Anyone driven on a track or similar? (1 Viewer)

Fonzie32

HSC
So yesterday I went to AAMI's skilled drivers course and had a heap of fun throwing the car around cones and hairpin setups. My car has KW V2 coilovers and DBA T3 front and T2 rear rotors with Hawk ceramic pads, so the emergency braking was a good test on the brakes along with my concentration and reaction time.

The night before I raised the front of the car up because it was pretty low to use on a track without pumping up the dampers which I didn't want to do since I would only be going around cones at max 50km/h's. So I just raised it up a notch. Which didn't do much haha. About 1.5 finger gap and still rubbing hard on corners (no pun intended)

You learn a lot at these courses and I would advise everyone to do one. So while I was on the track which was just a big open area with cones, I decided to just have some fun whilst doing the exercises. So hairpins I was meant to go 45km's but I went 50 hahaha, car handled it perfectly but could have done with a lot stiffer dampers.
Had 4 people in the car at all times so It did weigh it down a lot.

So have any of you guys been able to experience what a car is really made of and how your car handles in different situations?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Damn can't wait for one of these in the future with a WRX of some sort.

What was the cost and did you get to do any J-turns/drifts/handbrake spinouts lol?

Only experience I have in my car is a few launches. That's it lol.

Fonzie32

HSC
Damn can't wait for one of these in the future with a WRX of some sort.

What was the cost and did you get to do any J-turns/drifts/handbrake spinouts lol?

Only experience I have in my car is a few launches. That's it lol.
Cost was free if you're under 25 (I think) and insured with AAMI. Yes, free! And you get 10% off your premium after the first year XD

Hahaha, no drifts or anything fancy like that sadly. I asked the instructor if I could do the hairpin at 55km/h and he said no, so don't get your hopes up lol

However, I asked him where all the skid marks came from and he said a Skyline club hired the place, and lets just say it ended badly. Lol. This course was held at UWS Nirimba Campus. Apparently you can still hire the open area but not too sure. As long as you don't cause an accident I'm sure it's ok.

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
Done one of those skilled driving courses from AAMI as well... (mum's insured with them)... t'was ok, not as fun as I thought...

as for my actual track activities, none... My car is my only means of conveyance (other than my mums car or public transport...) I really don't want to drive my mum or dads car...

EDIT!: I go for some go karting every once in a while (2-3 times a year)... does that count; I don't care if it does, it's fucking fun! :haha:

Last edited:

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Not with AAMI for anything lol.

Go Karting is cool. Been a few times. Unfortunately its way too expensive for my likes lol ($70 for 30 minutes but in a few intervals). So I only do it once a year or so.

Last edited:

TafeHereICome

HSC
Dont want to go on tracks cause I know my self too well that I'll most likely pump the car over its limit. Maybe when I get my Evo 9.

Fonzie32

HSC
Done one of those skilled driving courses from AAMI as well... (mum's insured with them)... t'was ok, not as fun as I thought...

as for my actual track activities, none... My car is my only means of conveyance (other than my mums car or public transport...) I really don't want to drive my mum or dads car...

EDIT!: I go for some go karting every once in a while (2-3 times a year)... does that count; I don't care if it does, it's fucking fun! :haha:
Eastern Creek karts? I've been to indoor karting and the Eastern Creek outdoors track. Bloody amazing. I had my mum record whilst I was on the track and when I played the video it looked as if I was going 2km/h haha. Feels crazy when you're going fast so low to the ground aye!

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Eastern Creek karts? I've been to indoor karting and the Eastern Creek outdoors track. Bloody amazing. I had my mum record whilst I was on the track and when I played the video it looked as if I was going 2km/h haha. Feels crazy when you're going fast so low to the ground aye!
I've only been karting to this place where instead of using the brake (the brake's barely even did anything anyway), I would just turn the steering the whole way (let go of accelerator then as soon as I start turning I full throttle it) and do a drift around the corner haha.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Done gokarting at a few places around Sydney and in Malaysia.

I took my Evo to Marulan (MDTC), Eastern Creek (MRT) and Wakefield. Haven't renewed my amateur licence since I sold the Evo.

Also took my Benz to Eastern Creek for their driver training day. According to the instructor, I can brake better than ABS can :)

I've also done a few other driver training courses but those weren't for my car- just generic this is how you drive on a skidpan, this is how you are meant to brake properly in emergencies, etc...

EDIT: Here's my video from when I first went skidpan > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gloZ65d3BiA

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)