appeals (1 Viewer)

HSC
i just tanked an important assignment i thought i'd done well in - i didn't approach it i guess how they wanted, but i think my interpretation of the question was valid and that it was worth more than i got for it

does anyone know anything about the appeals process - ie how it works, is it fair/worth it or whatever?
thanks

Kegs

HSC
There has been so much said already on this inb other places I have been, that I cant help but cut and paste. On second thoughts, after reading over this thread, I have just attached it. The people involved in this discussion know their shit, and may be familiar to some of you BOS'ers already.

http://www.clubmac.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=149

X

xeuyrawp

pwaryuex on Club Mac said:
Therefore, I maintain that, unless you're clearly going to get a better mark, don't complain.
Cynical. :rolleyes: :p

I'm in the process of appealing something at the moment, actually. :eek:

Kegs

HSC
Appealing is good. I appealed my fail, and got upgraded to a P, as it was a mistake by the marker. They had failed to mark part of my assignment. It is worthwhile, me thinks. Hope the link was handy. Good luck Pwar, you freakin deserve a better mark. Just go postal, I give lessons on Wednesday and Friday afternoons.

X

xeuyrawp

Kegs said:
Appealing is good. I appealed my fail, and got upgraded to a P, as it was a mistake by the marker. They had failed to mark part of my assignment. It is worthwhile, me thinks. Hope the link was handy. Good luck Pwar, you freakin deserve a better mark. Just go postal, I give lessons on Wednesday and Friday afternoons.
I suppose it depends on the situation...

Anyway, I am totally going to go nuts about this mark. I've re-read over the question, the article which the question refers to, my essay, and the essay plan to which my tutor agreed.

Edit: Moral to the story: Don't do hard questions, sell out and do the easy ones which have obvious answers. :rolleyes: [/more cynicism]

Last edited by a moderator:
HSC
N/A
Oi!

I pick the easy questions with the fun/easy answers all the time! :p

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Hugs darling :(

I dont know whether every dept. has the same process, but when I appealed a psych paper I had to:

1. Talk to the marker, and ask their opinion. In my case, she acknowledged that she was a bit over-the-top with her marking.

2. You have to fill in a little sheet (I think its pink) which says why you are appealing the mark - and it cant be "I think I should have gotten better". It has to be technical, objective reasons. The marker also has to put in their $0.02 to say whether or not they agree as to whether you should have a remark (therefore, it helps A LOT if they agree that it should have a remark).

3. The application is sent - along with a blank exact copy of your paper - to the head of division, who will either allow the appeal or reject it. It is then up to the course co-ordinator to decide whether they also agree.

4. If all goes to plan, they will remark it, and will give you a higher mark.

NB: v.v. important: all appeals must be processed (ie. given to the head of division) before the final exam. So, you have effectively two weeks in which to get together with the marker, and do it from there. It is doable, I did it with 2 days before the exam. But, it also depends on who marked it. If Sandy marked it, she is only on campus on Mondays (but I dont know whether this will still be the case after next week). Dont know about Shayne or that other girl. Have you got the hard copy? If they arent on campus, email Cameron.

Its a sucky process, but you generally tend to get marked up. But the mark you eventually receive will be an average between the two (ie. you get a P, and then a D, you will end up with a C).

Good Luck :) xoxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxooxoxoxooxoxoxoxoxooxoxooxox

X

xeuyrawp

MaryJane said:
NB: v.v. important: all appeals must be processed (ie. given to the head of division) before the final exam.
That's really not going to be good in my situation... I've got my final exam on Tuesday, and my tutor's giving my essay back on Friday.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)