Anyone doing B Commerce/Arts ?? (1 Viewer)

shoxgeneration

*pamplemousse
HSC
Hey, I was just wondering if anyone here is doing Comm/Arts @ USyd (or will be) and if so...........

- what do you think of the Commerce component of the degree? the lecturers, tute's, just the commerce side of it mainly?

- if anyone's doing Marketing or International Business - do you enjoy it/what do you think of it? same with Art History/Theory?

- For first year, how many days a week is it usually? Is the timetable flexible at all (as in, would they allow you to change a lecture/tutorial session if you needed to?)

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks a lot. :D

stazi

Nightman
HSC
I am majoring in BOTH marketing and IBUS.

Marketing is fantastic, but you do have to have a creative mind. The USYD marketing program is arguably the best in NSW.
IBUS is pointless on its own, but supplements other majors quite nicely.

What was your UAI? If you can get in to either:
B Commerce or B Economic and Social Sciences @ USYD, perhaps you should do that instead (rather than switch from one uni to another).
This is because you'll be able to transfer with about a mid credit average to commerce/arts and its much better to stay at one uni for the duration of your degree (you get used to the methods of assessment, administration, etc).

If you want to see how the lecturers are like, there's a thread on subject reviews. Check out the PDF.

Depending on luck, you'll be at uni for about 3-5 days a week, the average being 4. You can change your timetable (best to come to the timetable changing place in person). First year subjects are a lot more flexible, as a lot of people do them.

Last edited:

shoxgeneration

*pamplemousse
HSC
haha hey staz, thanks for responding to my constant questions about com @ usyd :p you're probably dead bored of them now.. (but are there really no one ELSE on here that does it?!)

stazi said:
What was your UAI? If you can get in to either:
B Commerce or B Economic and Social Sciences @ USYD, perhaps you should do that instead (rather than switch from one uni to another).
This is because you'll be able to transfer with about a mid credit average to commerce/arts and its much better to stay at one uni for the duration of your degree (you get used to the methods of assessment, administration, etc).
You know what - that is so true........ but like, if i did begin com/arts at unsw - wouldnt i be able to use those credit pts gained there and transfer it across to usyd? that would be so much easier in the long run (i reckon)...

well i got high 98's, do you think there's a liklihood that there'll be vacancies in the straight combined com/arts left after Main offers? (i think ive asked you this.. oh well :p)

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
there may be vacancies, you never know. my friend got a place in com/arts 2 years ago in the late round if that makes you feel better.

the problem with transferring credits is that not all subjects have a direct equivelant. Whilst some may appear to be similar, some Nazi in the faculty could decide not to give you any credit.

shoxgeneration

*pamplemousse
HSC
are you serious?
even if it was say... Microeconomics 1a at unsw --> Microeconomics 1a at usyd - they could be like no, you have to do it again at usyd?!

just say if you did do straight commerce @ usyd and then picked up arts, could you only do that after 1st year? or can you do it after 1st semester.... either way - does that mean you'll ultimately spend longer than the original 5 years doing the combined degree at uni?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
not always brogie-poo. for instance chris couldnt get credit for psychology 1A and 1B for psych 1001 and 1002. Someone might be like 'lawlz. qualitative methods isnt econometrics'

shoxgeneration

*pamplemousse
HSC
okay cool.
sorry was inactive as i was on holidays for a couple of days....

BUT question! when is the EARLIEST you could transfer from commerce to commerce/arts at usyd? after 1st semester or 1st year and based on what?

AND if you did end up transferring, by how much is your whole degree/s elongated by? (in terms of year/semesters etc)

ta!

stazi

Nightman
HSC
after first year based on half UAI and half GPA (grade point average). Your degree isn't elongated at all, as Com/Arts is 5 years. You'd just transfer your credit points over.

shoxgeneration

*pamplemousse
HSC
not elongated at all??

then how are u meant to/when do you complete those Arts UOC that you would have done during first year/semester?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
you could either do them as part of your commerce degree (as you'll have room), or simply do less commerce subjects in your later years. it's not hard to plan out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)