• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Are Cut-Offs Over-Rated? Has anyone noticed the exageration of the Cut-Offs? (1 Viewer)

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
LaraB said:
Although everyone is correct in saying, as i have said, that the cut off isn't predetermined but rather reflects the UAI of the student who had the lowest UAI of those accepted into the course, some do set a kind of b enchmark, which is why also, unpopular courses with heaps of vacancies don't always have a lower UAI in late rounds.

EG nursing at some uni's is 60UAI, and even though there is almost always vacancies after late rounds even, they dont lower this as it has become accepted that 60UAI is the lowest UAI acceptable for acceptance into a university course.

Same with some science courses - they maintain a high UAI, and some even only accept a handful of people, as the uni believes that a person with a lesser UAI would not be capable of successfully completing the course so it wouldnt be worthwhile accepting them
This is incorrect their are Uni with cutoffs of around 50, look at La trobe

Skeeta

HSC
My UAI was 86.7.. The course cut off in the newspaper was 87.10

I got into this course Main Round HECS

Shouldnt the cut off have been 86.7 or lower since the Cutoff is meant to be the UAI of the last (lowest person) that got in?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)