Anyone thinking of doing vet science? (1 Viewer)

ssejamafone

Ninja?
HSC
N/A
I've always really wanted to do vet science, but when i see the required uai's, then that kinda put's me off... TT_TT

But, when i saw in last years uai for uws, for DFEE the uai cut off was only 93.8 or something like that... well, a LOT lower than the csp uai of 98-ish.

So, my interest in taking up vet science has been rekindled once again! I just hope that the uai either stays the same or goes down this year...

anyone else?

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
HSC
ssejamafone said:
I've always really wanted to do vet science, but when i see the required uai's, then that kinda put's me off... TT_TT

But, when i saw in last years uai for uws, for DFEE the uai cut off was only 93.8 or something like that... well, a LOT lower than the csp uai of 98-ish.

So, my interest in taking up vet science has been rekindled once again! I just hope that the uai either stays the same or goes down this year...

anyone else?
:wave: jess ! =]

haha if the CSP cutoff was a bit lower ... like 95 or something , i`d consider doing it .. 98 is so out of my league !!
and yeah DFEE is like 40k a year - whoa so high.

i might stick it on my prefs and use FEE-HELP ... so yeah :)

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Two of my friends are now considering VET science because of their umat scores. Check out Charles Sturt Uni it's around 94 but i think applications for the compulstory interview may have already closed.

SSejychan

HSC
xclusv2bhung said:
:wave: jess ! =]

haha if the CSP cutoff was a bit lower ... like 95 or something , i`d consider doing it .. 98 is so out of my league !!
and yeah DFEE is like 40k a year - whoa so high.

i might stick it on my prefs and use FEE-HELP ... so yeah :)
hey Hung. :wave:

actually, it's only $24,480 annually, so it's not toooo much.. =)

Wooz said:
Two of my friends are now considering VET science because of their umat scores. Check out Charles Sturt Uni it's around 94 but i think applications for the compulstory interview may have already closed.
actually, i had considered applying for csu... however... the application form that we had to fill in included such things as "my prior committment to rural veterinary practises", and "my views on the rural animal industry", or something to that effect....

and... i kinda couldn't really answer those questions, and they had to be answered like an essay (1000+ words)... so, needless to say, i didn't apply to csu.. :(

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
HSC
SSejychan said:
hey Hung. :wave:

actually, it's only $24,480 annually, so it's not toooo much.. =)
what ! are you serious !?
only 24k ?? gosh i thought it was 40 the whole time !! ><

if its only 24k , i`ll move it up my prefs a bit ...
hmm .. *checks UAC guide*

uhh @USYD it says its 33360. o_O" or did you find your sources somewhere else ?

SSejychan

HSC
xclusv2bhung said:
what ! are you serious !?
only 24k ?? gosh i thought it was 40 the whole time !! ><

if its only 24k , i`ll move it up my prefs a bit ...
hmm .. *checks UAC guide*

uhh @USYD it says its 33360. o_O" or did you find your sources somewhere else ?
Yeah, you're right Hung. It is $33360 for dfee... the 24k is for csp.. >_>" I got confused cos i was looking at the usyd site and ... i dunno... i think i just got the costs confused.....

:( ....

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
$33360 per yr?

cos DFEE is generally bloody expensive :(

vodkacrumble

shiftworker
HSC
i has actually started to thinking about doing vet science....but i realised i deal with injured people far better than injured animals. i cry whenever i watch RSPCA Animal Rescue :(

SSejychan

HSC
vodkacrumble said:
i has actually started to thinking about doing vet science....but i realised i deal with injured people far better than injured animals. i cry whenever i watch RSPCA Animal Rescue :(
awww..... :eek:.... same here.. =(

and, lol, i was wrong about the csp = 24 k thing. For some reason, on the usyd website, they give 2 conflicting dfee costs... but the 33k one is the correct cost... >_>"

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
HSC
thanks for the info :)
damnit 33k is .. quite a bloody bit.

>.<"
and i was here complainin about pharmacy's 24k.

Emma_Kate

HSC
hey all, i'll just throw this out there - i'd suggest doing some good research into the facilities, classes and things that you would be paying for if you pick DFEE.
In the grand scheme of things it is quite expensive, and i'm assuming you would be really wanting to vet if you would pay that ammount - so my suggestion would be looking @ some other uni's as well? Just becayse usyd is usyd, doesn't make it the best uni to do vet at, so if you were going to pay that ammount, so research children!

oh and another thing, don't let the csu vet application freak you out, i did one for jcu (not as essay like though) - and as long as you take a little time to think about it, and do a bit of research it's pretty easy to fill in the form and especially if your from the city you can do little things to show your interest in rural vet (like volunteer for the ag association etc).

Good luck for HSC, i promise it's not as bad as it may seem!!

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
HSC
Emma_Kate said:
hey all, i'll just throw this out there - i'd suggest doing some good research into the facilities, classes and things that you would be paying for if you pick DFEE.
In the grand scheme of things it is quite expensive, and i'm assuming you would be really wanting to vet if you would pay that ammount - so my suggestion would be looking @ some other uni's as well? Just becayse usyd is usyd, doesn't make it the best uni to do vet at, so if you were going to pay that ammount, so research children!

oh and another thing, don't let the csu vet application freak you out, i did one for jcu (not as essay like though) - and as long as you take a little time to think about it, and do a bit of research it's pretty easy to fill in the form and especially if your from the city you can do little things to show your interest in rural vet (like volunteer for the ag association etc).

Good luck for HSC, i promise it's not as bad as it may seem!!
lol that was nice of you =)

i`m assuming you do vet sci somewhere ?

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
Never considered it. I'm guessing most of you are animal lovers? personally i find it difficult to be around suffering animals...
humans not so much though..

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
vodkacrumble said:
hahaha yeah my thoughts exactly...RSPCA is a disturbing show... afterwards I pull out the pop-corn when watching the humans suffer in medical emergency.. we need help

vodkacrumble

shiftworker
HSC
Bacilli said:
hahaha yeah my thoughts exactly...RSPCA is a disturbing show... afterwards I pull out the pop-corn when watching the humans suffer in medical emergency.. we need help
yes! exactly! dear me, i never thought of it like that...

lala2

Banned
HSC
Yeah, it's 33k a year for DFEE, so it's very expensive. Have you considered other unis? Especially if you're looking to do farm or large animals (such as horses) as a career, a rural uni may be able to provide better opportunities. Someone was considering CSU vet science because she wants to go into horse practice, until she transferred successfully into vet science at USYD.

Emma_Kate

HSC
hey lizzie, how easy is it to do that? I thought it was super super hard? and that each year there are only like 4 places to do this for all the applicants?

lala2

Banned
HSC
Actually, not all that much, apparently. The $33k goes straight to the uni, so it's the cost of teaching the degree (pracs and all) plus probably (a little) profit. I was talking to a fourth year vet student, can't remember exact quotes cos this was like August last year or something, but she said normal high school teachers can earn more than them straight out of school!

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
lala2 said:
Actually, not all that much, apparently. The $33k goes straight to the uni, so it's the cost of teaching the degree (pracs and all) plus probably (a little) profit. I was talking to a fourth year vet student, can't remember exact quotes cos this was like August last year or something, but she said normal high school teachers can earn more than them straight out of school!
I would say considerably more than a little profit, this is how the uni keeps afloat through international students who are full fee and domestic full fee, the DFEE places are used to cover everything else that they don't get from CSP students who are really paying the cost prices set by the government in the subject contribution bands.

In the long run depending on the practice vets make more money esp if they own their own practice thus why you can't start earning heaps after graduating.

duck.fluff

Usyd BVSc II
HSC
In relation to having to write your previous vet commitments for CSU, you have to do the same for USYD in their Vet science commitment form. I was so keen on vet science aswell until i realised that yesterday and can in no way make up work experience and joined organisations by the 14th Nov with my HSC aswell.
I'm tossing up whether to apply for Animal and vet bioscience and hopefully get the transfer after a year - if not i'll be stuck in it which doesn't appeal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)