• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

apart from medicine (1 Viewer)

Waldo

Hiding Somewhere
HSC
BUMPBIDIBUMP

Okay now that the UMAT is over, for all those who feel like they didnt go so well (e.g. me) what do u have planned apart from med?

I personally am going to keep trying... :)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Yes it's all well and good to "keep trying", but while you continue to try what will you do? I strongly discourage you from just deferring while "studying for UMAT".

Waldo

Hiding Somewhere
HSC
oh no no i'm not going to defer for just umat

I'm planning to do a degree (most prob a sci) in the mean time as well. ^^

petar13

Tanzkommandant
HSC
N/A
I strongly discourage you from just deferring while "studying for UMAT".
Hmm - if you have your heart set on medicine, and your UAI/TER/ENTER is high enough, why would you want to be raking in the HECS fees for a course that you know you won't be continuing?

shafqat

HSC
N/A
Doing a uni degree is better, but you can always take a year off to travel/work. I think Lexi was saying its better to do something during the year than do nothing and solely study for UMAT. It'll keep you focused, and plus there's the chance you may miss out again, and so you can try for graduate med.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
petar13 said:
Hmm - if you have your heart set on medicine, and your UAI/TER/ENTER is high enough, why would you want to be raking in the HECS fees for a course that you know you won't be continuing?
That's the thing - you don't. Sure you would LIKE to think that getting in after a year is a sure thing, but I was one of the insanely lucky few that actually pull it off. Most people who don't make it the first time around (year 12) will NOT make it the next year - there are just too few NRSL places to go around.

I don't even deserve my place, compared to those other hardcore people who make it in second time. Then again, I did have Divine Grace on my side (I mean that very sincerely).

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Firstly, to everyone who is has said "post grad med" click here.

Secondly, I would say go to uni and do something else you enjoy. Don't even THINK about how this course can in some way be related to medicine - chances are it will be anyway, but this should NOT be of your concern when picking a course. Then, try again and see where you get. If your major stumbling block was (like mine) the UAI your options are limited - but not eliminated.

Honestly, if you didn't get it right the first time you are (most likely) NOT going to pull a significantly better UAI the second time around. Pathways is for people who were unable to commit fully to school for reasons like major illness, sporting/performance careers or major life events (like death) - not medical hopefuls who want to scrape that extra 0.20 UAI rank.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Well ok I'll put it another way. If you think that you could have done a lot better during year 12 but for one big thing (or lots of little but significant things) then talk to your counsellor and see what they think. But if your ONLY reason for repeating year 12 is to have another shot at medicine without losing eligibility at Monash/Adelaide...then don't bother.

Your problem might be the UMAT - in which case you'd already have a UAI more than good enough to get through, but can't secure an interview. In this situation you would be reluctant to start uni since you might not do as well, and your uni marks would count against your academic criterion. In this situation I would suggest simply taking a less than full load (ie three subjects instead of the standard four). This way you still study "full time" (according to Centrelink and CityRail at least) yet do not achieve a full academic year. If you don't have a transcript for a full academic year the universities only look at your UAI. ;)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Nope, I got the full range.

Semester 1

P...50
P...54
C...65
D...80

Semester 2

C...73
C...74
D...75
H...86

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Yes, and not my UAI.

Also, in WA universities the cutoffs for academic awards are five points lower for C, D and HD (so 60, 70 and 80). This helped me a bit too, since suddenly I had two Ps, one C, three Ds and two HDs.

hsoy711

HSC
Do science

Hi, i was on the old ausmedstudent website, until dallas was crap.

Anyhoo, my tip is that people who didn't get in should doo straight science if they have any ability in that area. I did, and got in (UNSW). Higher marks are easier to get, I got all HDs last year and barely passed my exam this year hehehe.

In science they try to give you marks, they want you to do well.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
He's certainly right about science trying to give you marks. They REALLY want you to get through, even in Physics. That 50 I got in Physics was my lecturer showing mercy. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)