• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

applying for cadetships (1 Viewer)

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
Newbie said:
deloitte = chillout town, in danger of falling into midtier, 9 tax partners just left omgbbq?!
Yeh, and EY got them.

nickwilson

HSC
does anyone know if firms have started taking applications yet??

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
magpam said:
I have a few questions

1. when do applications take place for both co-op and cadetships

2. do you have to apply for them seperately if you applying with different companies

3. Is a cadetship better or a job as an accounts clerk (or another accounting related job)

4. what is the approximate wage of a cadetship

5. I heard its really tirering to be a cadet and it isnt really worth, opinion is it true.

6. what is the difference between the accounting firms and which is the best to work for

and i think thats all the questions i want to ask...
...ok ill shut up now
I would usually try to help people out with their questions.... but you have more lazy questions than anything genuine. If you're too lazy to find out something like "when do applications take place" then working 9-5 with part time university won't be your thing.

Also, some real advice to life. There is no such thing as "better"... Amazed yet? Its a real world out there. You can't quantify everything.

You're essentially asking.. "Should I do this and where exactly"... Are you not an individual?

Last edited:

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
Well in that case I'll offer you an opinion!

1. Can't remember for sure, but I believe they close before the end of july.

2. A cadetship is no different to any other job. 1 complete application per company.

Cadetships come in an enormous range of fields; Auditing, insolvency, tax/legal, business consultancy.... Generally and moreso with mid-tier, large-tier and big4 firms, a cadetship is essentially a springboard to progression within the company. 100% job security means that there's no earlier way of getting your foot into the door of a place that you're genuinely interested in. Worst comes worst, 2 years of formal work experience in the accounting field won't exactly look bad on your CV. Also, upon graduation most firms will immediatly get you to work towards your CA/CPA.

Tiring? 9-5 and part-time university is a lot more work than a lot of people want to do, but in the big scheme of things I don't think its particularly daunting for someone with a strong work ethic.

That said, I have 6-7 mates from highschool currently working cadetships across the accounting spectrum. They've never been happier because its what they wanted.

Last edited:

pmtruong

HSC
To La Davina i started just this year with Deloitte as a cadet ..comin across from Horwath. I can confirm that Deloitte will be offfering cadetships next year although securing a spot in Deloitte will be very competitive as they are only offering 4 or 5 positions in Sydney which is the same intake as Horwath. Most probably 2 in Motor Industry Services 1 in Insolvency and 1 or 2 in Audit...which is what this years intake was. The details are up on the website: http://careers.deloitte.com/students_internships.aspx?CountryContentID=2566
Deloitte is a very supportive and friendly place to work at but at the same time it is very high performance and innovative...plus theres a fridge full o beers on every level haha and also a ping pong table on my level.
Feel free to shoot n e other questions at me.

pmtruong

HSC
err actually at Deloitte all the grads head to the chillout room for free drinks and chips on a friday. On level 5 we hold beer in one hand and play ping pong with the other. After a couple of hours we either head downstairs to Brooklyn bar or to a closeby bar...location changes week on week. We also have firmwide drinks every month so no you dont drink by urself unless ur a loner who wants to.

La Divina

maxin' and relaxin'
HSC
Thankyou pmtruong for that insightful information :p
Yes i do have some questions:
How many cadets did they take in your year? I heard somewhere or i might have read it or i might have even made this up, but is it true that Deloitte doesn't offer the 2+2 program but something else? I'm not sure but if it is different does it matter much? What is the process to get into Deloitte, do they have group interviews?
Thanks again =)

La Divina

maxin' and relaxin'
HSC
sorry im blind, i didn't realise that the intake figures you gave me were for your year !! so scratch the first question...

Last edited:

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
pmtruong said:
err actually at Deloitte all the grads head to the chillout room for free drinks and chips on a friday. On level 5 we hold beer in one hand and play ping pong with the other. After a couple of hours we either head downstairs to Brooklyn bar or to a closeby bar...location changes week on week. We also have firmwide drinks every month so no you dont drink by urself unless ur a loner who wants to.
I'm sure every firm does that.

pmtruong

HSC
Hi yeh speaking to HR they are going to take a similar intake number for this year within the same service lines that they did last year. What makes Deloitte different to the other big 4 is that they have something called the sandwhich program in contrast to the 2+2 program. In the 2+2 you attend full time work and part time uni in the first 2 years and then full time university and no work in the last 2 years.

The sandwhich that Deloitte offers will allow six months of ‘settle in’ time at university before doing full time university.
In the first semester of the next three years you do fulltime study with the option of working part time and in the second semester you study part time and work full time.

I personally would recommend the sandwhich as you get more work experience, get to alternate between uni and work meaning you can apply what you learnt at uni to work and also means you will continue to stay part of your work team through the whole 4 year program.

The recruitment process is as follows:

Application screening: the application form, cover letter, resume and academic results are reviewed against predefined criteria.

Information session: access to service representatives, service information and explanation about the recruitment process is offered to selected applicants.

Group activity: a half-day group session and informal one-on-one assessor meetings assess an applicant’s initiative, problem-solving, decision-making, communication and leadership skills. Students also get the chance to chat with Deloitte people, have something to eat and take an office tour.

Behavioural-based interview: a one-on-one behavioural-based interview with a Deloitte client director or partner lasts for approximately 45 minutes and is based on the theory that the best predictor of future behaviour is past behaviour.

Offer: successful applicants will receive a personal telephone call from a Deloitte employee offering a position with the firm. This is followed by a written letter of offer confirming all the details of employment.

As for social events there is a social committee for each service line that hold monthly events. They have quite a sizable budget so the events will always be great. For example we recently just had a Poker Tournament with actual tournament directors, gourmet pizza and a crapload of alcohol as well as a 30gb ipod for the winner and trophies for first and second runner up! …I was lucky enough to come third! So yeh heapsa fun to work here if u can get in…I can imagine it would be very competitive.

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
^

AFAIK sandwich program is 'available' across the big4, upon request and meeting certain requirements. By default they place everyone on 2+2 however.

La Divina

maxin' and relaxin'
HSC
Thanks for the info, sounds damn competitve!! How many people do u think applied in your year for Deloitte...just want to get an idea of my chances

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Vagabond said:
^

AFAIK sandwich program is 'available' across the big4, upon request and meeting certain requirements. By default they place everyone on 2+2 however.
IMO it greatly also depends on your firm's business requirements. Some divisions/departments have far more intense 'busy seasons' with extended periods of quietness throughout the year, whilst others have a far less volatile and evenly spread workload throughout the year. But like you said, by default, most people do 2+2. To the best of my knowledge, less than 1/5th of my intake are on Sandwich program.

If you want to discuss 2+2 vs. Sandwich, feel free to ask here (or better yet, make another Cadetship thread for it). We had a briefing on this not too long ago to help us decide and there are definitely benefits/advantages to each; but ultimately for me, I wanted to maintain my client contacts/bookings throughout my working time, and have the flexibility of arranging my part time work commitments during my final years of study to match my uni requirements and uni workload, as well as the option to take the "no work during full time uni" path.

sickone

HSC
My half yearly results are pretty bad within my school, but i go to one of the top 5 schools in syd and would still probably be expecting a UAI in the mid 90's. So i was wondering if firms take this into account when assessing academic performance.

roadcone

HSC
sickone said:
My half yearly results are pretty bad within my school, but i go to one of the top 5 schools in syd and would still probably be expecting a UAI in the mid 90's. So i was wondering if firms take this into account when assessing academic performance.
you will find that whilst academic performance is important, the thing most people are looking for when interviewing is how well you would fit into the firm and more specifically their team. from firsthand experience the thing that sticks in the mind of those interviewing you is not how smart you are, but how well you got along with them etc.

a mid 90 uai is perfect, you will be sweet.

LiZZiE123

HSC
hey everyone! i was really interested in the many cadetship positions that were offered last year from many of the accounting firms, unfortunately after applying to all of them, i got rejected. the worst part is that my little sister wants to apply for them as well this year, except i can't help her at all because i was rejected. does anyone have any advice for her on how to successfully tackle an online application for a cadetship position (she really likes kpmg). i would love to see her get called in for an interview. i would appreciate any piece of advice, that would be really fantastic. thank you so much in advance!

jordankuai22

HSC
LiZZiE123 said:
hey everyone! i was really interested in the many cadetship positions that were offered last year from many of the accounting firms, unfortunately after applying to all of them, i got rejected. the worst part is that my little sister wants to apply for them as well this year, except i can't help her at all because i was rejected. does anyone have any advice for her on how to successfully tackle an online application for a cadetship position (she really likes kpmg). i would love to see her get called in for an interview. i would appreciate any piece of advice, that would be really fantastic. thank you so much in advance!
1. nice bump
2. kinda missed the boat here. there are practically no more cadetships for this year on offer. ifyou havent applied

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)