Anyone work at KFC? (1 Viewer)

waysted

HSC
I just had a job interview and it went for almost an hour... then they said they'd call me for another interview... shit, it's KFC how qualified do you have to be?
Anyway, if anyone works there I'd appreciate it if you could tell me anything about how it is there, are they a good employer, how many hours do they give you, are they the same hours each week (they told me they only hire casuals - is that so they don't have to give you set hours?) do they make you work shit hours etc etc? Anything would be good. I don't want to end up working somewhere I hate again, so if anyone has any info...
Thanks

SL33pY

ceo of the banana factory
HSC
yep used to work there a while ago... so im not sure if much has changed since when i worked there....
the pay rate was shit, and i think you get a decreased pay (half rate) for 2 weeks for "training".
They also tend to give younger people more shifts besuase they get to pay them less than say a year 12 or uni student. (i overheard a regional manager telling this to our store managers)...

i guess kfc is an alright starting job, although i would look at maccas becuase they pay alot more.. a friend of mine used to work at maccas and was getting 2 whole dollars per hour more than me in his 1st month...whereas i was at kfc for like a year.. ><

from my experience at kfc i would steer clear...unless your really desperate for a job...

hope this helps

waysted

HSC
Thanks heaps for that :)

Yeah I've already got a job at k-mart but they seem to do what you said KFC do and give the younger people heaps more shifts than me (15 year olds get 5 shifts a week, I get 2, it's pretty fucked that they can do that hey). I worked at Macca's a year or so ago and got $6.60 an hour (I was 16). Needless to say that didn't last long.

They were telling me in the interview that I had to close up at least one night a week - did you have to do that? That's like 11 or 12 at night that I'd finish. Seems a bit shit to me, no-one's going to pick me up at midnight!!

SL33pY

HSC
yea,, i did do the night shift a few times... we normally closed at 1130....it wasnt too much of a hassel for me becuase i was within walking distance of my house.. and the area i lived in was quite safe...
one perk of teh closing shift is that you get to take all the food that wasnt sold during the day! (although near to the end of my time at kfc the managers became really tightarsed and began throwing away food rather than letting us have it... fukers!)
which kfc are you applying for? are u in the north shore?

SL33pY

HSC
wait nvm your not even in sydney lol ;p

waysted

HSC
Haha yeah my area is neither safe nor within walking distance. They told me I'l have to do at least one night a week. Might tell them to get stuffed... although I really need money for a car.... hmmm.... why can't K-mart stop being assholes? Actually, I might call the union and dob them in coz I'm pretty sure giving younger people more shifts is discrimination...
Thanks for your help anyway:)

johony

HSC
For a 16 year old, anything under $9.50 a hour.

umop 3pisdn

Banned
HSC
KFC's dirty and cheap and shite, you don't want to work there when you're older than 14. Just talk to your manager @ Kmart and they'll probably give u more shifts. And just be awesome and try to learn more jobs, so they'll give you heaps of shifts. Worked for me.

ChrissyGirl2007

Vivimus Vivamus
HSC
ok well kfc might have a bad rep and it can be annoying but if your good with people and working in a team its fine. kfc is a franchise so they are all generally run the same but the thing is different stores have differents demands. e.g they have trouble finding people for close. My store has problems trying to find people to turn up for work. they try to get younger people but it doesnt work out.
i've been at kfc for nearly 2 years. i started off at age 15 working $6ph after my 3 months training my pay rose to $6.70. When i turned 16 i was working for $8.70ph and now as a 17 yr old i work for $10.50. It is a grossly messy job.. but if you have great workmates (like i do) it wont be so bad. well i told my kfc i cant do closes so i dont work anytime after 10 because i have trouble getting a lift home.
yeh anyways. if you have anymore questions just ask here or pm me.

waysted

HSC
ChrissyGirl2007 said:
ok well kfc might have a bad rep and it can be annoying but if your good with people and working in a team its fine. kfc is a franchise so they are all generally run the same but the thing is different stores have differents demands. e.g they have trouble finding people for close. My store has problems trying to find people to turn up for work. they try to get younger people but it doesnt work out.
i've been at kfc for nearly 2 years. i started off at age 15 working $6ph after my 3 months training my pay rose to $6.70. When i turned 16 i was working for $8.70ph and now as a 17 yr old i work for $10.50. It is a grossly messy job.. but if you have great workmates (like i do) it wont be so bad. well i told my kfc i cant do closes so i dont work anytime after 10 because i have trouble getting a lift home.
yeh anyways. if you have anymore questions just ask here or pm me.
Thanks 4 the info
Are you part time or casual? The guy told me they only hire casuals. I'm guessing thats so they can get away with giving you shit hours like k-mart?
If they're franchised does that mean the pay is different in every store? When I worked at maccas it was a franchise and they pay was shit - $6.60... and also, the guy that did my interview said it was a requirement that i do at least one close a week... argh.

umop 3pisdn said:
KFC's dirty and cheap and shite, you don't want to work there when you're older than 14. Just talk to your manager @ Kmart and they'll probably give u more shifts. And just be awesome and try to learn more jobs, so they'll give you heaps of shifts. Worked for me.
Lol your manager sounds cool. I talked to mine and said I need extra shifts coz I'm tryna save up to pay for school and books next year, not to mention $5000 for a car and she's started giving me more... but only 4 shifts instead of 2 a week. And they're all 3 hour shifts. And I'm thinking that it's probably only for christmas... I've also aked for shifts in other departments (I've worked on the registers and in leisure and apparel at the moment) but yeah I'm only getting shifts in apparel. I would say that I work harder than most other people but it doesn't seem to be getting me anywhere, the 15 year olds that don't do their job properly still get more shifts than me!! It's so annoying.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)