• Got a question on how to use our new website? Check out our user guide here!

Anyone wanna take a wild stab at the question for Harwood??? (1 Viewer)

B

bekmay

Guest
mathslover said:
okay but they dont have to be readings? u can just say "a bla bla perspective would be..." aye?
for me, readings=perspectives =] its the way someone sees something..
 

xtremedude

awesome member
Joined
Apr 16, 2008
Messages
52
Gender
Male
HSC
2008
do you think they'll ask us to refer to two poems or three? if it's three then i'm screwed.
 

mathslover

Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2008
Messages
358
Gender
Female
HSC
2008
xtremedude said:
do you think they'll ask us to refer to two poems or three? if it's three then i'm screwed.
could be either, theyve asked for three before.
 

mathslover

Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2008
Messages
358
Gender
Female
HSC
2008
dolbinau said:
My teacher, and the HSC advice line suggested they should be critical commentary or quotes that has influenced your personal response.

You can't just say "A marxist perspective would be _______" (or whatever reading you chose, I've never done this so I don't know). Read the marking guidelines :).
yup wat i meant was, you say your own response then say how other perspectives challenge ur response, or support it.
 

dolbinau

Active Member
Joined
Nov 14, 2006
Messages
1,336
Gender
Male
HSC
2008
xtremedude said:
do you think they'll ask us to refer to two poems or three? if it's three then i'm screwed.
I'd learn at least 3 quotes/techniques from a third poem.
 

mathslover

Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2008
Messages
358
Gender
Female
HSC
2008
dolbinau said:
I'd learn at least 3 quotes/techniques from a third poem.
shouldt we kinda know all of em in case the qn doesnt suit the poems we have prepared? meh whatever it is i have to use F&C.
btw the advce line told me we DONT have to know diff perspective, and our personal one could suffice :S depending on the Q.
im very confused right now :eek:
 

Kujah

Moderator
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
4,757
Gender
Undisclosed
HSC
N/A
I still think different readings are essential, but they should not form the main component of your essay. Your personal response is suppose to be the major part, with these readings incorporated to either support or refute your own interpretation, and to show that Harwood's works can be interepreted in different ways i.e. her poetry has strong textual integrity.
 

mathslover

Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2008
Messages
358
Gender
Female
HSC
2008
Kujah said:
I still think different readings are essential, but they should not form the main component of your essay. Your personal response is suppose to be the major part, with these readings incorporated to either support or refute your own interpretation, and to show that Harwood's works can be interepreted in different ways i.e. her poetry has strong textual integrity.
wonderful that makes sense :)
so it could even just be like a sentence or 2 to support/challenge what im saying, at the end of each para?
 

Kujah

Moderator
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
4,757
Gender
Undisclosed
HSC
N/A
Yep, thats what I've done. Your own personal views form the main component, and then you can say.... "Exploring a 20th century psychoanalytic reading, which emphasises the strong textual integrity of Harwood's poetry, it can be said that...."
 

dolbinau

Active Member
Joined
Nov 14, 2006
Messages
1,336
Gender
Male
HSC
2008
Well I actually don't do Harwood I do Yeats. And my critical commentary is actual quotes not 'readings' or anything from different time periods (see marking guidelines about applying readings to poetry: it is mentioned in harwood section too)

houldt we kinda know all of em in case the qn doesnt suit the poems we have prepared?
That would be ideal, but for people that have only learnt 2 there is a starting point hehe.
 

Kujah

Moderator
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
4,757
Gender
Undisclosed
HSC
N/A
Stronger responses analysed and evaluated texts in their entirety and were able to support their discussions with detailed reference to the prescribed texts. These interpretations had been refined and broadened through other perspectives and demonstrated either an explicit or implicit understanding of such perspectives. They often contextualised discussions, briefly drawing on the significant influences on composers and/or the social or historical circumstances which influence responses.

The informed personal response was crucial in addressing the terms of the question. Unfortunately, some responses still placed an inappropriate and undue emphasis on the mere descriptions of ‘readings’ which overshadowed a close analysis of the text.

While it was evident that a critical understanding of the text was informed by a range of perspectives, these responses were characterised by a clear personal voice, integrated analysis of the text and fluency and clarity of expression.

Where critical readings were used they were closely integrated with the candidate’s personal response to and analysis of the poetry. Superior responses evaluated readings as they were applied to the poetry.
 

mathslover

Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2008
Messages
358
Gender
Female
HSC
2008
Kujah said:
Stronger responses analysed and evaluated texts in their entirety and were able to support their discussions with detailed reference to the prescribed texts. These interpretations had been refined and broadened through other perspectives and demonstrated either an explicit or implicit understanding of such perspectives. They often contextualised discussions, briefly drawing on the significant influences on composers and/or the social or historical circumstances which influence responses.

The informed personal response was crucial in addressing the terms of the question. Unfortunately, some responses still placed an inappropriate and undue emphasis on the mere descriptions of ‘readings’ which overshadowed a close analysis of the text.

While it was evident that a critical understanding of the text was informed by a range of perspectives, these responses were characterised by a clear personal voice, integrated analysis of the text and fluency and clarity of expression.

Where critical readings were used they were closely integrated with the candidate’s personal response to and analysis of the poetry. Superior responses evaluated readings as they were applied to the poetry.
thanks:)

so r u ppl memorising what u know abt ur chosen poems, or do u just know them really well?

ive spent the whole of today on Harwood, havent done anything for Frontlien or Mod A:(
 

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
Joined
May 13, 2007
Messages
1,051
Gender
Male
HSC
2008
depends on the questions, probably prizgiving and either at mornington or the glass jar. Nightfall is ok to talk about as is the violets, i can just say i saw them from a feminist perspective....they wont know that im male :)

or though her allusions to the hole that is tasmania, as a result of an autobiblographical perspective
 
Last edited:

Jezzakar

Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2008
Messages
56
Gender
Female
HSC
2008
Prizegiving and alter ego are my favourites. I actually like them. Ill use those. My back up is The Violets which I really dont like but my teacher told me to use.
 

Adamman

New Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2007
Messages
5
Gender
Male
HSC
2008
Something that im trying to do is incorporate some of the interpretations in my themes. For example if im looking at At Mornington, i'd say that the main within the poem is growth within the persona, and it is through the religious interpretation of the poem that helps highlight this point through the persona being a parable *a bible story* of the pumpkin on its quest for enlightenment and her attempts to walk on water.

Anyway, my main idea is to wrap the universal theme of growth in with the varying interpretations. The interpretations i want to do are:

At Mornington: Religious, and psychoanalyitcal if needed (Electra complex and thanatophobia or the thanatos complex - fear of death)
Glass Jar - Psychoanalytical - Primal Scene/Oedipal

After that, if it asks for a third i'll chose either Marxist or Feminist for Prize Giving.
 

frogbutt

Ugliest Member
Joined
Jan 4, 2008
Messages
61
Gender
Female
HSC
2008
WE ONLY NEED TO KNOW TWO POEMS

they ask for OUR personal reception (and a variety of other receptions which we also can see). It is advised that we have 5 critics available to discuss where 1 should be in detail (in addition to the personal reception).

it is a question specifically about readings yet emphasises our own so I suggest everyone pretend that the poems mean something to them ;)
 

mathslover

Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2008
Messages
358
Gender
Female
HSC
2008
frogbutt said:
WE ONLY NEED TO KNOW TWO POEMS

they ask for OUR personal reception (and a variety of other receptions which we also can see). It is advised that we have 5 critics available to discuss where 1 should be in detail (in addition to the personal reception).

it is a question specifically about readings yet emphasises our own so I suggest everyone pretend that the poems mean something to them ;)
how do you know this?
or is just an inference?
 

patty4848

Member
Joined
Nov 12, 2006
Messages
214
Gender
Male
HSC
2000
frogbutt said:
WE ONLY NEED TO KNOW TWO POEMS

they ask for OUR personal reception (and a variety of other receptions which we also can see). It is advised that we have 5 critics available to discuss where 1 should be in detail (in addition to the personal reception).

it is a question specifically about readings yet emphasises our own so I suggest everyone pretend that the poems mean something to them ;)
in 2004/05 they asked for three though. they can ask you for two or three poems, and they technically CAN ask you to use specific poems (which would be sooo bad)...

tbh i agree that a context question may arise this year.. because in the last 3 years they have asked about emotions, themes and what makes it worthy of critical study, so i think that we may get a context question

what do you mean by 5 critics?
 

Muchi

Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2006
Messages
113
Gender
Female
HSC
2008
A context question would be pretty fine. Because one can interpret contexts as the reception of her poetry in different mileus. So like... a feminist reading corresponds to the reception of her poetry in a feminist context.
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top