Are electives modified for difficulty???? (1 Viewer)

macca202

It seems EVERYONE agrees that the QUANTA to QUARKS elective was damn hard. some of the most randam shit in there.
So how will the BOS do the marking, will they modify them to be fair or what? BOS are stupid for making this elective so much harder, when the elective is already fucked up any way, i mean the last half of the option is such bullshit.
BOS:chainsaw:

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Well, they arn't meant too but ...

If they saw that everyone was getting full marks in the first section and low marks in the Q2Q and others were getting poor marks in the first section and most in the other electives then they might do some moderating ...

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
I don't know... I dont think so... btw, one of my friends (namely, Liviu), did the medical physics section because he didn't like Q2Q and didn't learn it. He read up on some med stuff the day before out of boredom, which helped him gain more marks in med than he would've got in quanta.... :D

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by BlackJack
I don't know... I dont think so... btw, one of my friends (namely, Liviu), did the medical physics section because he didn't like Q2Q and didn't learn it. He read up on some med stuff the day before out of boredom, which helped him gain more marks in med than he would've got in quanta.... :D
Really? Well, I thought I probably could have done some of the "age of silicon" without any extra study ...

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
You mean...: "Early computers use thermoionic devices. LAter computers used transistors and today comps use IC. Discuss impacts and limitations?" (7 marks, what a j/k :D)
...the amplifier one...
Or the LED and LDR? (you could work out how they work in the time you have in the exam :D)

okay... look at b) of med physics :D and a) and c) if you are sci/med journal savvy...

macca202

Thats absolute crap if they dont modify them!!!!!! so damn unfair!!!! COMPLAIN!!!! REBELLL!!!!! PROTEST!!!!! DESTROY!!!!!
KILL!!!!!!!

i looked for a website at the BOS. The dodgy mthfkrs dont even have an opinion(complaint) email. How do we ask about this or if we have to, complain about it. ?";?

macca202

And also, i had 75 minutes for Q2Q's so i thought i would have PLENTY of FKN time to finish it and fix up the rest of the ppr. Now i spent ages trying to make sense of that decay graph (which im sure has nothing to do with damn sylabus - its not even in my Jackaranda txt bk) and the wavelength, and spent 3 pages worth of trees trying to get somthing aout of the 7 marker, and i only had 5 MINUTES LEFT!!! now this ment i could not check the rest of the paper, so basically i was DOUBLY SCREWWED!!!!!!!:chainsaw: , i want to fucking kill someone. So how will i get compensated for that? i wont fuckyou's!!! (i actually am angry) now if they dont modify the marks, then i might have to be forced to blow somthing up, and blame it on.....

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by macca202
And also, i had 75 minutes for Q2Q's so i thought i would have PLENTY of FKN time to finish it and fix up the rest of the ppr. Now i spent ages trying to make sense of that decay graph (which im sure has nothing to do with damn sylabus - its not even in my Jackaranda txt bk) and the wavelength, and spent 3 pages worth of trees trying to get somthing aout of the 7 marker, and i only had 5 MINUTES LEFT!!! now this ment i could not check the rest of the paper, so basically i was DOUBLY SCREWWED!!!!!!!:chainsaw: , i want to fucking kill someone. So how will i get compensated for that? i wont fuckyou's!!! (i actually am angry) now if they dont modify the marks, then i might have to be forced to blow somthing up, and blame it on.....
I'm afraid the graph IS in the Jacaranda textbook (although I only became aware of this AFTER the exam ...)

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
hmm... go to the UNSW Physics Boards and sites... I remember on the issue of 'correct' science when they ask dodgy quesion they advised you to put question incomplete, mark the 'right' answer and complain afterwards...
Look around there for methods of protest :)...

Bob

ummm they have to standardise the options.
they don't make them all worth the same. they compare how you went in the rest of the test to how you went in your option and adjust the means and standard deviations accordingly.
since its not common it must be standardised to ensure fairness.

eg.
everyone that did quanta to quarks went heaps good in section I but crap in the option.
everyone that did age of silicon went heaps average in section I but heaps good in the option.

well there is obviously a discepency over the difficulty there. and its adjusted. same as they do for standard and advanced english. by using the common change section to adjust the marks in the other sections since the rest of the test isnt' common

great_gregory

I'm really just OK...
HSC
Well, i don't care if they do scale the sections differently. I did astrophysics, and i reckon i did alright in it. In our class we had a huge fight/debate over what option we were going to do, and i'm soooo glad we did astrophysics. I just took a look at the q2q option questions, and they look completely sh*t!.

:cool: :graduate: :drink: :disco:

Bob

what i forgot to add in my post before was the reason why a lot of you guys might think they don't scale the marks.
The new HSC didn't get rid of scaling it got rid of standardising to bell curves which is what they used to do. so marks will still be adjusted but they won't be adjusted to fit the perfect distribution.

I'm pretty sure this is the way they do it. They pool togethor all the marks everyone that did q2q got in Part A and Part B section I and then redistribute them at the ratio of your marks in the option section. The same is done for all the other options.
This means that the option that had the people that went the best in the rest of the test (in theory the best physicists) will always have the highest mean because they have more marks to redistribute.

This doesn't mean to say you can't get 25/25 if you did an easy option. you can. you will just have to excel well above the average in you option which may require you to get 25/25. However in quanta to quarks you may very well require a mark of about 22 to get scaled to 25 because of the difficulty of the option in comparision. its all relative guys :] (had to chuck in the cheesy physics joke. sorry)

Smurfwow

Member Assistant
HSC
lets say for instance the q2q people, on average, dont do better than the astro ppl in the main part of the test. that wouldn't change the fact that q2q was 800 bazillion times harder than astro.

btw, i did astro, and it was at least twice as easy as the main part of the test.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
yep, like Liviu, one of the ppl at our school did Age of Silicon, simple coz he knew some stuff out of general knowledge (he did SDD and IT VET) and the 7 marker was pretty easy in that option

Bob

smurfwow the fact that people that did q2q went better in the main part and worse in the option does matter.
because they have to standardise all non-common content.
ie the options

and the only way they can do that is by using the rest of the test.
and it makes sense to assume the people that went the best in the rest of the test should go the best in the options.
not as individuals. but as a group.

Ace-Pilot

Originally posted by Bob

everyone that did quanta to quarks went heaps good in section I but crap in the option.
everyone that did age of silicon went heaps average in section I but heaps good in the option.

Haha, Age Of Silicon Rulez, Even If they asked any kind of question for that topic ide be able to answer it with no trouble at all, I know that topic inside-out.

Well, heres a thought, How bout Finding the paper really easy and when u look at the option questions (AOS) you gotta redifine EASY!

I pity all u Q2Q guys ? what were u thinking when u did that topic ? Wait i bet your teacher picked it or it was a class vote right ? Well we all got to do our Own option and our teacher would help us with it, I was the only one in my class that did Age of Silicon and well as u guys stated "you could've done it better than your option" which is quite true.

Anewayz i know im braggin like hell, but i couldn't help it after reading this thread.
:D :D :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)