• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Anyone here do strength training? (3 Viewers)

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
does anyone use wrist straps?

my wrists fuck up when i do pushups on my palms, i gotta use my knuckles and it gets annoying sometimes.

left wrist atm is a bit screwd..

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
sounds like you've never even tried doing it? you are clearly an idiot. try resting a 100+ kg bar on your stomach. then roll it down so you can get up

moronic advice. dont take it, whoever is reading.

and omie jay that is not a big press. cut down your reps to under 12. why are your reps increasing after each set? are the first two sets not to failure? what is your barbell bench? just out of curiousity..
yes 100kg....

I think i would die just trying to get it onto my stomach.

Scissors

HSC
sounds like you've never even tried doing it? you are clearly an idiot. try resting a 100+ kg bar on your stomach. then roll it down so you can get up

moronic advice. dont take it, whoever is reading.

and omie jay that is not a big press. cut down your reps to under 12. why are your reps increasing after each set? are the first two sets not to failure? what is your barbell bench? just out of curiousity..
are you fucking stupid? we're not talking about benching 100kg. we're talking about benching a max of 50kg.

well, at least i am.

and yeah, i have tried it. i've tried it lots of times, and i haven't had any problems.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
i dont do first 2 to failure, but last one i do. triangle sets, or pyramid sets i think theyre called, dunno why i do it, i just pic an arbitrary number and do that many reps, making sure im thoroughly exhaused after my final set.

and i havnt barbell benched in ages, last i did it was a few years ago and it was 50kg then.

Scissors

HSC
does anyone use wrist straps?

my wrists fuck up when i do pushups on my palms, i gotta use my knuckles and it gets annoying sometimes.

left wrist atm is a bit screwd..
yeah, pushups can really fuck your wrists. use your knuckles.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
especially inclined.

i had my feet on my chair, about half a metre up, and its a killer on the palms since your angled downwards.

Scissors

HSC
especially inclined.

i had my feet on my chair, about half a metre up, and its a killer on the palms since your angled downwards.
yeah man, i really fucked my wrists a few years ago after consistently doing pushups, but now they're all good. now i just do pull ups and weights. i don't bother with pushups.

Pace_T

HSC
any set not to failure is a wasted set, unless of course, its a warm up set!

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
same actually, hahaha, but i dont do pullups, need pullupbar..

i sometimes do pushups directly after a weights session, real killer.

Pace_T

HSC
you know you're fit when you can bench your body weight. you know you're a strong cunt when you can bench 1.5 times your body weight. you know you're a tank when you can bench twice your body weight!

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
any set not to failure is a wasted set, unless of course, its a warm up set!
i'll keep that in mind next time.

normally i do first 2 sets a certain number of reps (enough to make me tired, but still able to do the same number of reps again), and my 3rd one will be to failure.

next weights session i'll do all to failure, probably meaning reps will be something like 25, 20, 15, lol.

Scissors

HSC
you know you're fit when you can bench your body weight. you know you're a strong cunt when you can bench 1.5 times your body weight. you know you're a tank when you can bench twice your body weight!
\
i can bench my body weight.

my brother benches like 120. but he's a fat cunt.

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
by the time i get down to 80-85 kgs I'd say i'll be able to bench it.

mootlicker

HSC
N/A
You guys do weird strength training. No offence but from what I've read you should all probably just focus on muscular hypetrophy and endurance before you start strength training. Unless you've done weight training for a few years and know EXACTLY what you're doing you shouldn't be attempting to bench your bodyweight or more.

Scissors, if you're getting pain in your wrists during pushups you probably aren't doing them right. Make sure you distribute the weight evenly by placing your fingers wide apart.

I don't know who was talking about resting the weight on their stomach but that's probably the stupidest most dangerous thing I've read when attempting a bench press. If you need to rest the weight do it at full lock and if you're doing max lifts ALWAYS have a spotter.

HalcyonSky

HSC
i went up from 15kg to 17.5kg (each hand) with dumbell chest press.

im quite happy with myself about that. infact i increased every weight by a bit this week.

woo for progess!
i'm the skinniest cat around and rarely go to the gym and i usually do 20~22 @ 8 reps

i thought you'd do more given your famously impressive pecs

Last edited:

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
thats what happens when u dont go to gym for a year, otherwise i'd be on 25kg now, maybe more.

i remember once in 2007 near the end of the year i was doing chest at gym with a mate, i did 17.5kg, first set 15 reps, second set 15, and on the third i said to my mate who was spotting me "i'll probably do 20 or more on the last one" and he told me "nah dude if u can do more then go up to 20kg, seriously dude it'll be heaps good for ya", so he knows way more about this stuff than i do, so i went for it, did 8 reps of 20kg.
This is after benching AND chest press, so i was fairly dead already.
i was quite strong for my height back then, but a year off and im down to 15kg, only went up to 17.5 the other day on friday.

plus its fucking heavy just to lift the 17.5kg weights and get into position, maybe i should get someone to spot me, especially if i wanna try out 20kgs, i should lay down and get my dad or someone to hand me the weights.

Last edited:

Venom.

HSC
You guys do weird strength training. No offence but from what I've read you should all probably just focus on muscular hypetrophy and endurance before you start strength training. Unless you've done weight training for a few years and know EXACTLY what you're doing you shouldn't be attempting to bench your bodyweight or more.

Scissors, if you're getting pain in your wrists during pushups you probably aren't doing them right. Make sure you distribute the weight evenly by placing your fingers wide apart.

I don't know who was talking about resting the weight on their stomach but that's probably the stupidest most dangerous thing I've read when attempting a bench press. If you need to rest the weight do it at full lock and if you're doing max lifts ALWAYS have a spotter.
Fail. You should be able to bench your own bodyweight within a year.

Scissors was talking about relatively low weight. If you get over the 180 pound barrier, resting on your chest and rolling down is a poor idea. For the purposes of this thread, Scissors is correct.

Venom.

HSC
k

IF U NEED TO REST IT ON YOUR BODY YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG
Fuck you look like a faggot.

And no.

PaceT is 100% correct. What I've adjudged you as saying is "go hard or go home", which is fair enough. Benching 17.5kg dumbells repeatedly will get you nowhere.

On a side note, a guy came to the gym today and benched 57.5kg dumbells. Everyone in the weights room ogled.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)