• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Application for Postgrad Diploma of Psychology at UWS (1 Viewer)

h4n53n11

HSC
N/A
I'm not getting any info at all. I spoke to this guy today who said AAPA was doing the admissions... then he told me they werent and the psych department was but admissions is extremely strict this year and they are enforcing the 5.0 GPA rule heavily.

The only issue is I got a GPA of 4.5 and my friend got in the course last year with a GPA of 4.0... help please!!! I'ma lose it soon!

h4n53n11

HSC
N/A
I should also mention that in previous years, people with 4.0 and 4.2 GPAs got in, some people at UWS say its worth applying and I might get in. Whilst the AAPA dude said that they were becoming strict this year and enforcing the crap out of 5.0 GPA.

If you applied or applied a few years ago and got in please contribute. I've paced a walking trail into my carpet.

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
I haven't applied myself (just finished second year of undergrad), but I have heard of people getting in with a 4.x GPA in previous years. It's worth a try! Are you able to take more undergrad subjects to boost your GPA if you don't make it in, or have you graduated? Good luck regardless :)

h4n53n11

HSC
N/A
same here, thanks for replying. Maybe the guy I spoke to was a UWS advocate reading off the sheet they gave him. Thanks for your advice. I am pretty sure I am safe as most friends say the guy is reading off the sheet to make UWS sound better than it is.

Has anyone else applied?

I can also take a bridger for P Dip Psych

isjongood

HSC
I heard from some of the psych staff that last year some clerical error led to too many honors acceptances, hence there were less b psych students doing the postgrad dip which would explain the low entrance gpa. This year because so many of the honors students let in did badly they are apparently enforcing a quota of 30 25 students in honors, therefore more b psych students will be doing the postgrad dip and I would imagine the entrance gpa would also go up.

I wouldn't give up hope in your case however, I'm not sure about the postgrad dip but for the honors they are using your average mark not your gpa with the cut off at 65 (in the case of honors it is supposedly 75+ this year) so you might be over the cutoff if you had a lot of almost credit/distinction marks.

Last edited:

h4n53n11

HSC
N/A
thanks for that, if that were the case I might just cut it as I got 64... hopefully they will let me in as I tried real hard but usyd scaling doesnt help.

I was told in previous year 4.0 - 4.5 GPAs got in easy so hope this is the case this year.

Anyone else wanna chuck in some info?

h4n53n11

HSC
N/A
Just did some math... my average is low 63 to 64....
I think I might have a good chance

ANy other course suggestions?

isjongood

HSC
Just did some math... my average is low 63 to 64....
I think I might have a good chance

ANy other course suggestions?
hmm thats very close, you might just scrape in, other course suggestions? Well I'm not sure if you can do any additional units to bump up your mark (anyone else know?), other than that I don't think theres much you can do without honours or postgrad dip.

h4n53n11

HSC
N/A
yeah hopefully, thanks buddy. I'd be pissed if I missed out by one or two marks.... I know that I could graduate diploma at UWS and I should be offered P Dip or bridger for P Dip for Scu.. and CSU told me I could do a few non award psych to boost the marks.

Any other ideas?

h4n53n11

HSC
N/A
I called in to UWS today and someone told me, some offers for this course were released last week.
Is this true?
Also I looked through some of the yearbooks for this course and it all seems quite shady.
In earlier years it was "you must have completed a 3 year APAC accredited course of study"
3 years ago it was "it is preferred you have a GPA of 5.0"
1 year ago it was "you must have a minimum of 5.0 GPA"
seems like the course cutoff jumped at least an equivalent of 20 UAI points in 5 years. Seems a bit bizarre, but they said to me "The course has greater demand each year and necessary changes need to be made." So why did my friend with a GPA of 3.9 get into this last year and I havn't been offered?
If anyone knows please help, and if you want to speculate please let me know too, thanks.

isjongood

HSC
I called in to UWS today and someone told me, some offers for this course were released last week.
Is this true?
Also I looked through some of the yearbooks for this course and it all seems quite shady.
In earlier years it was "you must have completed a 3 year APAC accredited course of study"
3 years ago it was "it is preferred you have a GPA of 5.0"
1 year ago it was "you must have a minimum of 5.0 GPA"
seems like the course cutoff jumped at least an equivalent of 20 UAI points in 5 years. Seems a bit bizarre, but they said to me "The course has greater demand each year and necessary changes need to be made." So why did my friend with a GPA of 3.9 get into this last year and I havn't been offered?
If anyone knows please help, and if you want to speculate please let me know too, thanks.
I refer you to my previous post:

"I heard from some of the psych staff that last year some clerical error led to too many honors acceptances, hence there were less b psych students doing the postgrad dip which would explain the low entrance gpa. This year because so many of the honors students let in did badly they are apparently enforcing a quota of 30 25 students in honors, therefore more b psych students will be doing the postgrad dip and I would imagine the entrance gpa would go up."

Don't give up hope just yet, there might still be a second round offer if your lucky....

Last edited:

h4n53n11

HSC
N/A
Thanks for your reply,

So you're saying first round is out?
=-(

isjongood

HSC
Thanks for your reply,

So you're saying first round is out?
=-(
I know the honours offers are out for the b psych's. However I also know that the honours offers for those not in b psych's have not come out yet, so I'm guessing not all the offers have gone out for the post grad dip.

I'd hold out to Christmas eve I heard somewhere that people got their offers then.

h4n53n11

HSC
N/A
Thanks for replying again, you are a great help to me and my continual stress.

Thanks heaps please keep me updated on the course if you have time.

Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)