AOS essay (1 Viewer)

AnandDNA

HSC
Hey,

sorry if someone's answered a similar question to this, but im still confused about how a good structure of an AOS should be. I'm not sure if we talk about specific issues or scenes that portray belonging or not belonging in my texts.

Our holiday homework is to do this essay

'The need to belong marks us as human and it is such connections that lead to fullfillment'.

To what extent do you agree with this statement after having studied the concept of belonging?

In your answer refer to your prescribed text and at least Two texts of your choosing

my prescribed text is romulus, my father. So any ideas or an outline of what i should include will be much appreciated :eek:

bored of sc

HSC
There's no set criteria with regards to exactly what you should put in.

But some of the generalised features I use are:
- Strong introduction clearly addressing the question, establishing your view/thesis and previewing the arguments/texts.
- Concept-driven paragraphs. One sub-thesis idea per paragraph. Techniques. Techniques. Techniques.
- Conclude by summarising and reaching some form of cadence.

In a nutshell,

1. Tell them what you are going to tell them (intro).
2. Tell them (body paragraphs).
3. Tell them what you told them (conclusion).

bored of sc

HSC
AnandDNA said:
I'm not sure if we talk about specific issues or scenes that portray belonging or not belonging in my texts.
Try to cover both (the scenes/textual examples and issues/themes). The scenes should have the issues imbedded within them. E.g. a violent fight between two different cultures has the issues of physical destruction, racism, superiority, masculinity imbedded within it. <--- Not the best example.

Don't forget techniques.

-tal-

HSC
AnandDNA said:
Hey,

sorry if someone's answered a similar question to this, but im still confused about how a good structure of an AOS should be. I'm not sure if we talk about specific issues or scenes that portray belonging or not belonging in my texts.
So any ideas or an outline of what i should include will be much appreciated :eek:
Include techniques and arguments that work with all your texts. As for belonging or not, it depends on what you think (in regards to the essay question). Like with your homework "The need to belong marks us as human and it is such connections that lead to fullfillment" you can choose to argue that you can remain human and still not belong or that belonging defines who you are.

You talk about scenes and what they show then the implication of it. Relate to thesis.

Just do whatever you have to do to get your point across.

AnandDNA

HSC
Thanks for the replies they've been very helpful :)

Can a mod pls move this thread to the discussion on 2009 hsc pls. i'll probably get more replies there Thanks
:)

adidasyeah

HSC
It's also good for you to compare and contrast your 3 texts through ideas, techniques, examples and effects. This shows the marker that you have considered the question and tried to come up with a justified answer.

Its good to evaluate whether the texts agree or disagree to your stimulus throughout the body (at the end of each paragraph after the effect), it's easy to do this by saying something along the lines of... 'text 1 was good, but text 2 was better in showing...'

jennieTalia

HSC
AnandDNA said:
Hey,

Our holiday homework is to do this essay

'The need to belong marks us as human and it is such connections that lead to fullfillment'.

To what extent do you agree with this statement after having studied the concept of belonging?

In your answer refer to your prescribed text and at least Two texts of your choosing

my prescribed text is romulus, my father. So any ideas or an outline of what i should include will be much appreciated :eek:
Make the decision first!
I just want to discuss that question-
This is MY OWN opinion. If anyone disagrees that is their right, and it would be interesting to get a debate going.

I do not think that the need to belong "marks" us as human.
Animals also have a "need" to belong. We more commonly refer to animals in flocks, shoals, herds, gaggles etc than we do to people. Animals are hardly ever referred to as feeling "overcrowded". Many animals are pack animals and are more connected them humans will ever be. Humans are NOT the only living being to mate for life either.
However is belonging an INSTINCT for people? Is it a "need". Or do we choose it as a luxury. Can we give it up, or do we always belong in someway or another? Can we live alone on an island with no one else, or up in a space station, and still feel as though we belong? Or does that count as not belonging?
We can indeed belong without being fulfilled. But can we actually NOT belong? Can belonging bring more resentment and anguish then fulfilment?
However, this isn't relating to your text I am just discussing the question so you can attack it broadly.

-tal-

HSC
jennieTalia said:
I do not think that the need to belong "marks" us as human.
Animals also have a "need" to belong. We more commonly refer to animals in flocks, shoals, herds, gaggles etc than we do to people. Animals are hardly ever referred to as feeling "overcrowded". Many animals are pack animals and are more connected them humans will ever be. Humans are NOT the only living being to mate for life either.
That's because we named them flocks and herds for our own convenience. Did the animals choose to be referred to by these googly eyed funny looking things who walk on 2 legs as flocks and herds? No, they didn't.

Animals are hardly ever referred to as feeling "overcrowded"

Really? Feeling overcrowded? How would you know they're not feeling overcrowded, you're human. They're not.

There are far too many assumptions in this for my liking.

jennieTalia

HSC
-tal- said:
That's because we named them flocks and herds for our own convenience. Did the animals choose to be referred to by these googly eyed funny looking things who walk on 2 legs as flocks and herds? No, they didn't.

Animals are hardly ever referred to as feeling "overcrowded"

Really? Feeling overcrowded? How would you know they're not feeling overcrowded, you're human. They're not.

There are far too many assumptions in this for my liking.
I didn't say they never FEEL overcrowded.
I said they are never REFERRED to as being overcrowded in nature.
Please read before critiquing.

I am talking about perception. Of course they never CHOSE the word, that is just ridiculous. But the point is, most birds fly in flocks by nature, most animals will group together for protection. Many will hunt in packs.
Nature suggests that animals are often better in a group.
Nature once dictated that humans survive better as a communal group. Have we now parted from that?

This is only a discussion people, no need to get bitchy :).

-tal-

HSC
jennieTalia said:

I am talking about perception.
Of course they never CHOSE the word, that is just ridiculous. But the point is, most birds fly in flocks by nature, most animals will group together for protection. Many will hunt in packs.
Nature suggests that animals are often better in a group.

This is only a discussion people, no need to get bitchy :).
Ah yes, perception. That is, your perception, and since perception is not truth, I still think the argument is flawed.

Only a discussion? What a shame, here I was under the impression I was about to have a lovely debate. And an interesting one at that too.

jennieTalia

HSC
-tal- said:
Ah yes, perception. That is, your perception, and since perception is not truth, I still think the argument is flawed.

Only a discussion? What a shame, here I was under the impression I was about to have a lovely debate. And an interesting one at that too.
What is truth? Descartes, being my favourite philosopher, brought up the interesting point that we cannot trust anything other than our own thoughts, as all the senses can be tricked.
I think an argument is never flawed. Flaws suggest that something is wrong with it, that there are errors in its structure... but as long as there is ROOM for discussion, there are never any concrete facts. It is therefore neither here nor there whether it is a "flawed" argument or not if one can see some sort of truth in it either way.
Opinion is perception.
As I did state before, this is MY opinion, feel free not to share it.

Good day.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)