Anyone thinking about giving gifts to their teachers? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Was just thinking about this and I dont know if I shoud? If so what? Or is that lameee??

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Being someone who has taught and seen out 2-3 grades to the very last lesson, I can assure you it means the world of difference to us.

My last class gave me a nice big card which they all left wonderful messages on, and one student even drew something extra on her own.

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
Going to try and take my music teacher out for a beer although he'll probably decline because of the whole "inappropriate relationship" thing.

LifeBoats

Wizard.
HSC
I think it's a great idea. You should get something permanent as opposed to chocolates or flowers. Although a tad corny, I think they'll appreciate a gift that pertains to what the teacher does. For example, my chem class is giving our teacher the Breaking Bad box set. Haha.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
A large supply of consumables is still okay.

For example one of my teachers ALWAYS had a bottle of diet coke with him every single lesson, so as a present we got him a 24 pack of diet coke.

Similarly another teacher always had one of those Eclipse Mints with him, so we got him a box of about 12 packs.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Getting all my teacher's a gift. Maybe get a class gift? So everyone will chip it.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I've been thinking about this a bit lately, some of my teachers are so lovely that I'd feel mean leaving without even giving them a thank you card.

I was thinking gifts would be nice, some of my teachers I actually chat to I could think of something that they would like but then if I'm giving gifts to some of my teachers I should at least some kind of stock consumable present to all my teachers and thank them too...

I was thinking when we get our HSC results going in to give them? We get them 6AM the morning of the last day of school right? But if HSC results are after school ends, I might give them after the assembly thing in Dec.

I've been thinking about this too much, but it's not really the norm where I live to do it.

enoilgam

HSC
I've been thinking about this a bit lately, some of my teachers are so lovely that I'd feel mean leaving without even giving them a thank you card.

I was thinking gifts would be nice, some of my teachers I actually chat to I could think of something that they would like but then if I'm giving gifts to some of my teachers I should at least some kind of stock consumable present to all my teachers and thank them too...

I was thinking when we get our HSC results going in to give them? We get them 6AM the morning of the last day of school right? But if HSC results are after school ends, I might give them after the assembly thing in Dec.

I've been thinking about this too much, but it's not really the norm where I live to do it.
To be honest, I think most teachers appreciate a nice thankyou after the results have come out.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
To be honest, I think most teachers appreciate a nice thankyou after the results have come out.
Aw thanks for the input enilogram. I thought it'd be nice to do it after results are out, especially if I want to share the excitement of any good ones, and some teachers might be curious to know how my subject mark ended up helping in my ATAR (though I think they come out after school ends this year, but I could always ask them if they'd like an email/text depending on the teacher).

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
For the teachers that had gone above and beyond for me, I made them coffee mugs at a hobby ceramics place. With their name and little details that were specific to them. I think it's a nice thing to do because mugs are really useful and they can use it in the staffroom and such.

flower3000

HSC
what if your teachers have declined to help you throughout the entire year?

Living Moment

HSC
what if your teachers have declined to help you throughout the entire year?
Yep I feel you, I would rather give them a big slap and English lessons appose to gifts

Guess that what you get for living in the western suburbs =(

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
In over 20 years of teaching HSC students I think I have had about 4 gifts given and it has never worried me as the best gift is the best results that you can get in the subject.

eat_well

HSC
Most of my teachers have been incredible and there are already people that are collecting money and buying a present on behalf of the class. I don't think teachers get anywhere near enough recognition for the work they do.

So yes. I will most definitely be getting a present for the majority of my teachers.

eat_well

HSC
I think it's a great idea. You should get something permanent as opposed to chocolates or flowers. Although a tad corny, I think they'll appreciate a gift that pertains to what the teacher does. For example, my chem class is giving our teacher the Breaking Bad box set. Haha.
That's EPIC. I was thinking of getting my physics teacher that since we learn about Heisenberg's contribution.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)