Anyone applying for NIDA? (1 Viewer)

jazzmuzik

HSC
the applications for NIDA came out on the net on July 1.
Anyone intending to apply? if so for what course?

jazzmuzik

HSC
definately design, but i had this inner compulsion to try for acting to give it a shot, we'll see...

I'm also intending to apply for Production (pretty much design) at VCA (Victorian college of the arts, in Melbourne)

booties4

HSC
Lets be realistic, it is so hard to get into for any course especialy acting. They are looking for people with life experience not people that are straight out of school. I have read the 'Nida Audition Forum' and from what people have said, its not based on talent alone, but on the persons potetial of being successful in the future. I wish you luck, but i wont be applying till im 20 or so.

killyridols

HSC
hey, a friend of a friend i know tried out every year since she was 16, knowing that they don't accept 16 year olds but auditioning for the experience
straight after she left school she got in.
i hear NIDA are loosening their standards anyway these days. it's worth a try.
i'm trying out end of this year for acting. if it doesn't work out i'm going to do this program 'artslab' where you get mentored by working directors/actors/whatever for a year and develop your own work. it's not that 'big', but it gives people a chance to make contacts. one of my friends who is doing it this year had the opportunity to work with chris ryan, simon wise, bunch of other people.

booties4

HSC
killyridols said:
i hear NIDA are loosening their standards anyway these days.
By loosening their standards they are going to lose all of their prestige.

jazzmuzik

HSC
noir. said:
jazzmuzik:

What component of design? Costume?

And bootsies4 is right. They do prefer people who have had experience - you will be up against those who are more mature [in age] and have had more practical experience.

GL, anywho.
atm i've had the most experience with costume but the NIDA Design course is both set and costume in one, i'm all keen for the set side too, who knows i may prefer that.
And in regards to "Booties" comments...yeah I'm completely aware of just how difficult it is to get in for any course, so i'm 100% prepared for failure, i'm not starry eyed dillusioned or anything. despite this i am definately applying for design though. but i have plenty of other options in mind (all theatre/art/creative arts related)

I went and saw the 3rd years production of Sweet Charity last night, it was fabulous!
now i realy really want to do acting! :( *sigh* oh well. if this urge doesnt subside i'll just try, you've go to be in it to win it i guess...

hboriginal

HSC
Does anyone know anything about NIDA's music theatre coarse? "Singer Dancer Actor" i think it's called.

jazzmuzik

HSC
hboriginal said:
Does anyone know anything about NIDA's music theatre coarse? "Singer Dancer Actor" i think it's called.
I dont think there is a degree focusing on musical theatre, only acting as a whole. however they offer a number of short courses and holiday workshops..maybe you were thinking of one of these.

check out the website http://www.nida.edu.au/

agui01

HSC
hboriginal said:
Hey. I'm auditioning for this course in November and here's what I know about the course.
If you don't already know, for the audition you have to sing one up-beat tempo song and a ballad (preferably from Musical Theatre). You also have to perform a contemporary monologue, and finally you have to to a small choreograpghed dance routine which they teach at the audiotion. From what I was told, they focus on singing part at the audition. For the dancing part, they just want to know that you can move and that your not un-coordinated.
Also they told me that because I was a male, I'd have a better than average chance of getting in, obviously because not too many guys apply and the course requires males to fill parts when they perform and sing.
Hope I've helped you out here. You should contact me, I enjoy meeting people who enjoy musical theatre, and finding guys who like it is even harder.

bussoti

HSC
I would love to apply for acting but lately, thanks to mounting pressure of the trials and practical exams I've begun to doubt my abilities, so I don't know how I'd react if they rejected me, ha.

killyridols

HSC
noir: i'll have to ask but i have a feeling that she did
what kind of experience do they like?
i've done youth theatre since i was in year 8 but do they prefer people who have been doing more nida kind of stuff? cos all the stuff i've done has been street theatre/arty crap.

i'm not sure if nida is the be all and end all anymore. i mean going there doesn't really mean that you are guaranteed a career, but i don't want to go somewhere less prestigious. and if i get in, i have to go because it is too good an opportunity to refuse. but i'm so scared that if i go i'll be fucked because at the end of it all, i'll be living as poor as a uni student for the rest of my life :(
i'm not sure if acting's that great a job as well. it sounds so glamorous, but i had this tutor who graduated from VCA and he had the crappest car ever and was probably living on peanuts.

killyridols

HSC
Born2baplacebo said:
I wanna go for a scholarship though, cos its hell expensive.
why does everyone say this??
it's 4k a year, which i thought was pretty similar to any other uni course and you can do hecs as well
you won't get a scholarship straight up, they don't offer them to 1st years. and even then you have to have exceptional circumstances, like you have to be dirt poor and from the country or something. (well that's what i read on the website)

Bboysho

HSC
I'm going to give the audition a go this year, probably won't get in but atleast I'll get some experience lol. What pieces are everyone doing? (for the acting course)

~kiki

HSC
I was going to apply for the design course, although when I went to the open night I was slightly put off to be honest. They all seemed a little snobby, and I really don't like the idea of going into uni from 9 till 6pm (up to 11pm during production time) 5 days a week, sometimes even 7 days a week when they're doing productions. Other uni hours are far more flexible, so you can work whilst studying and save up abit of money for travel/ moving out etc. I don't want to be a leech for my entire uni career. They even mentioned that it was difficult to have a part time job whilst studying there and that parents would need to be "forgiving"...

~kiki

HSC
*jazzmuzik... have you completed the project for the auditions? If so, how long did it take you?

~kiki

HSC
noir. said:
I'm sure they're not snobs when they audition. you'd expect a certain degree of arrogance anyway if you were to go to such a prestigous Dramatic Arts academy.

Drama/theatre/film are one of the most demanding industries to work in ;) so in a way, they're preparing you
I realise that its a demanding industry to work in-- however, they have made it almost impossible for some people to study there unless their parents are able to financially support them for 3 years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)