDHPE is similar to writing in the sciences- concise, and sophisticated in knowledge rather than language.

The Arts: I'm not an expert on what should be done here, but in Drama, ensure you keep up with you log entries, because I hear this will save you A LOT of grief later on.

Good luck everyone, hope that helped.

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
hfis said:
Year 11 means nothing, make the most of it while you can.
That reply is underestimating how important year 11 is. Year 11 means a lot. Year 11 is a time where you can build the basis of your HSC course and really choose what you want to do in future.

Last edited:

michael1990

HSC
  • Determine a study plan. So that your in that way of mind when it comes to the HSC
  • Start by doing your assessments WAY BEFORE they are due.
  • Try to have the balance between work and social etc and school
  • STUDY!
  • RANKINGS ARE NUMBER 1 in the HSC!
Choose your subjects based on your capacity to understand and comprehend. + remember once they are chosen, you are in that course for the HSC.

ekdownie

eating/procrastinating
HSC
hfis said:
Year 11 means nothing, make the most of it while you can.
this is seriously WRONG:jaw:

year 11 builds the foundations for everything in year 12 and it DOES COUNT........ do the best you can always!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

good way to study is just once a week or even just a short time before you go to bed write down and summarise notes of what you had learnt that day/week.....divide it up into different subjects...keep it in folders

this wil help before a study or test...becaue it is all infront of you and ready to go..

sweet studying (Y)

danielle69

HSC
ticky2002 said:
A) Don't do chem.
B) Don't do business
C) Don't do pd
D) Do IT - spend all your time on BOS.
E) Or stay at home with YA DAD! - Or danielle69 will.

:)

F) Plus a course where you dont have a teacher so you can spend all your time on BOS

ticky2002 said:
E) Or stay at home with YA DAD! - Or danielle69 will.

if i was you ticky 2002 i would watch myself because ur dad will be next ;)

KnifeySpoony

HSC
I'd probably suggest not having a gf/bf..i kind of had a break up last month and was over it initially but yeah been thinking bout that crap lately, can't really concentrate in school cos i'm not paying 100% attention thinking bout stuff..etc.
this also kind of leads to insomnia..which can affect assessment tasks and school even more.
:(

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
lyounamu said:
That reply is underestimating how important year 11 is. Year 11 means a lot. Year 11 is a time where you can build the basis of your HSC course and really choose what you want to do in future. That advice is a hardly informed advice and unhappy to hear about it.
ekdownie said:
this is seriously WRONG

I think what hfis was trying to say was that don't go shit crazy studying in Year 11 because NONE of the marks you gain in Year 11 count towards Year 12.

Just create and maintain a steady study pattern and you'll be fine.

bored of sc

HSC
My advice is to NOT bludge in year 10 because when year 11 comes it will hit you like a brick. Work out what subjects you like and hate so you can easily decide in year 11. Um... just start getting serious about school if you haven't yet done so.

Last edited:

Aplus

HSC
N/A
bored of sc said:
My advice is to NOT bludge in year 10 because when year 11 comes it won't hit you like a brick. Work out what subjects you like and hate so you can easily decide in year 11. Um... just start getting serious about school if you haven't yet done so.
Don't you mean it will hit you like a brick.

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
bored of sc said:
My advice is to NOT bludge in year 10 because when year 11 comes it will hit you like a brick. Work out what subjects you like and hate so you can easily decide in year 11. Um... just start getting serious about school if you haven't yet done so.
Like NO.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I reckon you should learn to enjoy Year 10, however, that doesn't mean jigging classes and receiving a N award. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)