Are notes essential for a 97+ atar? (1 Viewer)

knxd

HSC
Sup

Is it necessary to have notes to get a good atar?
Doing past question/dot point question seems more effective than writing notes

esp since i have 2 weeks till half yearlies, should i waste time writing notes?

Aysce

HSC
Each individual has their own way of studying and consolidating their knowledge. Some people may write notes to help cement their knowledge, whilst others may dive straight into past papers. It varies from person to person and essentially comes down to personal preference ie. Do what works well for you. There is no X method that equates to a Y ATAR.

If you find that notes are a waste of time and past papers/questions are much more effective for you, then by all means do past papers.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
No they aren't essential. What is essential is the prep that is most useful for you personally, and it's not necessarily writing your own notes. Others prefer using other people's notes and doing past questions, working on essay scaffolds etc.

Here's a quote from another mod that pretty well sums it up, basically the methods for people to achieve conceptual understanding and that differ, but;

Also, something very important I found out when I was studying is that it's what's in your brain that counts, not what's on your notes.
So in the end, do what best helps YOU learn.

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
Do problems and write out dot points, then chuck them away. As soon as I wrote something down, I never looked at it again (except to mark it)

WeaselPowa

HSC
Interesting question, but I really do believe it depends on how the person likes to learn.

If you like doing streams of past papers, go straight ahead, because it will give you heaps of experience on different types of questions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)