• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

anyone like optometry or are doing the course?? (1 Viewer)

emeka

HSC
N/A
hey guys. yeh optometry looks pretty good. u guys know what sort of stuff u learn? there should be chem, phy and maths, but how is the content? easy? do we jst learn abt the eye in all years? cos the 98plus UAI is pretty high and i thought it might be cos its pretty poplular. ta

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Yep, UNSW is the only university in NSW that offers Optometry, hence the UAI.
You will be introduce to some clinical optometry, the eye and infectious diseases associated with optometric practice during the first year.

babygoose!

>>rraahhh<<
HSC
ive applied for optometry as my 1st preference but i'm not sure if i'll get the uai....

ive applied for medical science 2nd in the hope of trying to transfer into optometry in my 2nd year or something....how possible do u think this would be?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
babygoose! said:
ive applied for optometry as my 1st preference but i'm not sure if i'll get the uai....

ive applied for medical science 2nd in the hope of trying to transfer into optometry in my 2nd year or something....how possible do u think this would be?
At least D (80) average and probably 95 UAI.
Coz they only accept no more than 5 for transfer I think, since B Opt only has about 45 to 50 people each year.

Last edited:

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
my second cousin does this course and its a tough demanding course. by the end they cut down the course numbers to around 20 for each year group and if you fail you have to redo the whole years course or drop out. they usually kick out the bottom people even if they have a D average. its tough

gyva85

HSC
lukebennett said:
my second cousin does this course and its a tough demanding course. by the end they cut down the course numbers to around 20 for each year group and if you fail you have to redo the whole years course or drop out. they usually kick out the bottom people even if they have a D average. its tough
geez are u serious!!...what are the future prospects because i have optometry as my first preference and pharmacy for my second. There seems to be alot of optometrists and pharmacists around, but with pharmacy, there seems to be more paths to take such as in private practice, in hospitals, industrial...etc.
what are ur thoughts??

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
gyva85 said:
geez are u serious!!...what are the future prospects because i have optometry as my first preference and pharmacy for my second. There seems to be alot of optometrists and pharmacists around, but with pharmacy, there seems to be more paths to take such as in private practice, in hospitals, industrial...etc.
what are ur thoughts??
if you did op you could work in a clinic or have a private practice. maybe design new contacts or somethin.it is hard though considering you need 98.? to get in in the first place. theres like only one other uni which does it too.

pharmacy prob does have more paths

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)