Any tutoring centres offer trial tests? (1 Viewer)

sabira001

HSC
Could someone convince me to go to a yearly course? Alot of people I know are madly getting coached for almost every subject and I don't see how it's different from your teacher having a revision lesson. Other than the questions you will get, thus my query.

So does anyone know of tutoring centres which offer trial tests? (For english especially. Either just in term 3 or through the whole year like OC and selective trial tests.)

All I've found is ESP at Intuition, but they don't offer English.

Thanks.

-tal-

HSC
sabira001 said:
Could someone convince me to go to a yearly course? Alot of people I know are madly getting coached for almost every subject and I don't see how it's different from your teacher having a revision lesson. Other than the questions you will get, thus my query.

So does anyone know of tutoring centres which offer trial tests? (For english especially. Either just in term 3 or through the whole year like OC and selective trial tests.)

All I've found is ESP at Intuition, but they don't offer English.

Thanks.
The difference is the tutor pays you more attention, you get taught things in different ways, and the people there generally want to be there, unless you're at some atrociously high performance school.

Trial tests? Needs clarification.

sabira001

HSC
Trial tests like those offered by eg. North Shore for the selective test. The entire 'course' is basically mock exams. I think they're usually run once a week in term 3 for the HSC. I'm after the questions and the practise rather than the theory.

hked

HSC
frankly tutoring centres arent very helpful.

most tuition colleges, set their exams excessively difficult, to the degree where ull never get it in the hsc. So it becomes unrealistic, and depressing when people get 50% (my experience, from tutoring of maths (4u) , note i only voice my opinion for that subject)

Imo, for maths, its much better off getting a load of trial papers from different schools. Then doing them. Theyre more difficult than the hsc ones, but not unrealistically so. If u need it, get a private tutor, who can supply you these papers, or you would like to answer your questions. 1on1 is by far better than class tutoring.

For english, a good english tutor, will set u mock trial/hsc exams to do. If she doesnt, tell her to do it. Usually what they do is, tell you to do a mock trial exam at home, or while with her. And in the duration of ur ''examination'' she marks the exam u did the last time u saw her. (sorry if that confused you) Again, if you run out of papers, just keep looking for other trial exams, there are countless out there.

Actually this method really applies to all subjects...but to recapitulate ...dont go to tutoring centres.

BUT, if u insist, Prior is one of the areas i kno which offer this. They offer an exam pretty much every end of term, then 15 weeks before the hsc, they throw in 10 consecutive mock exams. Then you get ''free'' english tutoring, where you can request to do mock trials. Problem with this, is that, the ''teachers'' are pretty much students.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)