Anyone Explain this Friction Question (1 Viewer)

Nosviper

HSC
Hey All

This was a HSC Multiple choice from 2006

5) Two identical boxes are resting on a truck tray. The tray is gradually tilted. The load in one box is twice as heavy as the load in the other

Which statement is true

a) The lightly loaded box would slide before the heaviliy loaded box
b) The heavily loaded box would slide before the lightly loaded box
c) Both boxes would slide at the same time regardless of their load
d) Both boxes would have the same normal reaction regardless of their load

The Answer is (c) and I chose (a) as my answer.

The reason I chose (a) was because F=mn
F = frictional force
m = coeffient of friction
n = normal reaction

The coefficent of friction would be the same for the boxes but one of the boxes would have a larger normal reaction and hence have a larger frictional force because coefficient of friction x normal reaction are proportional to frictional force. So if the heavily loaded box has a larger reaction force then it has a large frictional force so shouldnt it slide first. ?

Then I tried another way. Tanm = Angle of sliding.
So the angle of the incline would stay constant for both boxes so theoretically they should slide at the same time?

I am not unsure about this question. Can anybody explain the concept behind it becaue I understand all the friction, power, incline questions and calculations but this one has stumped me.

Nosviper

HSC
This is not an accelleration question. The objects are sliding down a ramp not free falling. ITs a friction question

572SS

HSC
I Just done this question and i choose a) also; really pissed me off couldnt figure it out.

2syllables

Dango Daikazoku
HSC
Nosviper u have a good explaination, i would have gone with a) too

darn it i only worked solutions of 2002 - 2005 engineering studies hsc it explains the multiple choice mmmm...let me email my engineering teacher if has worked solutions for 06...

thehootman

HSC
No. Its not an acceleration question. It is a friction question. Anyway, they would slide at the same rate anyway, unless there is massive amounts of air resistance etc.
The key thing here is ANGLE OF REPOSE. That determines the angle that object slide. The weight of the objects makes no difference as the frictional force is proportional to the weight (and thus the extra weight is cancelled out by the extra frictional force of the heavier box), so both boxes begin to slide at the same time.

Remember, kinetic (moving friction) is NOT in the syllabus, so you will only have things "just about to move".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)