Are cadetships as hot as they are made out to be? (1 Viewer)

miss-smexy

HSC
Hi guys!

I'm going to try out for cadetships and the coop programs. But I was talking to my friend today and she said that cadetships = long hours right into the night and you hardly get to go home and stuff during weekdays because of uni at night time. Is it possible to have a social life then? Is it stressful? Do you sometimes feel like you'd want to have a 'normal' uni student life?

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
I know around a dozen people currently doing cadetships. Half of them, who genuinely wanted it, are having great times. Some of them have even described it as "the time of their life" (their words not mine).
Those that are doing it for A) money, B) prestige, C) because its competitive are disliking it strongly.

The exact nature of your work will differ from company to company and division to division, with some people I know being worked a lot harder than others. Whats common however is the work + part-time uni factor.. Some people can handle it and even overload while doing a cadetship, others struggle. In the end its up to what you want and what you can hack!

I'll give a more personal opinion when I start in a few weeks. :p

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Meh I enjoy it.

It depends what you are looking to achieve. As Vagabond has mentioned, doing it for the wrong reasons will ultimately leave you feeling unhappy and miserable. BUt if you're doing it to genuinely learn something, meet people, and get a real taste of working life, as well as giving yourself a bit of a headstart on others- then it's the way to go. Ultimately you do get out what you put in.

I won't bluff and I will admit that you probably will have a bit of a cut into your free time compared to a full time uni student, but in my experience, I always manage to find free time on weekends to go out and even during the week after work I go out with both work and non-work friends, as well as to the gym. Of course you can't do this every single night- but I wouldn't exactly say I'm deprived of a social life.

Anyhow I'm off to go watch some TV, feel free to post any questions you may have... obviously some things can't be discussed on a forum so I'll probably see you at the ICAA evenings :)

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Vagabond said:
I'll give a more personal opinion when I start in a few weeks. :p
Taking time off uni to work in IB?

Aside, aren't cadets just cheap labour doing grunt work?

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
§eraphim said:
Taking time off uni to work in IB?

Aside, aren't cadets just cheap labour doing grunt work?
I would say that the conditions first year out of highschool are rather competitive.

Obviously a graduate has a higher salary, but he/she also has a three year degree under their belt. When you take this into account, Cadets recieve the same training earlier than graduates for relatively higher conditions in comparison to their age and qualifications.

As for grunt work? Both at big4, I have one friend who is currently the sole representative of his firm at a small client, and a second friend who stopped printing his mobile phone number on his business card because his clients keep calling him for information after work hours. Both are in their first year.

It's real work. Hence why cadets are promoted much faster.

Last edited:

ND

HSC
Vagabond said:
at big4, I have one friend who is currently the sole representative of his firm at a small client,
Joe's Deli?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Realistically speaking, in Audit at least, your first 2-6 months are going to be doing the most basic audit work with things like the famous "ticking and bashing", reading through finstats, and substantive testing (ie. agreeing supporting documentation) but then as you do these very basic tasks, you begin to understand and appreciate why we do those things, the risks associated with each section of the balance sheet, the consequences of overstating/understating, and the 'best practice' way that some transactions should be recorded. At first, when you find problems or mistakes you'll flag the exception for a more senior member to look at, but like I said, once you understand things a lot better, you'll be able to determine whether or not an exception is worth adjusting, or if there are even more serious potential risks which were not originally noted in the audit scope.

As a non-graduate, you will obviously face a much steeper learning curve whereby you are learning both on-the-job practice at the same time as learning the fundamental audit principles and concepts at uni, but by the time you reach your 2nd year of studies, the benefits will start flowing through.

For example, at uni recently we're learning about the basics of costing and transfer pricing (yes I know this is very basic to a graduate!), but then as the teacher explains it, for every scenario and situation for various divisions oncharging each other and so on, I can think of multiple examples from real life experience which it relates to. I'm someone who learns alot better when I can link a theory with something I've seen in the real world, and as a result, I've found Accounting and Finance at university this year so far considerably easier to follow than I did a year ago, when I started off doing full time uni study without commencing my full time work/cadetship yet (and yes this probably gives away which firm I work at...)

I'd really go into more detail but I'm off to watch TV =] ... but despite what many people say, you really do get out what you put in. If you're willing to give it a shot and try your best to learn as much as you can, you will definitely be rewarded (not necessarily just financial). The experience you get as a cadet is very different to a coop/vacation student's exposure- but that doesn't really belong in this discussion. I'm only mentioning it purely because if you're going to ask people their opinion on cadetship work, don't ask someone who hasn't actually done it as a cadet.

is a roflcopter
HSC
are cadets promoted faster? but considering the rate at which big4 goes up, they should be starting as seniors then?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Newbie said:
are cadets promoted faster? but considering the rate at which big4 goes up, they should be starting as seniors then?
Depends on the firm, but from what I've seen/heard, returning cadets start as Seniors outright whilst they study their CA as opposed to a normal grad who does their CA as a grad, and becomes a senior when they've finished CA.

Of course many other factors can come into play here such as when promotions are done, appraisal/review times, etc...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)