Applied Finance/Commerce at MQ suitable for Investment Banking? (1 Viewer)

Confound

HSC
I have never met anyone from non-G08 at any of my ib individual and group interviews in sydney. Take that as you will.

Though i'm assuming that degree will make you competitive if you manage to maintain 1st rank in MQ cohort as well as relevant experiences. Then you'll have no problem getting interviews at least.

But why not play it safe and just go to usyd/unsw?

if getting the necessary atar is an issue then you should prob be a bit conservative and lower any expectations of getting into ib

si2136

HSC
N/A
For IB, Finance is usually recommended, with additional degrees like Maths and Law can be really helpful.

It is rare for a Uni that isn't in G08 to make it into big 4, but nevertheless, you can always try, and transfer to another university.

Confound

HSC
For IB, Finance is usually recommended, with additional degrees like Maths and Law can be really helpful.

It is rare for a Uni that isn't in G08 to make it into big 4, but nevertheless, you can always try, and transfer to another university.
Which big 4 is this?

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
As much as I love Macquarie, if you want to break it into IB without any connection's you'd probably be better of attending a G08

pHyRe

HSC
from what ive heard its more about proving you have the right skills and aptitudes rather than knowledge.

i know people without commerce degrees getting interviews at IB. even heard of them recruiting at med events

whether the top ones rate macquarie highly i'm not sure, id imagine if you've got a 85-90+ average and the rest of your cv is good too you'll stand a shot

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
Shut up. Compare the Macquarie campus to WSU and you will see the big difference. Not that I am keen to go there but its a University with a lot of potential.
Campus =/= Academic integrity? LOL Don't tell me to shut up!!

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
Macquarie is good in both. WSU is no where near. I am sorry even though u r pre keen to go WSU.
Assumptions assumptions and assumptions. Your opinions become more and more invalid in every thread there is literally no reason to keep commenting.

Simorgh

HSC
Assumptions assumptions and assumptions. Your opinions become more and more invalid in every thread there is literally no reason to keep commenting.
Then so are yours. If you are saying mine are assumptions.

Is there is any other reason why I would be defending Macquarie so hard? I don't plan to go there but it is a pretty decent University and heaps better than WSU and UOW.

Last edited:

Kolmias

HSC
Ah look, the Go8ers are coming out of the woodwork trying to pretend that UNSW is somehow comparable to Oxford.

There's enough of this shit on Whirlpool without it spreading to BoS. :tongue:

Confound

HSC
Ah look, the Go8ers are coming out of the woodwork trying to pretend that UNSW is somehow comparable to Oxford.

There's enough of this shit on Whirlpool without it spreading to BoS. :tongue:
Pretending unsw is comparable to Oxford? No we are simply saying that in the real world, in Australia, you have literally no chance in making top tier roles coming from non-go8. Average students from go8s also have no chance. (Average meaning anything below 80 wam, shitty/no experience and shitty cover letters)

If you think you are the 1 in 10,000 exception then don't be discouraged. Aim for the University medal at whatever uni you're at and you should be fine

Kolmias

HSC
No we are simply saying that in the real world, in Australia, you have literally no chance in making top tier roles coming from non-go8.
:tongue: Any evidence to back that up champ or are we going to continue to rely on anecdotal evidence?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)