Appeal to Remark an Exam...Possible? (1 Viewer)

scarletD

sweet child
HSC
I know this probably sounds grotesque, but here's the story. My english extension2 major work has been granted a humiliating low mark, which is highly unusual according to my past performance, school assessment mark (48/50) and teachers' comments etc. I don't really need it to improve my UAI--i got enough from my other 10 units--but it's just so indignant because ext2 is the sub that i put in the most effort, faith and talent if it's possible.
Anyways, too much for the story. Question: is it possible to appeal to BOS to remark my major work? If so, how do i appeal? Would my teacher be able to help? Any rational help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you^^

HSC
N/A
From what I know, unfortunately they won't. :(

From most of the EE2 people I've talked to, their exam marks are much lower than their school marks (and this includes my own major work, which I got an exam mark of 35 for). I guess that it's just really, really subjective. If they don't "get" your work, then you get a low mark, regardless of how hard you worked for it. It's a pain in the butt, but it's reality - subjectivity affects all of the arts, perhaps even more predominantly in the professional and pre-professional level industry.

I'm glad your other units pulled you through, I only had ten units! But oh well, I still got high enough to get into my courses. I'm happy. :)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
You personally cannot request a remark of your major work - you can only check that the mark that was awarded has been recorded correctly and so on.

If you wish to appeal the mark itself, you will need to ask your Principal to speak to the Board.

neil_dl2

scarletD said:
I know this probably sounds grotesque, but here's the story. My english extension2 major work has been granted a humiliating low mark, which is highly unusual according to my past performance, school assessment mark (48/50) and teachers' comments etc. I don't really need it to improve my UAI--i got enough from my other 10 units--but it's just so indignant because ext2 is the sub that i put in the most effort, faith and talent if it's possible.
Anyways, too much for the story. Question: is it possible to appeal to BOS to remark my major work? If so, how do i appeal? Would my teacher be able to help? Any rational help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you^^
me too, since the assessment mark for the thrre sciences listed in the BOS is much lower than that of what my teacher sent there i dont know if they scaled or what there is a 14-15 mark difference.

callisto

has called it a day
HSC
yeah that happened to me too. When I added my assessment marks up at school I came up with 45/50, but the assessment mark reported was 43/50. BUT the big problem was that my exam mark was only 39/50!! I almost burst into tears, I had spent soooo much time and put loads of effort into it, plus all my english teachers LOVED it and thought I would do really well.

so WHY was the exam mark so low?? what went wrong?? cause it's really hurt my UAI... :( :(
is it possible to appeal? I don't understand why I got such a bad mark. I've read some shocking 48/50 and 49/50 MWs over the years

tennille

HSC
callisto said:
yeah that happened to me too. When I added my assessment marks up at school I came up with 45/50, but the assessment mark reported was 43/50. BUT the big problem was that my exam mark was only 39/50!! I almost burst into tears, I had spent soooo much time and put loads of effort into it, plus all my english teachers LOVED it and thought I would do really well.

so WHY was the exam mark so low?? what went wrong?? cause it's really hurt my UAI... :( :(
is it possible to appeal? I don't understand why I got such a bad mark. I've read some shocking 48/50 and 49/50 MWs over the years
I know someone in your position and they're getting it rechecked. Ring up the BoS and ask.

ReebaG

Marking shenanigans

I got 50- & I cannot BELIEVE it. I did the reflection statement the night before! Those wacky markers with their marking shenanigans! I love them! :eek:

:: dreami ::

Diamond BOS'er
HSC
i dont think the people in this thread appreciate your bragging

ReebaG said:
I got 50- & I cannot BELIEVE it. I did the reflection statement the night before! Those wacky markers with their marking shenanigans! I love them! :eek:

tennille

HSC
ReebaG said:
Wrong thread. This thread is for appeals for those who didn't do as well.

Acid

HSC
So glad I didn't do ext 2 now - had a feeling something like that was gonna happen. Maybe they have really specific marking criteria...

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
For Extension Music in 2002, my Assessment mark and my Exam mark differed by 8 points. I got an assessment mark of 46, an exam mark of 38, and a final score of 42.

135ttree

Fuck the Board

A similar thing happened to me as well - for ext.1 english, my internal mark was 47/50 but my HSC raw mark was 31/50! Argh! Thats a whopping 16 mark difference! So I ended up with 39/50 for my overall mark!!! Not happy.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
135ttree said:
A similar thing happened to me as well - for ext.1 english, my internal mark was 47/50 but my HSC raw mark was 31/50! Argh! Thats a whopping 16 mark difference! So I ended up with 39/50 for my overall mark!!! Not happy.
By internal mark do you mean the actual mark that you got in your school assesment? If so then there probably isnt a problem since internal marks are moderated based on your ranks and schools performance

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
135ttree said:
my 47/50 was titled Assessment mark and my 31/50 was titled as HSC mark
That just means you stuffed up in the exam. Extension 2 is a whole different kettle of fish as it is a major work.

135ttree

Ext. 1 english , like Ext.2 is still marked by individual markers who could easily make mistakes, as in making a 16 mark mistake!

callisto

has called it a day
HSC
Is it actually possible for the markers to make a mistake, and assign you the wrong mark? I know that it's probably highly unlikely, but it's not impossible.

Does anyone know if this has happened before? cause it could explain lower than expected marks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)