Appeasement/What is History (1 Viewer)

Dave2007

HSC
Our Extension class is doing Appeasement as the case study, and the general "What is history" topic at the moment.

Is anyone else doing this case study?

If so, I'd like to talk someone who has good notes on this (or the general what is history stuff) that the could share, or at least some itneresting discussion points etc...

hitachi88

HSC
An interesting thing to consider when doing appeasement is the SOCIAL BACKGROUND and political context of the Munich appeasement.

I see too many students arguing 'the Allies were cowards, lacked initiative and thus weakened and exposed themselves to the impending Nazi tide.'

Yes, they did lack initiative; but theres two very important reasons for it.

Firstly,
The end of World War I unified the Allies in the belief that they, infact did not wish to fight or even prepare for another war. Chamberlain's policy of appeasement thus not only reflected the mood of the British political structure, but also of the general opinion of the British and other European factions (including Germany). The start of WWI was met with wild enthusiasm fuelled by nationalism and militarism; the start of WWII in all countries (including Germany) was met with a stony cold silence. Chamberlain would have been indeed unpopular had he chose to engage in war with Germany in '33 when everyone, including the upper class AND middle class British hated the idea of another conflict in their lifetime.

Secondly, appeasement can be viewed within the political context of the Washington System of diplomacy as exemplified by the League of Nations, whereas diplomatic channels and compromise was seen as the halmark of civil progress. Whilst most people viewed League of Nations as something of a farce, nevertheless the movement had a very strong support in the early years. It can be interpreted that the Allies, exemplified by the Munich Agreement, attempte to appease Hitler's actions as an extension of this Washington System. Appeasement can be viewed as a use compromise and attempt to reach an agreement through diplomatic means, rather than simply political cowardice and escapism.

Dave2007

HSC
Thanks, hitachi.

We haven't really done too much on appeasement yet so im not a total expert, but its much appreciated.

And yes the textbook we're using does seem to be fairly harsh on the Europeans for not "letting" war start before things grew out of control...I personally feel it was inevitable for a country like nazi germany to go to war. And i think if you did argue the simple line you mentioned at the start it probably would get you very low marks... While if you mention some historiography and the fact that hindsight is a great thing, especially for historians whove just lived through the horros of ww2 and looked for someone to blame, you might do a bit better.

Also im not too sure about your point on the league of nations, willl have to look into it....and yeah munich appeasement might make a good case study.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)