Arabic? (1 Viewer)

Kittikhun

HSC
I'm not very savvy in regards to uni terminology, but for those who are doing a major in Arabic is it worth it? Is the teaching quality good (I have been hearing some bad stuff about language courses at USYD especially for French)? Would it be realistic to do a combined degree of Physics and Arabic?

Thanks.

witide

HSC
I know someone majoring in Arabic, and obviously loves it. And I don't see anything wrong with languages at USYD. I've studied French, Italian and Greek here, and they're all great. In fact, French has been my favourite.

Although with physics and Arabic, they don't really go together do they? You'd have to do either B Arts, with a major in Arabic, and physics can be your second major. Science/Arts would probably be more appropriate as a degree.

UncoKane

Huzzah!
HSC
Uni Grad
The languages are pretty good at USYD. Italian was taught really well, but I reckon French is going reaaaly slowly.

I know someone majoring in Arabic, and obviously loves it. And I don't see anything wrong with languages at USYD. I've studied French, Italian and Greek here, and they're all great. In fact, French has been my favourite.

Although with physics and Arabic, they don't really go together do they? You'd have to do either B Arts, with a major in Arabic, and physics can be your second major. Science/Arts would probably be more appropriate as a degree.
You can do Arabic in a Science degree...

witide

HSC
The languages are pretty good at USYD. Italian was taught really well, but I reckon French is going reaaaly slowly.

You can do Arabic in a Science degree...
Really? Strange, I thought Italian went slowly and French was really fast.

And yeh, forgot about that. Same subjects either way though, just a different degree.

Kittikhun

HSC
Last edited:

witide

HSC
Well I can't really compare to any other uni, but I've enjoyed all my language courses. In fact I'd say my language teachers have been the highest quality out of all the university instructors I've had.

USYD also has a much wider range of languages than other unis, from Arabic to Yiddish, and I always assumed it was the top uni in NSW in those areas. And for French, there are conversation classes run daily by the French society, and similarly by other language societies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)