AOS creative writing (1 Viewer)

emma_halina

HSC
my teacher said to 'explode a moment', it's harder than it seems. any tips?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Do you mean 'explore'? Can you give us more context about whether you are given any particular stimulus or question to respond to?

emma_halina

HSC
there is no question (as of yet) i have to had a basis a belonging short story then mold it around my question in my half yearly exam.

my teacher said to 'explode a moment' in detail rather than drag out the story of someones life as i believe i only have 40 mins in my exam.

buriza

conviction
HSC
Funnily enough, I received the same advice from my own teacher. Basically, what your teacher is suggesting is to start your story in media res which means in the midst of things. Since you do only have 40 minutes, try to get into the action as soon as possible. Some examples are writing about someone walking to meet their estranged parent, flying on a plane to a new country or a car crash (though this may be unnecessarily dramatic).

As you can see, most of the events are fairly simple and occur over a small span of time. Simplicity is usually better, due to the fact you can get to the heart of your story, so to say, more effectively. For instance, if you were to write about someone walking to meet their estranged parent, you could embody the notion of belonging rather easily and clearly. Hence, not only pick a temporary event, but one linked to belonging.

emma_halina

HSC
Funnily enough, I received the same advice from my own teacher. Basically, what your teacher is suggesting is to start your story in media res which means in the midst of things. Since you do only have 40 minutes, try to get into the action as soon as possible. Some examples are writing about someone walking to meet their estranged parent, flying on a plane to a new country or a car crash (though this may be unnecessarily dramatic).

As you can see, most of the events are fairly simple and occur over a small span of time. Simplicity is usually better, due to the fact you can get to the heart of your story, so to say, more effectively. For instance, if you were to write about someone walking to meet their estranged parent, you could embody the notion of belonging rather easily and clearly. Hence, not only pick a temporary event, but one linked to belonging.
thank you, that was helpful. i just have to keep in mind that my question may be aimed toward belonging to 'place' or 'people'. so ill keep it flexible :)

imogenhubber

HSC
My creative is exactly that, the "exploded moment" style; makes it easily adaptable in imagery/character etc., however, the teacher who marked it for trials said it was too plot-poor, making it a bit unsatisfying/anticlimactic. Very frustrating - don't know whether I should overhaul the entire thing before Paper I and try to think up some fancier plot twists at risk of making it less flexible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)