Anyone need help? (1 Viewer)

TheOptimist

__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲
HSC
Uni Grad
Does anyone know what we're meant to include when we 'evaluate the effectiveness' for this outcome?
Evaluate the effectiveness of quarantine in preventing the spread of plant and animal disease into Australia or across regions of Australia
Examples/examples/Examples :), so we could use foot and mouth desease and sorgum downy mildew as examples, both diseases have not entered into Australia yet due to effective quarantine practices

TheOptimist

__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲
HSC
Uni Grad
Does anyone know what we're meant to include when we 'evaluate the effectiveness' for this outcome?
Evaluate the effectiveness of quarantine in preventing the spread of plant and animal disease into Australia or across regions of Australia
Examples/examples/Examples :), so we could use foot and mouth desease and sorgum downy mildew as examples, both diseases have not entered into Australia yet due to effective quarantine practices

louielouiee

louielouielouielouielouie
HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
Alright everybody,

WHEN GIVEN A DIAGRAM ON THE XYLEM/PHLOEM!

How do you know how to identify which is which? Eg: Phloem has sieve plates & companion cells etc.

However, some pictures make it hard to identify.

Could you post pictures from google or somewhere else and explain how to tell them apart?

Aysce

HSC
Ok so this is linked to Darwins theory of evolution, some things you could talk about: social darwinism/Wilberforce Huxley debate/creationism vs evolution/redefiintion with mendialian gentitics; neo darwinism etc, you should also talk about social implications with religion etc --->used natural selection as justification for worng doings
Could you please offer some more points/resources on this?

Aysce

HSC
Ok so this is linked to Darwins theory of evolution, some things you could talk about: social darwinism/Wilberforce Huxley debate/creationism vs evolution/redefiintion with mendialian gentitics; neo darwinism etc, you should also talk about social implications with religion etc --->used natural selection as justification for worng doings
Could you please offer some more points/resources on this?

madharris

HSC
N/A
Alright everybody,

WHEN GIVEN A DIAGRAM ON THE XYLEM/PHLOEM!

How do you know how to identify which is which? Eg: Phloem has sieve plates & companion cells etc.

However, some pictures make it hard to identify.

Could you post pictures from google or somewhere else and explain how to tell them apart?
Xylem has rings/spirals

Alkanes

HSC
I don't think the exam will be heavy content (basing on last year's paper). So work on your skills (pedigrees, graphs, drawing etc)

madharris

HSC
N/A
How much do we have to know about meiosis? :s
Not too much.

Meiosis is a random form of cell division to produces gametes (sex cells: sperm/ova) and hence leads to the inheritance of genes. Meiosis halves the number of original chromosomes
-During meiosis, each chromosome makes a complete copy of itself. The duplicate chromosomes are attached to the originals by the centromeres
-Homologous chromosome pairs line up at the equator of the cell. Crossing over occurs, where sections of chromosome break off and rejoin onto the homologous chromosome

-In the first division of meiosis, homologous chromosome pairs separate into 2 new cells, so that each of the 2 new cells has half of the genetic information of the original, but a duplicate copy of each chromosome.
-In the second division of meiosis, duplicated chromosomes separate to single strands, resulting in 4 sex cells that are haploid

-Genes are located on chromosomes. Therefore they are duplicated, then randomly assorted during meiosis as homologous chromosomes are randomly assorted into haploid gametes
-Each gamete has only one copy of the homologous pair and thus many different combinations are possible

I think that's probably about it...

teeah

HSC
can anyone help me with the hydrangeas and effect of light on plant growth prac. it goes under the effect of environment on phenotype
I'm not sure if anyone has answered this yet, but I recall talking about a 2 pracs in class that may have something o do with the above;

Hydrangeas
Basically in acidic soil, you have the growth of blue hydrangeas promoted, whereas in basic soils they're pink.
If you were to write up a prac task on it (don't think you will) just basically ensure you have a control in neutral soil for something to compare it with, and do it with a large no for reliability (+ the obvious controls, temp, light availability water and nutrient availability etc)

Light + Plant Growth
Obtain a large number of seeds of plants of the Same species (preferably from the same packet) and divide it into 3; put 1/3 under a constant source of blue light, 1/3 under a constant source of red light and 1/3 under no light (I think it was no light, tho could've been sunlight..though this wouldn't be constant so it's probably no light for comparison purposes) over several weeks, record their heights and take photos of their growth (at the same time) to determine the impact of light on plant's growth. Make sure to include controls and identify no light/sunlight as control and also include your controls.

Hope that helps :)

Aysce

HSC
I wish the biology community of Bored of Studies would be consistently lively like this. Just so great to see after 1.5 years here.

teeah

HSC
What do you reckon are the most important things we need to know regarding blood?
The composition of blood (substances carried in it I.e. dissolved co2, carbonate ions, oxyhemoglobin etc)
Need for future research into blood products
Existing replacement blood products

I think this is it :S

cornchips1

HSC
Thanks! and does anyone have a really simple explanation of DNA replication? I just want it broken down

Aysce

HSC
Thanks! and does anyone have a really simple explanation of DNA replication? I just want it broken down
1. Helicase causes it to unwind
2. DNA polymerase causes it to unzip and weak hydrogen bonds break whilst nitrogenous pairing split/unpair.
3. DNA polymerase picks up nucleotides in the nuclear sap and pair them with the nucleotides of two separated DNA strands.
4. DNA polymerase scans pairing for errors.
5. Two double-helix DNA strands are formed.

teeah

HSC
Ahh, I have one that I drew out (visual learner lol) but I don't know how to upload it here :/ I could email it to you though, if you want :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)