Anyone need help? (1 Viewer)

Eduard_Khil

CASIO fx-82ES PLUS
HSC
N/A
How do you answer questions that ask about darwin/wallace theory of evolution. Like how does this relate etc.?
relate to....???? are you talking about how their theory of evolution is relevent to the ideas of convergent/divergent evolution, punctuate equilibrium, etc, etc?

poh123

HSC
k so for the darwin/wallace theory ,if they ask you to link that to a modern example of natural selection and i pick peppered moth, what are the KEY points i need to list (marking criteria), assume its a 3/4 marker

louielouiee

louielouielouielouielouie
HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
I don't know about you guys,

But I don't think a question on the historical development of understanding the cause & prevention of malaria (including naming all those people involved: laveran, golgi, manson, grassi and ross) has ever been asked in the HSC.

At least not for the past couple years.

madharris

HSC
N/A
k so for the darwin/wallace theory ,if they ask you to link that to a modern example of natural selection and i pick peppered moth, what are the KEY points i need to list (marking criteria), assume its a 3/4 marker
Outline the theory of natural selection
Changes in the environment force species to die out or diversity:
E.g. Pre-industrial revolution most peppered moths were light coloured and survived as they camouflaged on the white lichen trees.
Post-IR, pollution caused the trees to go black, meaning that the black moth was camouflaged, so the white moths were eaten and the dark moths survived and reproduced
THe population shifted from mostly white - black

madharris

HSC
N/A

But I don't think a question on the historical development of understanding the cause & prevention of malaria (including naming all those people involved: laveran, golgi, manson, grassi and ross) has ever been asked in the HSC.

hopefully it won't be asked this year :)

I think i only know enough info for about 3 marks if they ask that :(

louielouiee

louielouielouielouielouie
HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
hopefully it won't be asked this year :)

I think i only know enough info for about 3 marks if they ask that :(

They could be really, and I mean REALLY mean this year. There is easily enough information on it for 5 marks.

teeah

HSC

If they ask this, I am dead...there is a reason I didn't choose any histories, terrible at remembering names and dates :( does anyone have a really short summary for this?

madharris

HSC
N/A
If they ask this, I am dead...there is a reason I didn't choose any histories, terrible at remembering names and dates :( does anyone have a really short summary for this?
-4 BC: Greeks though that symptoms of malaria caused by breathing in marsh vapours or bites of insects that live in marshes
-1880: Laveran observed micro-organisms in flash blood from malarial patients and suggested that malaria was caused by this micro-organism
-1886: Golgi observed asexual reproduction of microbe in blood of patients
-1894: Patrick Manson proposed that malaria is transmitted by mosquitoes
-1898: Grassi discovered that malaria was transmitted by the Anopheles mosquito
-1897-1899: Ronal Ross established that the protozoan Plasmodium was the cause of malaria, winning the Noble Prize
-Early 20th: Treatments of malaria were developed, including anti-malarial drugs such as quinine. Efforts to stop the spread of malaria include using DDT to kill the disease vector – the mosquito
-Today: Resistance to quinine and other drugs by the Plasmodium, as well as DDT resistance by the mosquitoes has become a problem. Development of a malarial vaccine is the main direction research is doing

madharris

HSC
N/A
I've just memorised Sir Patric Manson and Ronald Ross in detail though

TheOptimist

__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲
HSC
Uni Grad
-4 BC: Greeks though that symptoms of malaria caused by breathing in marsh vapours or bites of insects that live in marshes
-1880: Laveran observed micro-organisms in flash blood from malarial patients and suggested that malaria was caused by this micro-organism
-1897-1899: Ronal Ross established that the protozoan Plasmodium was the cause of malaria, winning the Noble Prize
-Early 20th: Treatments of malaria were developed, including anti-malarial drugs such as quinine. Efforts to stop the spread of malaria include using DDT to kill the disease vector – the mosquito
-Today: Resistance to quinine and other drugs by the Plasmodium, as well as DDT resistance by the mosquitoes has become a problem. Development of a malarial vaccine is the main direction research is doing
+ chloroquinine was the first synthetic anti-malarial drug used :)

TheOptimist

__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲
HSC
Uni Grad
what's the difference b/w tRNA and mRNA?
mRNA: is able to travel between the nucleus and cytoplasm, it travels from within the nucleus to the endoplasmic reticulum to the ribosomes where translation occurs.
tRNA: anticodons whcih match to triplet codons in the mRNA sequence, each tRNA anticodon carries a specific amino acid, when in sequence they create peptide bonds between amino acids ---> polypeptide chains

wilsondw

HSC
looks like ahmad shah idils notes

teeah

HSC
You are brilliance, thank you!

Question: am I correct in my understanding of the immune response?

Pathogen enters body and is recognised by the macrophages due to thre presence of foreign markers on cell body, phagocytosis occurs and it is engulfed, it's debris displayed on the surface of the macrophage to alert T cells to initiate the immune response. Recognising this, T cells release interleukins causing the rapid production of B cells which differentiate to plasma cells to produce antibodies and T killer cells are produced to destroy the threat. T helper cells are produced to promote the activity of B and T cells and once teh threat is removed, T suppressor cells bring the immune response to a stop. Memory B and T cells have been produced during this process for fast combat upon reexposure to the pathogen.

Is this right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)