Anyone really dislike extension history? (1 Viewer)

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
hmm since this thread is attracting a lot of attention, im just wondering, do any of you have any notes or any analysis on the sources from the source booklet? i need help thanks !

Kezalicious

HSC
man you guys really know your stuff...I'm so screwed competiting with rest fo the state...argh just want this year over faster.

Did you focus on any particuliar historians people? Von ranke...Elton etc

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
Did you focus on any particuliar historians people? Von ranke...Elton etc
you mean for the essay on 'what is history'? I didn't exactly 'focus' on one or two historians, but I had 6-7 that I knew the most about/was most comfortable with. You can't remember everyone in the source booklet! - I think if you try to focus on too many of the historians you probably compromise the depth of your response. So, know a few of the historians (under 10 I would say) very well and memorise some quotes. Ideally, don't only focus on historians from similiar time periods (eg. you don't want all classical or renaissance historians). try to get some diversity chronologically and in terms of their approach to defining and writing history - that way you can compare and contrast the development of 'what is history' throughout time contextually.

X

xeuyrawp

silvermoon said:
you mean for the essay on 'what is history'? I didn't exactly 'focus' on one or two historians, but I had 6-7 that I knew the most about/was most comfortable with. You can't remember everyone in the source booklet! - I think if you try to focus on too many of the historians you probably compromise the depth of your response. So, know a few of the historians (under 10 I would say) very well and memorise some quotes. Ideally, don't only focus on historians from similiar time periods (eg. you don't want all classical or renaissance historians). try to get some diversity chronologically and in terms of their approach to defining and writing history - that way you can compare and contrast the development of 'what is history' throughout time contextually.
I know it's bad to objectify things, but between 5-8 seems to allow for the best answers.

Asheroth

Paranoid Android
HSC
One of the exemplar responses in the Standards Pack was just a comparison of Elton and Carr, with some other supporting historians thrown in. :confused:

It irritates me that, for some reason, people still believe that Carr is the definitive example of relativism. If you want to discuss relativism, use Jenkins or some theorist.

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
Asheroth said:
One of the exemplar responses in the Standards Pack was just a comparison of Elton and Carr, with some other supporting historians thrown in. :confused:

It irritates me that, for some reason, people still believe that Carr is the definitive example of relativism. If you want to discuss relativism, use Jenkins or some theorist.
too right brother!

I only discussed Elton and Carr in my response (2005 HSC). Although this wasn't at all a plan before the exam, or even in the exam. As last years question demanded focus on the provided source more than most years, I guess I decided that it would be best not to spend too much time on discussing various far-flung historians. In many ways I find Elton and Carr combined seem to cover most of the issues that the history extension raises.

And yeah, I get very tired of students discussing Carr as some kind of epitomy of relativism. Most students go claiming this without even having read Carr's "What is History?". I thoroughly reccomend it to any student, both to use as a source for the exam and to broaden your understanding of 'historiography'.

HSC
Wow, now I feel really bad. I am getting a new extension history and modern history teacher, and I am happy about that because my new teacher is my adv. english and ext 2 teacher as well, and she is such a good teacher- but, its because my extension hist teacher, has cancer, and has to leave work, which really sucks because he is such a nice guy, despite being a boring teacher.
So I am in two minds.

Now, all my classes that i have teachers for (except for maths) are done by my 2 favourite teachers...which is quite weird.

X

xeuyrawp

fleepbasding said:
Way too many people dropped hist ext in my class last year. Most just get overwhelmed by the readings and feel that "What is History" has too much scope to be able to synthesise into a 1 hour essay. Contrary to what some people in this thread have said, I don't think it's that easy to achieve a band E4, and I don't think many people actually get it. I've heard stories of entire cohorts shanking it (marks in the 30s) and even statistically less people get E4 in hist ext compared to other ext subjects. From memory, it is about 10%.
You realise that statistics are available on such things?

Anyhoo, I agree with you for the most part. Most people drop it because of the sheer amount of work.

I think my class went from 33 in the beginning to 7 - I'm sure the teachers were expecting it and didn't ease the initial numbers with adding more classes.

acosti

HSC
N/A
Oi Does Anyone Have Economics And History Extension On Same Day For Hsc Timetable? Its Fucked We Get Like An Hour Break. If Everybody Helps Out By Ringing Bos Or Emailing Them We Can Get It Changed

Concerned Student
Anonymous

emison

HSC
N/A
I would liken the experience of doing the subject to that of being raped continually by a hoard of wookies. It seriously is poo.

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
Everyone I know doing this subject outside that of my school is dropping it :(

Shoelia

HSC
I really liked the historiography part of extension, I found it interesting, though i really need to improve my essays. Thing is, its catered for modern history students. At least at my school it is. Which sucks because i hate modern history, and we're doing appeasement.

I won't be dropping it though but I would prefer to do something inbetween Modern and Ancient. We were supposed to be doing Elizabeth. I mean come on, there are over 10 centuries of history our education doesn't cover and my one chance and they give me Hitler.

Gah. Oh to be an Ancient Historian in this modern, modern world.

X

xeuyrawp

Shoelia said:
I mean come on, there are over 10 centuries of history our education doesn't cover
Same as 99% of unis, unfortunately.

Then again, there's 13.7 billion years of history, and I only know two universities world-wide which teach from then til now. ;)

blond!34eva

HSC
Shoelia said:
I really liked the historiography part of extension, I found it interesting, though i really need to improve my essays. Thing is, its catered for modern history students. At least at my school it is. Which sucks because i hate modern history, and we're doing appeasement.

I won't be dropping it though but I would prefer to do something inbetween Modern and Ancient. We were supposed to be doing Elizabeth. I mean come on, there are over 10 centuries of history our education doesn't cover and my one chance and they give me Hitler.

Gah. Oh to be an Ancient Historian in this modern, modern world.
at my school.... its the totally opposite.. im a modern history lover ,, but i hate ancient... and they chose to do ancient .. without even for warning me ... so right now i am trying to study for this freaking topic i hate ... tacitus :( ... but i love the historiogrpahy part.. and i get that.. i just suck at ancient and i have thought of dropping ext due even though i love my major work .:( i dunno what to do :S

pezdog

HSC
So far we have basically only done the historiographical issues....and its boring as kcuf. We did our major work proposals a few weeks ago and ext his suddenly got alot more interesting. Should probably start revising all the historians for my half yearlys next week lol...

jzjen

HSC
ElendilPeredhil said:
Does anyone here really dislike extension history?
I did extension history because I love history, I’m doing ancient and modern as well but I have just found it really crappy and pointless. My teacher is a very vague man who trails off in the middle of sentences and I nearly fall asleep every Tuesday and Friday morning when I go to it.
It’s a shame, because I think, I could like this subject a little bit more with a better teacher but as it is it seems pointless- a good cure for insomnia.
I don’t know what I was expecting from extension history but a lot of this stuff is really rubbish. Anyone agree with me?
im currently doing ext history... and for out case study, we're learning bush legends... anyone done that before? coz im lost and we're not studying it till like term 3... helP!

:cold:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)