Applying as a non-school leaver for 2015 medicine. (1 Viewer)

hollyandmay

HSC
Hi guys,
Today I received my university offers and unfortunately I was unsuccessful in my application to study medicine at James Cook for this year. (This was the only uni I applied to because of my poor 2013 UMAT score) I was however offered my second preference of Biomedical science at UQ. I am seeking opinion from anyone in what I should decisions I should make this year.
I have been offered the opportunity to take a gap year, to live and work in a rural-indigenous community in Western Australia where I could easily gain work experience in the local hospital and clinic. If I were to do this, I would also plan on taking some external degrees through Open Universities that are health and science related and would support my 2015 medicine applications. I am extremely determined to study medicine but I'm unsure of whether I should take my Biomedical Science offer to begin study this year or take a gap year to try and gain valuable experience and knowledge.

So, would it be advantageous to gain experience in areas that JCU is particularly focused on or would they prefer a non-year 12 student who has a begun a four year degree?

Medman

HSC
Your question is rather specific. You could easily enter JCU as either but it depends on your dedication and your ability to market yourself. A student of mine was offered a first round place at JCU despite having a second round interview and he's also an interstate candidate. He has exceptional extracurricular activities along with superb communication skills. With a little guidance I was able to help him ace his interview. In the end do you want medicine or do you want biomedical science? If you want medicine take a gap year gather your thoughts, get some exceptional experience and learn why you didn't make it the first time round.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)