Anyone else planning on UNE 2010? (1 Viewer)

Andi0390

HSC
Thats not many.

Still, there are about as many internal students are there are people in the town I live in - so I think in comparison its not going to feel tiny :p

AvalonPrincess7

Lost in Chemistry Fog
HSC
Hey Breezy I'm hoping for Law/Crim (88.8 ATAR so should get in) as well, was originally planning to do Psychology so didn't apply via early entry, wish I had, waiting for main round offers is killing me! I take it you applied via early entry to already know what your studying/where your staying? Assuming I get in we'd be in the same classes, the course outline SAYS you have a choice of what to take, but there are only three directed electives running in first semester, Intro to Psych, Intro to Sociology and an Archaeology one...

breezy221090

HSC
Hey Breezy I'm hoping for Law/Crim (88.8 ATAR so should get in) as well, was originally planning to do Psychology so didn't apply via early entry, wish I had, waiting for main round offers is killing me! I take it you applied via early entry to already know what your studying/where your staying? Assuming I get in we'd be in the same classes, the course outline SAYS you have a choice of what to take, but there are only three directed electives running in first semester, Intro to Psych, Intro to Sociology and an Archaeology one...
Sounds good. I had a look at doing that psych degree coz I was studying psych at ANU last year (hence already being accepted to UNE) but it's not the same as a normal psych degree so I don't think it gives that grounding to continue on and become a psychologist.
Yeah we'll prob take Law in Context together, but my other 3 subjects are 2nd yr law subjects unfortunately. I took all the easy intro to psych, archaeology and sociology courses last year which sucks. But it also means I'll probably be of assistance.

AvalonPrincess7

Lost in Chemistry Fog
HSC
UNE's Pysch degree is accredited, when I looked it seemed almost exactly the same at UNCLE's degree, just with less maths. It's good to know at least one other person who'll be doing the same degree as me, assuming I get in. If not I'll probably end up doing straight criminology...

Andi0390

HSC
I was thinking about doing psych... but it will screw up my course levels and I'll have to do an extra year. Although, if UNE is so small, chances are I'll meet you all at some point, which would be kind of strange.

Here is just a complaint from me...

Its really annoying because their advanced standing applications for semester one close in like November or something, and now it won't let me enroll in second year courses. So I've had to apply to waive pre-requisites. Anyone else having trouble with this? Only one of the courses I have applied for waivingness has appeared on "mystudy" but I only did it a few days ago. I'm not sure if that means that I didn't get it, or that it just hasn't been put on yet.

Also, in Armidale the type of town you need a car in?

BlackDragon

HSC
I think they will tell you either way whether you the prequisites were waived for you or not. It takes time.

and most people at college have cars, which I find is a bit ridiculous. You would definitely need a car to go into the CBD but some people chose to walk in summer and its always easy to go in groups. Most people drive up to the campus from the colleges for class, which is the worst part. You really don't need to do that. lol umm, to sum up..a car is optional, its up to you. :)

breezy221090

HSC
UNE's Pysch degree is accredited, when I looked it seemed almost exactly the same at UNCLE's degree, just with less maths. It's good to know at least one other person who'll be doing the same degree as me, assuming I get in. If not I'll probably end up doing straight criminology...
Yeah under degree info though it doesn't say anything about being admitted into the Psychologists Association where other undergrad degrees do. I think newy might be the same.

breezy221090

HSC
I was thinking about doing psych... but it will screw up my course levels and I'll have to do an extra year. Although, if UNE is so small, chances are I'll meet you all at some point, which would be kind of strange.

Here is just a complaint from me...

Its really annoying because their advanced standing applications for semester one close in like November or something, and now it won't let me enroll in second year courses. So I've had to apply to waive pre-requisites. Anyone else having trouble with this? Only one of the courses I have applied for waivingness has appeared on "mystudy" but I only did it a few days ago. I'm not sure if that means that I didn't get it, or that it just hasn't been put on yet.
Yeah, I was lucky that all my courses only had one prerequisite and I'd done that subject, but I had to pick those subjects coz my advanced standing hadn't come through. If your application isn't in by the end of november then it is not guaranteed to be processed by the time uni starts again. However I put my application in months ago and still haven't heard anything back.

AvalonPrincess7

Lost in Chemistry Fog
HSC
I believe the UAc course listing says it? I did see it somewhere....

I'm taking my car up, seeing as my parents went ahead and bought me a brand new mazda 2 for uni... (I never actually asked for one, twas strange...) Plus it's the only real mode of transport between the uni and home, unless I want to get on a train with a huge imac box, a mini fridge and various other paraphernalia every holidays. If I get into Mary White I certainly won't be driving around campus though, would just be using it to go into town.

When we were there though the parking didn't seem to be anywhere near as drastic as UNCLE (My Mum's a mature age student there so I go in with her sometimes to use the library) seriously you can't get a park there after nine am on a weekday.

So you guys ahve already enrolled? I hate you :) I'm so sick of waiting.

Andi0390

HSC
I'm going to buy a car eventually. I like to travel a lot, but I don't think I will have one by February. I sold my last car when I went to New Zealand and then spent all my money, I miss cars. I guess I just want to know if its one of those towns where you really need one or where you can get by without one, because from what I could see the "town" part is quite a distance from the uni, it looks walkable but not if you are like carrying you're weekly groceries.

I'm already enrolled but I am freaking out that I won't get accommodation.

AvalonPrincess7

Lost in Chemistry Fog
HSC
Apparently if you miss out on on campus accommodation they'll call you and help you arrange something else. I've also heard they have overflow rooms set aside for this purpose for students to crash till they find off campus accommodation...

The uni would be maybe 3 km from the CBD and they have buses running all the time between them, and perhaps 500m or so between the residential campus and the academic campus.

Compared to Cessnock (our closest town) it's much more of a everything within walking distance town, however I have never actually lived there, only stayed there a few times, so could be wrong. Where are you hoping to stay? i didn't think anywhere was self catered apart from Wright...

breezy221090

HSC
Yeah, UNE is a decent hike from town but there's a little shopping complex not that far from the colleges. The distance from the colleges to the academic buildings isn't that far but the uni is on a hill and the colleges are at the bottom kinda thing. I dunno about the accreditation for the psych degree then, I suppose it's better to ask a staff member at the uni.

Also, I haven't heard of anyone not getting on campus accomodation who has applied, so you're probably pretty safe with that. I mean when you look at the amount of students at UNE 3000 (including post grads) and then the amount of accommodation available it's unlikely you wont get a place on campus. I have also heard it is really hard to get off-campus accomodation and most of it's gone by nov-dec of the previous year.

Last edited:

namdog

HSC
I'm going to buy a car eventually. I like to travel a lot, but I don't think I will have one by February. I sold my last car when I went to New Zealand and then spent all my money, I miss cars. I guess I just want to know if its one of those towns where you really need one or where you can get by without one, because from what I could see the "town" part is quite a distance from the uni, it looks walkable but not if you are like carrying you're weekly groceries.

I'm already enrolled but I am freaking out that I won't get accommodation.
There are bus stops right out front of most of the colleges, and the buses cost $2 each way last time I caught them. I know plenty of people who survive without cars. I managed to for a while but then I bought one and now I couldn't go without. I'm sure if you have friends there with cars they will drive you in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)