• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Anyone doing B of policing? (1 Viewer)

zzangelzz

Queen of the Damned
HSC
Hey!!
Just wondering if anyone here is currently doing/ will be doing the bachelor of policing next year?

and remember...conserve water...shower with a friend!

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
Yes, yes I do.

Haha, spiffy observation skills, natstar :p

zzangelzz

Queen of the Damned
HSC
Thanks!!

I was just wondering if theres any insight you can give me into the course, like...what's it like, etc...

Thanks !

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
Course Link: http://handbook.uws.edu.au/hbook/course.asp?course=4555.1

First year isn't too bad. You sort of realise that policing is more than the entire gun slinging thing. Majority of the course will drop out in first year. We started with 115 and are down to about 40 coming to the end of second year. But in first year you get to visit the morgue and detention centres as part of one of the subjects.

Second year is more enjoyable than first year ... you do 5 core subjects and 4 electives. There are a few distance education subjects that are pretty good (3 our of 4 of my electives this year were Distance Ed ones). We also do 160hrs of Field Placement in Spring Session, which I completed 2 weeks ago, at a Police Station of your choice. We do learn a lot of law, naturally, which they pretty much expect us to know like the back of our hands, lol. We learn how to make reports, statements, briefs of evidence .. etc. We also do a lot of scenarios where we're tested on how well we handle 'situations'.

Third year is 4 subjects and Spring Session down at Goulburn Police Academy. But you have to pass your PSA (Professional Suitability Application) before doing Field Placement in 2nd Year and going down to Goulburn.

All in all, it's not as easy as it seems, you do work hard and they expect a lot. There are tutors/lecturers who feel it's their job to wean out anyone that can't handle the pressure and will push your buttons. It sucks, but if you can't handle that, well then, heh. But Field Placement is really enjoyable and you learn a lot from the cops you work with. That and how to handle 12 hour shifts :p Plus, you make a lot of friends.

zzangelzz

Queen of the Damned
HSC
That sounds really cool!!

Thanks for that!!

I've just got one more question...are text books for subjects expensive?

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
For sociology and criminology they'll cost about $50-$75, but you can always sell those afterwards. Unless you're really a textbook user, you'll find a few people don't bother buying these textbooks.

For actual policing subjects, we mostly use readers which cost about $10-$30.

Dingo2004

2 6 C 4 U
HSC
man who wants to study to bcum a pig??
i hate cops soo much
i get pulled over by cops all da time
and der just a bunch of dickhead time wasters... "oh your P plates a bit loose"... pffttt yeh wateva pig !!

theone123

blue essence
HSC
haha, someone tried to run out the train, as they saw coppers, but the coppers ran out the train aswell to fine the dude. :p

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
Seriously Dingo, you have some issues. Don't bag out anything you don't understand.

zzangelzz

Queen of the Damned
HSC
Yeh Dingo... it's easy to criticise, yet if you or someone you cared about needed help...dare I say it...the first thing you would do is dial triple 0

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
zzangelzz said:
Yeh Dingo... it's easy to criticise, yet if you or someone you cared about needed help...dare I say it...the first thing you would do is dial triple 0

... as what most people who criticise the Police would do. Unless they think they're too hardcore.

Jonathan A

HSC
Dingo2004 said:
man who wants to study to bcum a pig??
i hate cops soo much
i get pulled over by cops all da time
and der just a bunch of dickhead time wasters... "oh your P plates a bit loose"... pffttt yeh wateva pig !!

That's just because you break the law or they have the legally excercisable right to stop you.

Jonathan A

HSC
Dingo2004 said:
yeh i guess so..
ders a good side to cops and also a bad side ...
the helping side of them i admire.. but the picking on people side of da cops i dislike..

If you have a complaint, then make it. If you don't, then just whinging about it is only speculation of an unproven claim.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Nah, some cops, esspecially the younger generation, are on power trips. While Dingo usually talks crap, he has a point here - some cops pick on people because they can, and some are assests to society, its just a fact.

and while you may argue this is the case with every career sector, very few have such an influence on our lives as the police. If one cop decides to let the power go to their head, they can royally fuck over someone elses life.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)