anyone out there who thinks HSC is elitist? (1 Viewer)

leeamja

HSC
I did VCE myself and only got 85 (out of a possible 99.95). Sick of reading continuous "I got >90" etc etc. Anyone else agree?

elisabeth

HSC
Well this has been talked about a lot before, but a lot of the above people were on here all year, using resources and sharing knowledge in the other forums. Whereas there might not be so many people in the UAI threads representing the <30 category, because most of those people didn't utilise all academic resources, like BOS. Sure, there's a higher average than the state here, but also think about it - there are probably similar amounts of 80s, 70s, 60s, 50s... to the 90s people, but not everyone is comfortable sharing their UAIs.

MasterP

Come to Daddy
HSC
^ Correct. And those who ended up with useless UAIs might find themselves having no reason to come here and getting it rubbed in.

leeamja

HSC
ummmm.

MasterP said:
^ Correct. And those who ended up with useless UAIs might find themselves having no reason to come here and getting it rubbed in.
yes but i thought id done quite well. not to mention the fact im the only one at my school whom i know of who even knew about the site!

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
leeamja said:
yes but i thought id done quite well. not to mention the fact im the only one at my school whom i know of who even knew about the site!
It puts your achievment into context. For some people this is a rude shock.

elisabeth

HSC
You did do well! See that's just it, I know everyone compares themselves, but no matter who you are, there's always someone smarter than you and someone who does better than you and people who do worse. You're still what, top 20% of the state? If you feel you've done your best, then don't be disappointed, be happy with what you've achieved.

LostAuzzie

HSC
You got a good mark and should be proud of yourself, but as others have said, BOS users generally represent the higher levels of academic achievement as represented by around 50% of the users attaining >90

If you are happy with your mark you shouldnt need to compare it to others

elisabeth

HSC
Exactly. And there's nothing wrong with people posting and being proud of their marks. Just because others didn't do so well doesn't mean you should hide or downplay what you got. The UAI is a rank, there can only be so many people in each position. At the end of the day, if someone doesn't want to see other people's UAIs, don't check out the threads where they're likely to be mentioned.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Saying the HSC is elitist in comparison to the VCE makes no sense. Both the Victorian ENTER and the UAI and calculated in a similar way as a percentile rank...

It may seem like everyone in the HSC does uber-well if you look at this board, but as the others have stated, it's just because most of the users on this board are the ones that become somewhat obsessed with HSC preparation. If there were more VCE students on here I'm sure you would find similar posts about the VCE, and people who got high study scores and ENTERs and stuff.

Well done on your ENTER by the way.

7th Sign

HSC
theirs just heaps of 90s on this site because their to many smart people on here...seriosuly who wants to go to a school based forum lol only kids who are looking to better their marks and boast lol....thats what it basically comes down to...

krabby_me

Footy Fan (go cats)
HSC
I reckon that the HSC isnt about intelligence. I got the marks that i needed, but i didnt try anywhere near my potential. I decided, i want this course, so im gonna get a slightly higher UAI, and then i wont be worn out for uni.
I still had to work my butt off near the exams, but i had much longer breaks then if i needed a 99. Im gonna pretty easily get into ANU engineering at 85.
During the HSC i not only concentrated on marks, but on community and sport as well. It builds up a better profile so you look better comapred to someone who got 99 with no sport or community service.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
This site was created by nerds.. for nerds. Bragging is like the social conversational comfort zone of nerds, generally arising from a deep-seated inferiority complex.

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
7th Sign said:
theirs just heaps of 90s on this site because their to many smart people on here...seriosuly who wants to go to a school based forum lol only kids who are looking to better their marks and boast lol....thats what it basically comes down to...
And you are here, why?

Alimoe_KG

HSC
absolution* said:
This site was created by nerds.. for nerds. Bragging is like the social conversational comfort zone of nerds, generally arising from a deep-seated inferiority complex.

Whereas your inferiority is obviously more out in the open.

tennille

HSC
7th Sign said:
There are heaps of 90s on this site because, like others have mentioned, people who don't go as well don't necessarily want to tell others what they got. I'm sure there are an equal amount of 70s and all that in which people have received on this site, as Elisabeth has mentioned. Not everyone uses the resources here and not everyone posts in the subject forums.

7th Sign

HSC
what971 said:
And you are here, why?

Ive been on here a lot longer then you

I weas just told to sign up here by a mate of mine...I find some poeple on here amusing....

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
7th Sign said:
Ive been on here a lot longer then you

I weas just told to sign up here by a mate of mine...I find some poeple on here amusing....
Good Enough :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)