anyone put down communications or media? (1 Viewer)

Basil84

hey
anyone doing media and comminucations, or would like to, or doing a similar thing?
I have like put in for it at like 4 uni's
Bit worried about the theory in it, cause like.. hmm sounds like english horrible stuff. I wanted to escape that.

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
yup - i put down writing and contemporary cultures, some communications course at uts.....

i'm PRAYING that i get in, but chances are prolly not cos i didn't try hard enough for my exams.

bex

HSC
Yeah mine all have something to do with communications/media.. except arts at sydney... theyre spread over about 5 unis

!meeee!

melbourne during uni- sydney during holidays
not to discourage you guys cause i'm sure it's a great course and you're all suited to it and i wish you the best of luck getting in but... i've heard with the popularity there are a lot of media/com graduates out there
and for the vast majority dreams of going into PR or journalism just don't eventuate
that doesn't mean it's not a great degree. i bet it is, i think you just have to realise to succeed it's gonna take a lot more than a media/com degree
but that goes for any course!

GJ_JOE

blood brother
i wanted to put it down but theres like no chance i'll get high 80s, low 90s so i didn't bother

bex

HSC
not to discourage you guys cause i'm sure it's a great course and you're all suited to it and i wish you the best of luck getting in but... i've heard with the popularity there are a lot of media/com graduates out there
thats true...for so many graduates there are very few jobs... to really make it you need experience, vision, fresh ideas and determination.. otherwise youre just going to be like every other graduate out there...

pinkbella

Dancing naked in the moonlight (can't handle it? d
Originally posted by bex

thats true...for so many graduates there are very few jobs... to really make it you need experience, vision, fresh ideas and determination.. otherwise youre just going to be like every other graduate out there...
Yeah, but come on, it's the same for EVERY course
Unless you have what it takes to stand out from the pack, very few corporations will actually hire you...

Who cares anyway?
Full time work is 3 or 4 years away...lets just enjoy the degreee for now (if we all get in, which I'm sure we will!)
OR...even better...the uni social scene :D

!meeee!

isn't that kinda ridiculous and pointless? i mean you've worked hard to get to uni so that you can have your dream career... uni preferences do matter and yes it's great to enjoy your course and yes you should do what you want to do but you need to be realistic about what will happen afterwards.
and i don't think it's the same for every course. if you get say a law degree or a medicine degree or a teaching degree you're more or less sure of getting a job due to the demand etc. whether or not you get the best paying job is another question but your employment prospects are a lot more secure

Jenjen

I disagee.

Firstly I think that it is the same in any course- you have to stand out to get a job

Secondly, we've only JUST begun to think about the future in terms of uni and what we're interested in. I don't know anyone that is actually thinking 100% seriously about the end of uni. Most of us are just happy to think about what we are really interested in doing and doing what we love next year.

And thirdly, most people I know that do media courses are extroverts who ar crazy happy people that can survive better in the world than someone who does a IT degree and is guaranteed a job in IBM.

I know where I'd rather be!!

!meeee!

You're kinda contradicting yourself hon
You're saying "I disagee. Firstly I think that it is the same in any course- you have to stand out to get a job"
But then you go on to say "someone who does a IT degree and is guaranteed a job in IBM."

If anything you seem to be supporting what I said in my last message. In some courses you are guaranteed a job and others, like media com, you need to stand out.
Don't get me wrong, you should be doing what you love, i fully support that. It is however realistic to think of where that will lead. You're not forking out thousands of dollars in hecs for nothing

bex

HSC
isn't that kinda ridiculous and pointless? i mean you've worked hard to get to uni so that you can have your dream career... uni preferences do matter and yes it's great to enjoy your course and yes you should do what you want to do but you need to be realistic about what will happen afterwards.
Thats a stupid philosophy.. youre not being realistic, youre being pessimistic (spelling!?)! To live life thinking that i wont do what i want because its all too hard is silly because then you will never get what you want... Its like, considering the recent threats of terrorism we all just bury ourselves in the sand....

Realisticaly, after uni in the communications field the base salary isnt very much... the jobs are hard working and theyre few and far between.. HOWEVER if it is what you love then you should be striving to be the best... and it wouldnt really matter what youre salary/job is in the beginning because in communications, every job is important and the foundations for something greater

I dont think its very fair of you to come into this thread and say.. thats great that you are ambitious but dont think youre ever going to get anywhere... thats not a quote but its what youre basically saying... just bugger off and go to threads that concern your chosen career paths as opposed to shooting down ours!

!meeee!

you're picking a fight with the wrong person. when i made those comments i was arguing with someone who was shooting down what you said.
so essentially right now you're arguing with yourself cause i was arguing your case.
and i'm sorry if you took it so badly but that's not at all what i meant. i think media/com's a great degree. i think there are fantastic career's out there. i just think you have to be prepared to do the hard slog after you leave uni in order to be successful, and that's true for many degrees. however the only thing i think is ridiculous and pointless is denying the fact that you'll have to keep working after your degree cause there's a lot more to it, you need to stand out, be prepared to work your way up etc.
i'm sure you'll all be incredibly successful if it's what you love and you're determined to do it

pinkbella

Dancing naked in the moonlight (can't handle it? d
Look, nobody here has done a media/comm degree, so nobody really has a right to judge, do they?
Do any of you carrying on about how much it sucks in the workforce actually want to do media and communications?

And there is NO SUCH THING as a degree which guarentees you a job. If you look in the good uni's guide, EVERY SINGLE COURSE has people who are still seeking work a few months after the degree ends.
Law degrees don't guarentee anything. You need to be a good lawyer to make it, who would hire someone who wasn't?
Maybe IT degrees have some sort of security but that's one out of how many.

Now let's all get back to what we're really meant to be discussing...
does anyone particularly want to go into public relations, and if so, do you have any idea what the better courses are? I heard CSU is excellent, but the 2nd essay question just made me piss myself laughing...

Jin-17

peace everyone. People are entilted to their own opinions, but I guess its how u act and respond to it that counts. Anyways, as long as evryone is happy I am happy as well:D Happiness makes the world go around.

!meeee!

for the sake of arguing let me assure you that teaching, nursing and IT basically ensure you a job due to demand
but keep your pants on sweetheart, no one's trying to crash your dreams. just making a comment about how to achieve them. not afriad of a bit of hard work, are you?
seriously though, the hsc is over so try and relax. it'll do you good

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)