Architecture at UNSW (1 Viewer)

Icee_tee

HSC
Can someone please explain to me the difference between Bachelor of Architectural Studies and Bachelor of Engineering in Civil Engineering with Architecture?
Which one is more useful?
and Can i even get into those courses with my subjects for HSC? (subjects shown in my signature)

orthentix

HSC
May I emphasise there are no pre-requisites, just get the atar required. However, extension eng and math are both very appropriate subjects to prepare you for the course.

Last edited:

orthentix

HSC
It aids communication of ideas, I'm not saying its necessary.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Don't know about Architecture but with Civil Engineering 3unit maths will help a LOT.

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
Can someone please explain to me the difference between Bachelor of Architectural Studies and Bachelor of Engineering in Civil Engineering with Architecture?
and Can i even get into those courses with my subjects for HSC? (subjects shown in my signature)
Bachelor of Civil Eng any day. Especially at UNSW.

Your subjects are fine. Engineering kids should have a 3/4 unit background when starting the degree.

Icee_tee

HSC
The bit highlighted is what i really want to know. can anyone explain? ty

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
UNSW Handbook Program - Engineering (Civil Eng w Arch) - 3624

UNSW Handbook Program - Architectural Studies - 3261

civ + arch is more of an engineering degree (i have a friend doing this), first year is common with all other engineering disciplines, then in your second year you go more into your own stream (ie civil), and is a 4 year degree.

arch studies looks like more of a design based subject with no engineering involved (from what i can tell by the subjects you have to take, i cant see any physics or mechanics or even math, lol, though there would probably be the architectural version of math, whatever that may be). Also it's a 3 year degree with an optional 4th year for honours.

From your hsc subjects i'd say the civil + arch would be better, since maths ext 1 would be very helpful. They say u need to be doing physics too, but uni physics is VERY different to highschool physics. Chemistry would also be helpful for when you do materials science and chem in second semester of first year (of civ/arch).

Also most likely better employability with a civil+arch degree rather than just an arch studies degree, but ultimately it's up to you what you wanna do.

If there's anything else you wanna know, then i'd suggest sending both faculties an email for a better answer than any of us could probably give you.

Last edited:

Icee_tee

HSC
UNSW Handbook Program - Engineering (Civil Eng w Arch) - 3624

UNSW Handbook Program - Architectural Studies - 3261

civ + arch is more of an engineering degree (i have a friend doing this), first year is common with all other engineering disciplines, then in your second year you go more into your own stream (ie civil), and is a 4 year degree.

arch studies looks like more of a design based subject with no engineering involved (from what i can tell by the subjects you have to take, i cant see any physics or mechanics or even math, lol, though there would probably be the architectural version of math, whatever that may be). Also it's a 3 year degree with an optional 4th year for honours.

From your hsc subjects i'd say the civil + arch would be better, since maths ext 1 would be very helpful. They say u need to be doing physics too, but uni physics is VERY different to highschool physics. Chemistry would also be helpful for when you do materials science and chem in second semester of first year (of civ/arch).

Also most likely better employability with a civil+arch degree rather than just an arch studies degree, but ultimately it's up to you what you wanna do.

If there's anything else you wanna know, then i'd suggest sending both faculties an email for a better answer than any of us could probably give you.
Wow, thanks soo much. YOU ARE AWESOME!
and btw, i wanted to choose civil+arch anyway. It was just that i saw this arch studies one day and got confused.
Do u study at UNSW? If so, what course?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)