Anyone's Families Not Very Understanding? (1 Viewer)

DonnaLily

HSC
I'm the first one in the family to be going through the HSC [I'm the edlest of three, and my parents never did it]. and what I'm finding it there seems to be a lack of understanding what the HSC entitles for parents and siblings. I share a room with my sister, so there goes the idea of studying in there [mainly for the fact there is no room to sit anywhere and study!] so I retreat to the rumpus room where the table is. And what I'm finding is that my sister likes to play her music and my brother plays the PlayStation. While they don't have it blasting its loud enough to annoy and distract me.

I don't wanna leave the house to study, mainly for the fact I have way too many notes to lug with me to the other side of town to the library, so really I don't have much of an option but to put up with it.

Anyone else had a problem with this? That their parents or siblings don't seem to notice the extent of the HSC or the pressures placed on you for it?

One friend of mine [she lives in Victoria] when she did the VCE the schools held information evenings for parents to let them know about the upcoming stresses for their kids. Does anyone's schools in NSW do this? Or do you think that should be introduced into NSW schools?

Just a suggestion =]

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
Earplugs. Totally works for me and I find it keeps me focused for longer.

SamTan*06*

All alone in a memory! I was beautiful theeeen....
HSC
lol 'ear plugs'

yea..put them out of your mind. Study in ur back yard. Personly, I like to go to the Botanic gardens, but u said that you don't want to go anywhere.

But you really should talk to evryone and tell them what's goin on. They may be a little more respectful then. I'm kinda in the same boat as u, the first child to do HSC in the family. But my main problem is trying to get my mum to see that i understand how important stduying is, I also know that the stress will destroy me if I don't de-stress evry now and then.

Just think...all younger siblings go to school next week!

kerfuffle

HSC
*laughs* But that's only what, three to four days of silence.

Last edited:

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
lol
i have managed to put up with my over-energic 4 yrs old brother for about a yr

I have to babysit him everyday, & he basically sits at the same table as me every night, watching tom & jerry on my monitor while i study in front of it too. XD (or tries to anyway)

thank god it is almost over.

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
I know what you mean. I have four, sometimes five, children aged 4-11 in my house. I can't wait till I move out next year.

HSC
I am very much in the same boat as well. I have a younger sister and move between two houses one my dad has and one my mom has. My younger sister will continually want to chat to me and never allow me to use the computer for study as she belives I am "going on games". Where my mom tells me to come down stairs and sit with her and have some family time and watch tv and that i have studied to much. When neither has a concept of the workload i get and get loads of chores to do. Then i go across to my fathers house which is tiny and i share a room with my sister and the computer and there are 6 of us in the house.

The best thing I find to study is to just concentrate and sometimes I put my mp3 in my ears softly to drone out all their noise and once you get into studying you dont notice the music.

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
i use music too

its ironic thou, my parents complain music is distracting, but the noise in the family is so much worse. haha

HSC
I find it the same! HEH I think it's because you focus more when people are talking and you can't put it in the background.

*Ninny-mole*

The Power Is Yours...
HSC
I'm also finding that my family don't understand, but in a different way.
I haven't been able to get into study like I should, especially as the HSC begins next week, but for the most part, that is my own fault. However, last week, my 2 psychotic A.D.D nephews had to be babysat while my brother was at work. Mum was meant to be babysitting but was always out of the house and I would be left with them. Now I love them, but they are frigon annoying and I got NO STUDY done with them over. And because I didn't actually get anything done, my parents and siblings thought I was just slacking off. But I wasn't. I was really trying my hardest to study with everything going on around me, and all my family can do is make jokes that I'm not doing it. I know that is a stupid thing to get angry over, but it pisses me off how they don't see that I am really freaking out over this.
I am also the first kid to do the HSC and I hate it. For some reason, I have this huge weight of expectation. They expect me to get band 5's and 6's (even though I have told them there is no chance) and think my UAI will be good. Then, they also expect me to go to uni despite the fact I have told them repeatedly I don't want to. So they try and put the guilt trip on me by saying "it would be such a waste for her to work at coles for the rest of her life". Neither of my brothers did either Year 11 or 12, (one of them got kicked out before he even did the SC), and they were the biggest shitheads ever, but I'm expected to be perfect. Aaaarrrggghhh, sometimes they shit me off. Okay, rant over.

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
haha! on the topic of "expectations"

all (yes all) the kids my parents know are 99+ers, they are either docs or laywer or dentists or opm. =@ guess i will be the first to break that trend, seeing i was the first non-selective kid too. XD

so to them, a uai of 99 comes just like that..haha

HSC
Thats not very fair upon either of you for our parents to have expectations like that. My parents have it with me as I have gotten highest academic achievement in year 6 for the year and year 10 and now they think I am a genius and if I dont do well in one part of one subjects they hound about it. Although my mom cant even find out the area of something and my dad cant even spell. My sister isnt very good at school work and so they are kind to her even if she gets average bu for me its not good enough even in a subject im not good at.

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
lol

i guess its because they want us to be "successful", except it will take a while for them to realise that uai doesnt affect our whole life *THAT* much

DonnaLily

HSC
*Ninny-mole* said:
I'm also finding that my family don't understand, but in a different way.
I haven't been able to get into study like I should, especially as the HSC begins next week, but for the most part, that is my own fault. However, last week, my 2 psychotic A.D.D nephews had to be babysat while my brother was at work. Mum was meant to be babysitting but was always out of the house and I would be left with them. Now I love them, but they are frigon annoying and I got NO STUDY done with them over. And because I didn't actually get anything done, my parents and siblings thought I was just slacking off. But I wasn't. I was really trying my hardest to study with everything going on around me, and all my family can do is make jokes that I'm not doing it. I know that is a stupid thing to get angry over, but it pisses me off how they don't see that I am really freaking out over this.
I am also the first kid to do the HSC and I hate it. For some reason, I have this huge weight of expectation. They expect me to get band 5's and 6's (even though I have told them there is no chance) and think my UAI will be good. Then, they also expect me to go to uni despite the fact I have told them repeatedly I don't want to. So they try and put the guilt trip on me by saying "it would be such a waste for her to work at coles for the rest of her life". Neither of my brothers did either Year 11 or 12, (one of them got kicked out before he even did the SC), and they were the biggest shitheads ever, but I'm expected to be perfect. Aaaarrrggghhh, sometimes they shit me off. Okay, rant over.
Gosh I hear ya. More refering to the last paragraph but yeah I'm definately also feeling this great weight of expectation to do well. What doesn't help is that I feel kinda pressured and if I don't do well I'll just 'end up working at coles for the rest of my life'. Though I do wanna go to uni [unlike yourself] but I think parents and siblings should allow us to study and when it's all over, go nuts with whatever. Don't apply the pressure too soon. That's my thoughts anyways.

Thanks for all the replies everyone

HSC
mitsui said:
lol

i guess its because they want us to be "successful", except it will take a while for them to realise that uai doesnt affect our whole life *THAT* much
I get myself stressed enough as it is about my uai. Although i thik the main thing is that my parents have no conecpt how much wok is needed to be put in it to get a uai of 80% plus. Its like it just grows from thing air and is easy.

HSC
agentcheeseball said:
Thats not very fair upon either of you for our parents to have expectations like that. My parents have it with me as I have gotten highest academic achievement in year 6 for the year and year 10 and now they think I am a genius and if I dont do well in one part of one subjects they hound about it. Although my mom cant even find out the area of something and my dad cant even spell. My sister isnt very good at school work and so they are kind to her even if she gets average bu for me its not good enough even in a subject im not good at.
That sucks...in fact, that's pretty much me. My parents have told me many times that they were big slackers as kids and basically crashed and burned in yr12, my sister alreayd did year 12 and she...well she's not very good at adding up, or spelling, which doesn't help...also I was like a little protege up until high school, high distinctions every year, singing at assembly (wow is that a humiliating memory come to think of it:) ...although my voice 'broke' in a sense, so I'm crap now), bloody rocking at everything. I even did pretty bloody good in the SC...so I'm supposed to be a genius. But Im not. I suck at year 12...so yeah I know what you mean. Ah well, just do the best you can, don't worry about your parents.

darkroomgirl

HSC
Hmmm... I was lucky in that my entire family (which is fairly big) was usually gone during the day, so I had a lot of peace and quiet. I'm from a family of achievers, so they were all very understanding and helpful.

I guess you'll really have to give them a talk about that... explain that you really want to prioritise your HSC, and that any help from them would be much appreciated. I dunno how well your parents might listen, but it's worth a shot.

iwannarock

HSC
you're gonna have to learn to block it out.

there is loud music/tv playing 24/7 in my house. in year 12 it was really bad and it still is now.

my whole family is full of wacky characters. someone is always awake in this household because everyone is on different sleeping patterns making it really hard to study and write assignments sometimes. headphones is good but then can get hard to study with music blocking out other noise sometimes.

my mum is the main instigator of noise..............playing her loud "rap" music with the hippin and the hoppin.

i swear if i hear 50cent.......the game......or any fucking john legend song again im gonna go nuts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)