applied finance or commerce (1 Viewer)

korry

HSC
N/A
hey can someone please explain to me the difference between the applied finance courses and commerce. I was reading the UAC Guide and all I got out of it was that Applied Finance is more like bank and money based. Is Commerce a more general degree? Coz I'm still unsure on what I want to do.
Thanks. :)

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Commerce is more general, under commerce you can probably do anything from BBA to Applied Finance to Accounting to Actuarial to a heap of other things depending on UAI.

Applied financed is like a major. It basically involves Economics and Accounting towards the end of the degree.

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
its all accounting and economics.. and the odd acst class....

if your not really sure, maybe you should consider putting down the b. applied finance course before b. commerce (general) because if you decide later that you want to internally trasnfer, its much easier (by easier i mean a lower gpa criteria to satisfy) to trasnfer to b. commerce (general) than to b. applied finance.

please note that internally trasnferring to b. commerce (actuarials), b. commerce (marketing) have higher gpa requirements for trasnfer where as b. commerce (accounting) and b. commerce (general) is just a straight pass of all your subjects.

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
as flyin' said, think of b. applied finance as b. commerce with majors in finance at other uni's...

xing_chen

Assumed knowledge

Hello,Merry X'mas.
I am one of HSC graduates 2005.I got my UAI of 91.65, and now I am thinking of choosing the university course.B.applied finance and B. commece accounting in Macquire University is my first preference, but I know nothing about this course really.so can you spend a little time advising me please. my questions are :
a, what is the assumed knowledge of this course?
b, what do you study for this course?
c, Is its failed rate (drop-out rate) high in Macquire University?
d, I am a kind of math person, am I fit for this course?
e, Is this course hard for non-English background student to do well?
thank you. hope you have a nice holiday.

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
a. assumed knowledge is a band 2 in hsc math. if you don't satisfy that criteria, you will be able to take a math unit at uni in your first semester.

b. b. applied finance/ b. commerce - accounting, involves accounting, economics and some actuary classes, with the odd statistics and econometrics unit thrown in.

c. ??

d. so far, in applied finance, it really isn't math intensive. so you should be ok in it. i'm not sure about accounting.

e. no i don't think its hard for a student from a non- english background to do well in these courses provided you keep up with it.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
xing_chen said:
Hello,Merry X'mas.
I am one of HSC graduates 2005.I got my UAI of 91.65, and now I am thinking of choosing the university course.B.applied finance and B. commece accounting in Macquire University is my first preference, but I know nothing about this course really.so can you spend a little time advising me please. my questions are :
a, what is the assumed knowledge of this course?
b, what do you study for this course?
c, Is its failed rate (drop-out rate) high in Macquire University?
d, I am a kind of math person, am I fit for this course?
e, Is this course hard for non-English background student to do well?
thank you. hope you have a nice holiday.
a) possibly, 2U mathematics (otherwise, you can do a unit in mathematics, ie. math130 or math135) but you don't need it
b) you study accounting and economics, a splash of bba, one or two basic (relatively) actuarial, a unit of computing, a unit of statistics
c) drop out rate is a rate of people leaving/quiting uni. it isn't high.
d) if you're good at maths you might as well just do mathematics
e) there are many international students doing app fin or commerce, and some do well, some dont.. depends how much effort/time you put in.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
the level of maths isnt too great. the only subject that pushes it is ACST101, which is an advanced level of 2u financial maths.

if you have done 2u well you shouldnt have problems involving the maths in that degree.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)