anyone heard of this? (1 Viewer)

Jezzabelle

The HSC graduate with a difference - he's only 15

Like most teenagers, there's nothing more Richard White enjoys in his spare time than watching movies or television, playing video games and hanging out with friends.

But the lanky physique and unassuming demeanour of this year 12 Kiama High School student belies his exceptional status, as one of the youngest students in the state to complete their Higher School Certificate.

Richard turned 15 less than two months ago, and by normal standards should be in his fourth term of year 9.

But after sitting for his final HSC exam in software design and development last Friday, Richard's school days are over.

Identified as gifted while still a toddler, he started school a year earlier than his peers, then leap-frogged his way through primary school. He is one of about 12,000 students across NSW who have been similarly accelerated.

"If I was still in year 9 I'd probably just be sitting there in class and falling asleep," he said. "By year 10, I'd be too lazy to study, maybe fall behind and fail."

Richard followed in the footsteps of his brother, Paul-James, who sat for HSC mathematics three years early.

Paul-James is now studying advanced maths at the University of Wollongong, the same course Richard hopes to begin next year, to satisfy his love of logic.

But the all-rounder also harbours an appetite for English literature, and has submitted his own short story for HSC English extension 2 - a work which examines the relationship between charity and social status which he describes as "Dickensian/ postmodernist" in style.

While his classmates are three years older, Richard believes there is little else that sets him apart socially. Only two of his friends have so far obtained their driver's licences - "we're all pretty laidback", he says.

The deputy principal of Kiama High School, Don Wilkinson, says Richard's maturity in appearance and personality has helped his smooth transition through school.

"Richard dresses and acts to his academic cohort more than his age cohort," he says.

"If we'd had concerns, we wouldn't have allowed this situation to develop."

With 1365 students, Kiama High is one of the state's largest regional secondary schools, and has previously achieved some outstanding HSC results, topping the state in subjects from Aboriginal studies to industrial technology.

Yet the school's facilities are less than state-of-the-art, with 11 demountables dotting the cramped grounds.

An ongoing building program has, however, delivered a new complex of 12 classrooms, and a three-storey sports, visual arts and staff building is in the final stages of planning.

What the school lacks in buildings, it makes up for in human resources, Mr Wilkinson said.

"We're well-resourced in terms of staff, and there's a great relationship between the school and the community."

sub

nope...but that's freaky. the guy wouldnt have any friends...we get some accelerates, and they dont make friends often cos they're not at the same maturity, but from that it seems as though he is...watever...my hsc is over :)

HSC
honestly wat a bloody tool
y ud wanna skip sum of the best yrs of ur life is beyond me

HSC
yeh same dude
the dux at our skewl did accelerated and he turns 16 soon
howeva he has no social skills at all
im always crackin funni jokes to him n shit n hes never laughing

illin

Ill factor
HSC
well he's not good at sport (i'm pretty sure because he doesnt have any time to do so with the HSC in yr 9) and i dont think he impresses the ladies that often with his "logic"

chantellet

HSC
dezzy said:
omg...KIAMA!

i live near there! lol
me too!! :)

Yeah I know a few people who have done this but in a way I think it makes them grow up too fast. My friend, who is a few years older than me, accelerated and finished like 2 or 3 yrs early and then went straight to uni. Because she was hanging out with older people she always wanted to do the things they were but couldn't because they were 18 and she was only 15 or 16. She got married real young and had kids young and kind of just did everything at once.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that but I just think it would be a shame to grow up to early and miss out on all the fun stuff about being a kid. u know?

Shifty

Bulldogs 04' Premiers
HSC
when i was 15 i didnt know wat literature was

Shifty

Bulldogs 04' Premiers
HSC
we've got two 20 year olds doin it at our school

Assasinator_2

HSC
"If I was still in year 9 I'd probably just be sitting there in class and falling asleep," he said. "By year 10, I'd be too lazy to study, maybe fall behind and fail."
He doesn't sound too intelligent. I slept throughout school right the way to the end of year 12, and still got an OP 4 (~94-95 UAI).

Not to mention i never studied, at all, during school.

Though I am happy I stayed in teh same yearlevel as my age dictated - it meant I matured at a (somewhat) equal rate to the rest of them (though the fact that they matured at all is questionable for some of them)

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Thats nothing, one uni that i wont mention have kids less that 10 doing the HSC in secretive fashion so thats why not much people know about it

..:MizJay:..

Super Supre Member
HSC
yeh its strange 15 is quite young.. we have some international students at our school, mainly asians, and they can be like 17-22 years old!

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
That's nothing, my school has a whole heap of 17 and 18 year olds doing their HSC. So there.

lala2

Banned
HSC
Did you hear about the guy last year or something? He turned 16 two days before the HSC, was in the SMH. Well, there are some oldies out there...one of my classmates will turn 19 in February 2006. The youngest will be about 16 and a half when the HSC starts

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
we had a 9 year old start with us in year 7 that would make her 14 or 15 when she sat her HSC this year

she left cos of the isolation... she was over her head . cos she was getting the marks and beating 12 and 13 year olds she made sure EVERYONE knew about it.

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
OUR SCHOOL doesnt accelarte people .. i dont think .. we have heaps of older people though from year 12 2004 repeating .. well 4 ... they are back already

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)